Sens Tank Nation Part 1- The Fruit of Futility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Oh my god that's a horrendous statistic.

Does anybody think there's any chance now that EK is traded before the season starts? Trade activity is fitful this time of year, but you have to wonder what kind of message it would send to everybody if the guy wearing the C is already counting the days to free agency. It was bad enough when Duchene was thinking that way, and EK is way more important to that team than Duchene was to us. He wasn't even the best center on the team, much less the best player.
One time he turned the puck over to a guy without a stick. True story.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
We should probably have some ground rules out of deference to the suffering Ottawa fans.
  • Keep the gloating confined to our board
  • Try and keep the analysis straight on the NHL boards
  • Don't bring up the Leafs. Laff's fans will be there soon enough to make the thread about them.
But where do we savour the tears?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Hockey karma's a bitch and I'd just as soon not mess with her. Some of us seem to be forgetting that just one year prior Ottawa was one goal away from the Stanley Cup Final while the Avalanche were at home licking their wounds after the worst NHL season in at least a generation. I really would love the next thread concerning this be titled a little more appropriately.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Hockey karma's a ***** and I'd just as soon not mess with her. Some of us seem to be forgetting that just one year prior Ottawa was one goal away from the Stanley Cup Final while the Avalanche were at home licking their wounds after the worst NHL season in at least a generation. I really would love the next thread concerning this be titled a little more appropriately.

No kidding, the Sens will somehow end up winning the cup with everyone penciling Hughes into the lineup already. We know good and well a bad year means nothing the next year.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
No kidding, the Sens will somehow end up winning the cup with everyone penciling Hughes into the lineup already.

Sens winning the Cup defeating the Avs 4-0 in the finals. so we end with picks 31 and 30. worst outcome possible. yeah I just smashed this thread.

but don't worry, I'll show myself the door after this.

lol

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Sens winning the Cup defeating the Avs 4-0 in the finals. so we end with picks 31 and 30. worst outcome possible. yeah I just smashed this thread.

but don't worry, I'll show myself the door after this.

lol

Reaching the SC finals is far from being the worst possible outcome. At one point we have to aim a bit higher than drafting in the top 5.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Sens just finished 30th in the league with Karlsson having 62 points in 71 games, Stone 62 points in 58 games and Duchene 49 points in 68 games. Even if all three of them are more healthy they're not going to find a lot more offense from that trio.

From the team that started last year, they have removed Hoffman, Phaneuf and Brassard. They're all flawed but still would be among the better skaters on the team.

On paper, Sens are among the three weakest teams in the league. You never know but I think they are very likely be a bottom 10 team next season.

Yep, some have tried to argue on main board that everything went wrong for them last year and they should be better this year. But I see Ottawa as the biggest mess there is right now and they've given up 3 players from their lineup for basically nothing.

Boedker& Gaborik are bad replacements for them.

Kakko would look great in Colorado, Rantanen- Kakko Rw duo would be insane.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
There are Ottawa fans who believe Karlsson is signing long term and that’s his wish. No lie.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
There are also Ottawa fans who think the Duchene trade was a smashing success. Every team has fans who are either in denial or just don't know what they are talking about.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
You know, I am trying to stay on the calm and sort of pessimistic side when it comes to Ottawa's first, but man this looks wonderful...

2019 NHL Mock Draft | 2019 NHL Draft | NHL Draft
Me too... To think we'll have two dips into that pool regardless.

Anybody else think Kaliyev is awfully low on that list? He screams top 10 pick to me right now, he shoots absolute missiles all over the ice.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I’ve spent a lot of time around Newhook. I don’t talk about him on these boards much partially for personal/privacy reasons but mostly because (and I hate to say this) I didn’t believe he was going to continue to grow the way he has. Everyone around him expected him to be a top 10 NHL pick since he was 13. I’ve heard that about locals before many times and it’s never even close. It’s still a year away but Newhook is growing just like everyone hoped and I’m finally starting to let myself get excited for the kid.

Him getting cut by HC is the best thing that could have happened for his draft stock and the worst thing that could have happened if you’re a goaltender in the BCHL next year. Kid has a huge chip on his shoulder and is going to do everything he can to prove HC wrong for passing on him for the Hlinka.

Seeing him as a possible Av gets me super excited. Like I said, we’re a year away and lots can happen. But if we aren’t getting Jack Hughes next year I’m just as giddy in hoping Alex Newhook becomes an Av.

Reactions: dahrougem2

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah Newhook is solidly in my Top 5 for next year as of right now.

Still lots to happen between now and the 2019 draft obviously, but for me there's a clear top 4 in the draft at this moment. With Hughes the runaway for #1, and then Turcotte, Kakko, and Newhook fighting it out for the 2/3/4 spots. Currently I have it as Kakko at 2, Turcotte at 3, and Newhook at 4 but think it's pretty up in the air in that regard.

Its not realistic at all to expect Hughes from that Ottawa pick since even if they finished dead last it'd only be an 18% chance at him. But I do think there's a really good chance we get one of those next 3 with the pick. I see the Sens being in the bottom 3 or 4 teams next year and unless the lottery plays out extremely unfavorably for us, I think we should get a Top 5 pick and a shot at one of those kids.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
lol @ us drafting a 5'10 170 lbs RHD in the first.
Did you say the same thing about Hughes because that seems like a nonsense comment? I am not caring about those rankings considering it is still summer, but Honka was very good in the U18 tourney. Someone who actually grew his stock compared to a lot of others on that list - though I admit not sure I would want him at 10th overall.

Reactions: dahrougem2

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Double posts everywhere today....

I decided to change the comment on the duplicate post. :help:

Anyways, it doesn’t change my feelings about the Sens Pick. Good chance of being top 5, any of the Forwards would be a fantastic addition behind Mack.

Last edited:

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Did you say the same thing about Hughes because that seems like a nonsense comment? I am not caring about those rankings considering it is still summer, but Honka was very good in the U18 tourney. Someone who actually grew his stock compared to a lot of others on that list - though I admit not sure I would want him at 10th overall.

Hughes was LHD last time I checked? Did someone have us drafting Hughes in their mock? Anyway I'm not sure where you were going with this but if you don't see the humor in us drafting a 5'10 RHD with our 1st pick...

Sakic is drafting for need with his top picks nowadays so it wouldn't happen anyway (D + D in 2017 and RW + G in 2018). A smallish RHD prospect is literally the very last thing we need.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad