Pre-Game Talk: SENS vs Leafs tonight ons SportsNet

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
That was an example of bad Harpur making an unforced error by trying to pass across the middle deep in his own zone worse still when he's on his wrong side. He shouldn't be doing that anymore he's not that new.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Harpur is not positionally sound enough nor fast enough to make those kind of mistakes. He got exposed in the Rangers series. Bottom pairing at best

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Hyperbole? [mod]

Name me one other team in the past decade who have had 4 #6/7's on their starting roster and I'll be impressed.

Or even better, offer some substance and tell me what we have on our backend that is better without Karlsson.
You’re the one who made the claim. Show evidence that this is the worst d in the past decade. Burden of proof is on you

Last edited by a moderator:

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Lajoie looks good. I'd argue better than Jaros and Lajoie is a year younger.

Lajoie should be on the team now by the looks of him. He, Wolanin, and Chabot obviously would help ease the D pain collectively. But then we’d still have Beavis and Butthead to contend with in Ceci, and DeMelo.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
You name one. You’re the one who made the claim. Show evidence that this is the worst d in the past decade. Burden of proof is on you
I can't because there hasn't been a team in the past 10 years that have had a D core as bad as ours (#4, #4, #6/7, #6/7, #6/7, #6/7, #6/7). That's why I asked if you could provide one as you seem to be objecting the claim...

We have: Chabot, Wideman and Wolanin as PP options, and Ceci, Boro and Demelo as PK options (we will have one of Wolanin/Wideman/Chabot PKing on the 2nd unit)

Thomas Chabot as our #1. Will be playing 23+ minutes most nights, should be in a #4 role and move up the lineup as he grows and matures. Being thrust into a #1 role too early, with 0 insulation.

Cody Ceci as our #2. Ceci has been eaten alive playing the #2 role the past 2 seasons. He is now going to be playing on the top pairing with the best partner he has had in Chabot, but will be getting added responsibility with no Karlsson.

Mark Borowiecki as our #3/4. He's never started a season above a #6 role. He's a #6 at best, and would be a #7 on most teams. We've watched him the past 5 years, we are about to watch him play 20 mins a night against guys like Tavares/Matthews. It's going to be a bloodbath, figuratively and literally. .

Chris Wideman as our #3/4. Again, he's a #6 ideally, healthy scratch on many teams in the league. Will get pp time on the 2nd unit.

Christian Wolanin as our #5. Looks good in his short time. Will be our best bottom 4 D.

Demelo as our #6. Wasn't even qualified in San Jose. Playing in his correct slot as a #6/7.

Ben Harper. Will be our #7, not much of an NHLer.

If you have any points you'd like to make or counter anything, I'm all ears, though I'm not expecting it.

But yes, we would be worse defensively with Karlsson :lol:

And also, crying to the mods :laugh: This guy

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I can't because there hasn't been a team in the past 10 years that have had a D core as bad as ours (#4, #4, #6/7, #6/7, #6/7, #6/7, #6/7). That's why I asked if you could provide one as you seem to be objecting the claim...

We have: Chabot, Wideman and Wolanin as PP options, and Ceci, Boro and Demelo as PK options (we will have one of Wolanin/Wideman/Chabot PKing on the 2nd unit)

Thomas Chabot as our #1. Will be playing 23+ minutes most nights, should be in a #4 role and move up the lineup as he grows and matures. Being thrust into a #1 role too early, with 0 insulation.

Cody Ceci as our #2. Ceci has been eaten alive playing the #2 role the past 2 seasons. He is now going to be playing on the top pairing with the best partner he has had in Chabot, but will be getting added responsibility with no Karlsson.

Mark Borowiecki as our #3/4. He's never started a season above a #6 role. He's a #6 at best, and would be a #7 on most teams. We've watched him the past 5 years, we are about to watch him play 20 mins a night against guys like Taveares/Matthews. It's going to be a bloodbath, figuatively and literally. .

Chris Wideman as our #3/4. Again, he's a #6 ideally, healthy scratch on many teams in the league. Will get pp time on the 2nd unit.

Christian Wolanin as our #5. Looks good in his short time. Will be our best bottom 4 D.

Demelo as our #6. Wasn't even qualified in San Jose. Playing in his correct slot as a #6/7.

Ben Harper. Will be our #7, not much of an NHLer.

If you have any points you'd like to make or counter anything, I'm all ears, though I;'m not expecting it.

But yes, we would be worse defensively with Karlsson :lol:

And also, crying to the mods :laugh: This guy
Again for you to make the claim that this is the worst d corps of the last decade you should back it up. You can’t, because the season hasn’t happened yet. If we give up the most goals out of any team over the last decade, THEN and only then can you make that claim. Right now you’re stating a guess as a fact. Your prediction is that they will end up being the worst d corps. That’s it. Let the season play out. To me, some of the sabres and leafs teams over the last few years before the leafs were good will hold that claim. Especially the McDavid draft year sabres

Reactions: swiftwin

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Hyperbole? [mod]

Name me one other team in the past decade who have had 4 #6/7's on their starting roster and I'll be impressed.

Or even better, offer some substance and tell me what we have on our backend that is better without Karlsson.

We have potential on defense with Chabot, Wolanin, Lajoie, Jaros (and then JBD and Tychonick)

Problem, they are all still very young with little pro experience.

I doubt that any of Englund, Bergman, DeMelo and Harpur (that looked more promising at one point) will be more than 6th, 7th or cup-of-coffee D-men.

All of this is pretty unfair to Ceci and Wideman.

Chabot-Karlsson
Wolanin-Ceci
Harpur/Boro-Wideman
DeMelo

That defense would have made a lot more sense in a year you don't have your 1st round pick. But Melnyk doesn't seem to care about that... At least until the deadline to give the young guys more experience?

Last edited by a moderator:

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Again for you to make the claim that this is the worst d corps of the last decade you should back it up. You can’t, because the season hasn’t happened yet. If we give up the most goals out of any team over the last decade, THEN and only then can you make that claim. Right now you’re stating a guess as a fact. Your prediction is that they will end up being the worst d corps. That’s it. Let the season play out. To me, some of the sabres and leafs teams over the last few years before the leafs were good will hold that claim. Especially the McDavid draft year sabres

I fully expect that FACTS will fall on deaf ears around here. Who needs facts when you have emotional breakdowns?

Reactions: FormentonTheFuture

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
The Leafs and Buffalo D were pretty bad as well but they're goaltending was probably their biggest weakness.

The Avalanche had one of the worst seasons in recent memory. For comparison, their D looked like this:

Beauchemin-Barrie
Tyutin-Johnson
Wiecioch-Zadorov
Barbero
Goloubef

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad