Low Effort GDT Sens vs Leafs | Bellevegas Edition | Friday Sept. 30th, 7PM | SN1

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I agree the lines are in a blender but I don’t think it’s fair to paint these guys as random players, everyone but Rubins has already played in the Sens “system” either in Ottawa or in Belleville where Mann says he implements a system similar to DJ’s for consistency.

Several years into his coaching tenure it should be more clear what to expect of players defensively.
Not a single team we have faced has looked good from a ‘systems’ stand point, including tonight

It’s preseason, so it always comes down to effort level and individual skill as opposed to any kind of team play.

The best thing about this game in my opinion, and to me the most important, was how good the PP looked as the game went on. Great chemistry on display.

lot of emotional fluctuations from in here. I think folks need to reevaluate their expectations and realign them with what the team has said, what players have said, and what the coach and manager has said.

Meaningful games at the TDL…. Not playoffs, not cup, not amongst the best teams in the league. We’re not making that huge of a leap in one season.

Reactions: Yak and Bileur

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I agree the lines are in a blender but I don’t think it’s fair to paint these guys as random players, everyone but Rubins has already played in the Sens “system” either in Ottawa or in Belleville where Mann says he implements a system similar to DJ’s for consistency.

Several years into his coaching tenure it should be more clear what to expect of players defensively.
Fair enough those are legitimate points. Perhaps it could have been better that definitely could have contributed. But they were out worked tonight. One team was more desperate. It happens, lets see how the 2nd group does tomorrow.

Reactions: Bileur

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Not a single team we have faced has looked good from a ‘systems’ stand point, including tonight

It’s preseason, so it always comes down to effort level and individual skill as opposed to any kind of team play.

The best thing about this game in my opinion, and to me the most important, was how good the PP looked as the game went on. Great chemistry on display.

lot of emotional fluctuations from in here. I think folks need to reevaluate their expectations and realign them with what the team has said, what players have said, and what the coach and manager has said.

Meaningful games at the TDL…. Not playoffs, not cup, not amongst the best teams in the league. We’re not making that huge of a leap in one season.

I’m not panicking at all. Bert is right about it being preseason and vets having low effort, nonetheless it is a concerning pattern we’ve seen at the start of seasons for a few years now. Hopefully it gets sorted out before the games start to count. We know DJ is on the hot seat and can’t afford another bad start.

On the bright side, Crookshank continues to impress. I think we’ve got a player there.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I’m not panicking at all. Bert is right about it being preseason and vets having low effort, nonetheless it is a concerning pattern we’ve seen at the start of seasons for a few years now. Hopefully it gets sorted out before the games start to count. We know DJ is on the hot seat and can’t afford another bad start.

On the bright side, Crookshank continues to impress. I think we’ve got a player there.
I understand that given the D we have iced the last two seasons, it does look eerily similar to a preseason game lol!

Yeah Crookshank looked good again, and I thought Boucher looked good as well and was starting to showcase some skills as the game went on. He’s a nifty player.

The expectations have risen in terms of DJ for sure, and he knows it as he’s talked about it. The expectations still have to be reasonable, we need to take a step this year towards making the playoffs a realistic expectations. It’s a big step from last season, but we aren’t likely to take a huge leap.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Ottawa has yet to play a game this preseason where anyone knew where to be in their own end.

D zone structure looked fine to me, problem was the amount of turnovers. They struggled to recover when the puck was turned over. Was my first opportunity to watch this preseason and was expecting more from JBD based on some things I’ve heard. He really struggled with the puck under pressure, he has to move it quicker. Really uncharacteristic effort from Zub too.

Reactions: bert

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021
No one is panicking yet but I think there's reason to be concern a little bit at least, if we lose versus Montreal that will not be good

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Was at the game and thought Chabot really struggled tonight. He is very passive on the PP. He doesn't shoot and will defer to wings 9 out of 10 times. There is no threat from the point on the pp. I'd like to see Zub, Branny or Sanderson get a chance

Reactions: bert

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Absolutely false. Tonight we clearly outshined them in individual skill and matched in hustle (minus Chabot and Zub). But the Leaf guys were all where they were supposed to be. Their passes were to areas where they knew where the other guy was going to be. They 1000% exhibited a system. We lost 6-2 to a C team with half our A team that have been here for a couple seasons. This is as big a wakeup call as can possibly be even in pre-season.

Reactions: K1900L and H2O

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Absolutely false. Tonight we clearly outshined them in individual skill and matched in hustle (minus Chabot and Zub). But the Leaf guys were all where they were supposed to be. Their passes were to areas where they knew where the other guy was going to be. They 1000% exhibited a system. We lost 6-2 to a C team with half our A team that have been here for a couple seasons. This is as big a wakeup call as can possibly be even in pre-season.
No. They out husltled us by a large degree until we were down and then we had to try and make a game if it

No, they weren’t beating us with ‘systems’….

But it’s the new thing….

Buck up dude, it’s preseason and you’re worrying like a ….

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Batherson with Stützle was the pairing of the night, they seem to have great chemistry naturally and compliment each other’s skill set. Lots of pretty passes and chances between them

Reactions: senswon and bert

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Was at the game and thought Chabot really struggled tonight. He is very passive on the PP. He doesn't shoot and will defer to wings 9 out of 10 times. There is no threat from the point on the pp. I'd like to see Zub, Branny or Sanderson get a chance

That's not a Chabot issue, it's how the PP is designed. They work mostly off Stutzle or look for the one-timer to Norris. Having a different player there won't create more point shots, because those aren't the looks they are trying to create.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
D zone structure looked fine to me, problem was the amount of turnovers. They struggled to recover when the puck was turned over. Was my first opportunity to watch this preseason and was expecting more from JBD based on some things I’ve heard. He really struggled with the puck under pressure, he has to move it quicker. Really uncharacteristic effort from Zub too.

I was disappointed with JBD last night too, but having an off game when the entire team seemed off isn't all that surprising. I do think he looked much better in his other game.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That's not a Chabot issue, it's how the PP is designed. They work mostly off Stutzle or look for the one-timer to Norris. Having a different player there won't create more point shots, because those aren't the looks they are trying to create.
Bit of a chicken and the egg scenario, if we had a guy with a bomb of a shot for example we likely adapt the pp system to take advantage. I think Chabot is better on the PP than he's given credit for and generally agree with you but I do wish he was more of a shooting threat.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Batherson with Stützle was the pairing of the night, they seem to have great chemistry naturally and compliment each other’s skill set. Lots of pretty passes and chances between them

I don't think there's anyone on the team that doesn't have chemistry with Batherson. He's a lot like Stone in that way where he just clicks with everyone.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Chicken and egg.

Chabot doesn't score pp goals. If he could it would create more space for Norris and stutzle. Everyone knows Chabot cant/won't score from the point.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Bit of a chicken and the egg scenario, if we had a guy with a bomb of a shot for example we likely adapt the pp system to take advantage. I think Chabot is better on the PP than he's given credit for and generally agree with you but I do wish he was more of a shooting threat.

To a degree, none of Brannstrom, Zub or Sanderson are that guy either. Chabot has a fine shot and can create lanes and if he had a better shot I'm sure they would look to use it a little more but I find league wide, there more focus on lateral puck movement rather than the point shot and traffic.

I was disappointed with JBD last night too, but having an off game when the entire team seemed off isn't all that surprising. I do think he looked much better in his other game.

It is difficult to piece together a good game when those around you are struggling as well though my issue with his performance is more on an individual level. He held onto the puck for way too long. That Toronto group was hungry for the puck and he looked like a deer in headlights at times. Zub struggled moving the puck as well but it was more of an issue with timing, and guys not being where they should, that is less concerning. Hopefully JBD can rebound and have better showings but I am a little worried based on that performance.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
You might not be panicking yet but you should be concerned about our defensive system.

If you're not, you're in denial.
Obviously concerned but not based on last night. I truly believe we needed to bring in an associate HC whose role would be to implement structure.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00