Post-Game Talk: Sens vs Leafs in lands newly found (5:30 p.m. ET)

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I remain very skeptical about Formenton's upside in the NHL. He is fast but this is the best of the best: he may remain quick but the difference between his best and everyone else's is not as pronounced and he doesn't have much going for him outside of the speed factor.

I just think they need to take their time with him, hopefully he gets lots of opportunity in Belleville in scoring situations pp first line etc.

I think he is a guaranteed 3rd line player I just hope he ends up being better than that. If he starts on the team this year he will never be anything more than an energy guy as you are correct he clearly lacks scoring ability.

Reactions: Cosmix

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I was never impressed with Kadri's game against the puck.
Also, he scored 30 goals only twice...both times he scored almost half of his goals on the PP when he was part of a strong group with several top players on it. On his own, he's not elite...not offensively and not defensively. We'll find out about Norris but I'd be very disappointed if he doesn't become a better player than Kadri.
That's just extremely, extremely, extremely unrealistic expectations

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Well, they'll have Chabot once the real season starts up, and Brannstrom has been moving the puck well; he's the one that likely was competing with Wolanin. Not like Ebert, Englund or Goloubef were ever going to be in the lineup

Agreed, but my concern about Brannstrom’s size and readiness are increasing after watching him in the games he has played so far.

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
I remain very skeptical about Formenton's upside in the NHL. He is fast but this is the best of the best: he may remain quick but the difference between his best and everyone else's is not as pronounced and he doesn't have much going for him outside of the speed factor.

At this point (pre- season), I'm more worried about the disappearing Drake.

Reactions: Cosmix

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
That's just extremely, extremely, extremely unrealistic expectations

Maybe, but we'll find out.
I always liked Norris and his skillset is certainly on a different level than Kadri's. Injuries hindered his development but he's gonna be a good one if he manages to stay healthy.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Agreed, but my concern about Brannstrom’s size and readiness are increasing after watching him in the games he has played so far.

Me too, I have watched him in about 10 pro games now and I just havent seen the elite skill to overcome his lack of size to get to an elite level. Again thats not a big sample size but I havent seen it... He was phenomenal in the WJC when I saw him but like many other young players in this organization I dont think its time for him to be with the big team.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Maybe, but we'll find out.
I always liked Norris and his skillset is certainly on a different level than Kadri's. Injuries hindered his development but he's gonna be a good one if he manages to stay healthy.

Kadri's antics and badittude cast a long shadow over how good of a player he is.

Brannstrom's vision/intelligence was on display last night. He just needs to get used to the NHL and get stronger.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Fair point, too but even half-assing a game, you still shouldn't let in two such bad goals or risk a suicide pass from behind the net.

Spezza should be lucky he even got a contract at this point. He was beyond awful in Dallas. If he has his spot locked up, that would be kinda concerning for the Leafs. He's still useful on the PP but if he continues to play like yesterday or last season, he probably has to hang up his skates before we even reach 2020.

I think Spezza has a signed guaranteed contract for one year.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I think Spezza has a signed guaranteed contract for one year.

He sure has. But at 700k, even Toronto can afford to bury him if necessary. What he showed the last two seasons (besides PP) isn't good enough to play at NHL level.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I used to like Barrie...only started to take a closer look after reading all the hate he got on hfboards. Every offensive defenseman has his brainfarts but Barrie isn't an elite defender at NHL level. He can be excellent for a stretch but he's unable to play consistently over a full season.

Also, Norris, if he can stay healthy, is gonna be much better than Kadri ever was...hopefully also minus his brainfarts.

If Norris can be as good as Kadri, I would be happy. I doubt he will be but he has a chance to be.

Reactions: Bileur

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Norris' upside isn't even close to Nazem Kadri. Kadri was an immensely better offensive player at a young age. [mod]

Kadri definitely had a lot more offensive upside than Norris at the same age. Kadri has way better hands imo than Norris.

Having said that, I don't think he's really realized that upside outside of that one lockout season, or rather it hasn't been taken advantage of.

Norris is highly unlikely to become what people hoped Kadri would be. What Kadri has become however, is at least somewhat more attainable.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
If Norris can be anywhere close to the hockey player Kadri is, that's a massive win for us.

A Kadri skill-set (with Kadri's reported non-skill issues notwithstanding) would have to be considered Norris's absolute best-case-scenario ceiling. I think it's a long shot he gets there.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Kadri definitely had a lot more offensive upside than Norris at the same age. Kadri has way better hands imo than Norris.

Having said that, I don't think he's really realized that upside outside of that one lockout season, or rather it hasn't been taken advantage of.

Norris is highly unlikely to become what people hoped Kadri would be. What Kadri has become however, is at least somewhat more attainable.
I think Kadri turned out as good/better than he projected. At least I never saw a ppg guy or anywhere near it in London.

A 50-60 point goalscorer who is a pain in the ass to play against at 7th overall is a grand slam in my books, especially on the 3rd line as it has the past few years with Matthews/Tavares/Bozak ahead of him.

I think Norris will settle into the 15-25 type career, Pageau like offensive numbers. Very good guy to have on your 3rd line, that can jump into a 2nd line role when needed. .

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

I can't see that. Kadri playing on the third line last year had 44 points in 73 games and has multiple 30 goal seasons. I can't see Norris ever sniffing 30 and if he ever comes close to 44 points, itll be playing in a bigger role than 3rd line C. He just doesn't have the creativity or hands to produce like that. He also doesnt have anywhere near the edge of Kadri either.

Norris is pretty far away from the same league as Kadri. Brown would be a more fair comparison in terms of overall value.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
I thought the choice of Duclair on the PK was a master stroke. We have all been told that Duclair is great with the puck, terrible without it. By putting Duclair on the PK, he has a job that does not involve offense, just defense. He knows he is not long for the NHL unless he can convince a coach he can play without the puck. So the coach says "show me" and Duclair has to respond. If he can focus on the PK, perhaps that will help him improve him across all three zones defensively. I really hope it works, if not I can see Duclair being shipped out at the trade deadline for a 4th to a team needing speed and offense for the playoff drive.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think Kadri turned out as good/better than he projected. At least I never saw a ppg guy or anywhere near it in London.

A 50-60 point goalscorer who is a pain in the ass to play against at 7th overall is a grand slam in my books, especially on the 3rd line as it has the past few years with Matthews/Tavares/Bozak ahead of him.

I think Norris will settle into the 15-25 type career, Pageau like offensive numbers. Very good guy to have on your 3rd line, that can jump into a 2nd line role when needed. .

Fair enough, maybe I just fell into the leafs fan hype machine.

I honestly haven't been too impressed with Norris, but he's coming off surgery, so I am giving him the benefit of the doubt. I tend to agree he looks like a potential Pageau type, not Kadri, but time will tell.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I can't see that. Kadri playing on the third line last year had 44 points in 73 games and has multiple 30 goal seasons. I can't see Norris ever sniffing 30 and if he ever comes close to 44 points, itll be playing in a bigger role than 3rd line C. He just doesn't have the creativity or hands to produce like that. He also doesnt have anywhere near the edge of Kadri either.

Norris is pretty far away from the same league as Kadri. Brown would be a more fair comparison in terms of overall value.

Counterpoint: Tierney managed 48 pts playing mostly with a combination of Boedker. Ryan or Balcers. Norris reminds me a bit of Fisher, another guy that was never mistake for creative with the puck, but through his physical gifts and hard work could pot 20-25 goals and ~50 pts.

Obviously, a 25 goal 50 pts Fisher Clone is close to the ideal scenario for Norris and that's a shade behind where Kadri has wound up, but stranger things have happened.

Reactions: coladin

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Formenton and Tierney had good chemistry beginning of last season iirc
Maybe they should be reunited?

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Kadri's antics and badittude cast a long shadow over how good of a player he is.

Brannstrom's vision/intelligence was on display last night. He just needs to get used to the NHL and get stronger.

Was at Mastercard Center this morning... they still have Kadri's face on the door for locker room 1C... Leafs must be running out of money... :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad