Pre-Game Talk: SENS vs Red Wings Thurs. 7:30 pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I tell you why. Pageau and Tierney are very similar player in terms of skill level and their roll on the team. They are both too good to be on the 4th line and quite not as good to be a genuine top 2 center. If White continues to develop and produce, then where do you slot in Tierney and Pageau. I'd rather move one of them to get a good return(if that is possible), then have them move to wing. We have a lot of younger natural wingers who can do that.

My point is simple. Both are natural C, smart, defensively reliable and can net 40 points. So, use one of them to improve our number 1 need, rather having 2 redundant filling in a role that's not one of our immediate needs

Tierney is 24 years old and has never played a full season as a top 6 forward and now that he has been put in that position he is on pace for well over 40 points. So thats where we differ, I think he is a much better player than you do. Also I dont see why you just cant have 4 good centermen considering all the elite teams are rolling 4 lines right now and thats how you go deep in the playoffs.

So given the injuries that happen and potential untapped potential of Tierney moving forward as he enters his prime, I dont think its clear or simple that they dont have room for both players.

Last edited:

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Tierney is 24 years old and has never played a full season as a top 6 forward and now that he has been put in that position he is on pace for well over 40 points. So thats where we differ, I think he is a much better player than you do. Also I dont see why you just cant have 4 good centermen considering all the elite teams are rolling 4 lines right now and thats how you go deep in the playoffs.

So given the injuries that happen and potential untapped potential of Tierney moving forward as he enters his prime, I dont think its clear or simple that they dont have room for both players.

I am not debating how good or bad Tierney is. I am only debating that maybe we are better off as a team if we trade one of Pageau or Tierney to fix one of our dire weakness, which is defense.

I don't care which one goes as far as who's netting back the best possible return. Since Tierney is younger and showing potential, maybe we can net something better to fill our wholes, and with Pageau coming back we won't skip a beat upfront in our Center depth chart.

I personally think having 1 of them play on the 4th line is a waste, or even moving one of them to the wing, when you can flip one of them for a Defensman

Reactions: DrEasy

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Batherson being sound in his own end is part of his scouting report. Then again so is being a scorer. Both of which he’s accomplished in junior. So to say he’s one but not the other is to disregard the entire report really. Now, how he’s able to perform at both at the NHL right away is in question. But I don’t think it’ll be long.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If I had to choose between Tierny & Pageau I think I would keep Tierny since he is a yr younger & he's cheaper, right now anyway. Not sure what kind of return Pageau would get but I think White has the capacity to be a very good two way player with the potential to be better than Pageau. Long term I think they could move both Tierny & Pageau since Ottawa has lots of options coming at centre with Chlapik, Brown & Norris coming soon who may all project to have more offence to their game than those two, we'll see I guess.

Reactions: Cosmix and DrEasy

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
If I had to choose between Tierny & Pageau I think I would keep Tierny since he is a yr younger & he's cheaper, right now anyway. Not sure what kind of return Pageau would get but I think White has the capacity to be a very good two way player with the potential to be better than Pageau. Long term I think they could move both Tierny & Pageau since Ottawa has lots of options coming at centre with Chlapik, Brown & Norris coming soon who may all project to have more offence to their game than those two, we'll see I guess.

I'll be pretty disappointed if white doesn't become a better player than JGP.

Reactions: DrEasy

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Me too, that's why this crop of prospects hold so much promise for a decent future for this team. I also hope Brown becomes that big #1 centre Ottawa has needed since the departure of Spezza & Chlapik looks like he could be a good centre & Norris is looking great in Michigan. IMO Ottawa is set at centre for the next decade if everything plays out the way we hope.

And Tkachuk could become the powerforward they have always coveted & Batherson looks like he could be a top 6 forward & Formenton will be one of the fastest players in the NHL. Their future looks good IMO.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

After a disappointing start to his pro career (imo) I thought Pageau would be a good safe landing spot for his development projection at one point, but he's since displayed some sustained play that has me excited about him again. Glad to see him playing so well, and reminding me why Pierre McGuire is so high on him.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I wonder if Boedker, Pageau & Wideman would return a young top line LWer? WOW, that's $8 mil right there. :eek: That could pay for a pretty good player.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I think White has done quite a bit more this year, on a per game basis, than Pageau did last year. Pageau was really mediocre last year though and I expect he will play most of his career above that level.

I am a big time believer in White's potential and his ability to reach it but JGP has a decent track record and two playoff hattricks.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
After a disappointing start to his pro career (imo) I thought Pageau would be a good safe landing spot for his development projection at one point, but he's since displayed some sustained play that has me excited about him again. Glad to see him playing so well, and reminding me why Pierre McGuire is so high on him.
Is the Pierre McGuire reference to when he projected him for something insane like 70 points? I swear he was talking about Brown in that interview and just got the two players names mixed up.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Is the Pierre McGuire reference to when he projected him for something insane like 70 points? I swear he was talking about Brown in that interview and just got the two players names mixed up.
Idk about any 70 pts projection but everytime Pierre talks about him he's giving him glowing reviews and previously he would criticize the team for not putting him in a situation to succeed (like when he'd get 7 mins a night)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad