Low Effort GDT Sens vs Leafs | Bellevegas Edition | Friday Sept. 30th, 7PM | SN1

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
The positives I took away from last night and earlier games.

Boucher certainly has tools but needs to be developed properly. I’m not thrilled that he will spend the year under Cameron.

Crookshank continues to show he will be an NHLer and not just a 4th liner once he’s ready.

That’s all I’ve got unfortunately.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Not a good outing from the team. We had our first line plus Stutzle on the ice. None of Toronto's top forwards were in the game. Same with defense, we had Chabot and Zub, while most of Toronto's regular D weren't on the ice.

We got off to a very slow start & didn't look engaged while Toronto's guys were humming.

Sure, we had a good off season, but things always look better on paper. Expectations were a little too high in here. Notice that management is just saying the goal is to play meaningful games late in the season. Expectations got a big wake up call last night.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Bit of a chicken and the egg scenario, if we had a guy with a bomb of a shot for example we likely adapt the pp system to take advantage. I think Chabot is better on the PP than he's given credit for and generally agree with you but I do wish he was more of a shooting threat.
That's why I'm hoping Lassi Thomson can develop the other parts of his game (i.e. defensive side of the game). He brings that element (a bomb of a shot) that we are lacking.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Well it was fun while it lasted in here!

From the looks of things it’s going to be a neck and neck battle for whipping boy title between ‘pipeline’ and ‘systems’ :)

I expect a new vein of experts to be born this season, claiming ‘appeal to authority’ timeouts when challenged.

I can’t wait! ;)
True, some 'things' never change. :confused:

Reactions: Ice-Tray and Loach

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
They didn't look good last night. But the loss is a good thing. This is going to wake them up and make them mad. When the season starts in a week, they'll be ready.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
Absolutely false. Tonight we clearly outshined them in individual skill and matched in hustle (minus Chabot and Zub). But the Leaf guys were all where they were supposed to be. Their passes were to areas where they knew where the other guy was going to be. They 1000% exhibited a system. We lost 6-2 to a C team with half our A team that have been here for a couple seasons. This is as big a wakeup call as can possibly be even in pre-season.
??? Yikes. You are trying way too hard to rationalize that our players just did not play well against a divisional opponent who didn't even dress its regular roster players and stars.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Is he hurt again? Perhaps if he was more engaged he wouldn't be getting rocked like that. I've never seen him look so unaware of his surroundings as last night. One of the worst pro games of his career.
No, but he may have been banged up after colliding with Simmonds. He returned but was in some discomfort going down the tunnel

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
For everyone that is worried about last night's result listen to Jamie Baker on the post game show.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
For everyone that is worried about last night's result listen to Jamie Baker on the post game show.

after sleeping on it, i honestly think people were so rattled is cuz its the Leafs lol. Anyone else and the venom prolly reduces.

Reactions: NyQuil

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
I get that it's nice to look cohesive and all that, but it's preseason; none of it matters. Like zero. It has importance for guys trying to show they belong, that's it. How many times in the past have you seen a roster of scrubs beat a team that is comparatively loaded? Happens all the time.

Hell even the first month of the regular season is painful to watch across the NHL because not everyone has gelled yet. Get the pitchforks out then if things are still looking bad.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
after sleeping on it, i honestly think people were so rattled is cuz its the Leafs lol. Anyone else and the venom prolly reduces.
The truth is extremely simple. We’ve been dog shit for a long time. Especially in the d zone. This preseason we continue to look much the same. Especially in the d zone. Fans of the team are like “hmm. Not much has changed.”

I meaaaaannn when someone looks great in preseason I don’t see many saying “it’s just pre season! Stutzle looks good but it’s just pre season!!” No. Stutzle showed flashes of being great. He’s continued that into this preseason. We are constantly dog shit defensively. We have continued that into this preseason

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Wtf is Jamie baker

The positives I took away from last night and earlier games.

Boucher certainly has tools but needs to be developed properly. I’m not thrilled that he will spend the year under Cameron.

Crookshank continues to show he will be an NHLer and not just a 4th liner once he’s ready.

That’s all I’ve got unfortunately.
There are no positives or negatives that can be taken from preseason as it is just preseason. Impossible to analyze.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I was just scouring the internet and I can't even find NHL preseason statistics from years past. Like goals and assists, or even wins and losses by NHL teams.
I usually google Ottawa Senators season by season, or Toronto Maple Leafs season by season for example. The only stats I can find are regular season and playoffs.
It does I guess show how preseason is not very important, but still I find it strange that in this world of information that I can not find any information about preseason records by teams or player stats in the preseason.
Wikipedia will get you those stats

They were 3-4 last year

19-20 they were 3-2-1

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
I mean Colorado had a bad preseason last year. Not that we're in the same tier as the Avs yet, but exhibition games are not a good barometer for how a team will play once all roster positions are set and the games actually mean something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad