News Article: Sens sign forward prospect Josh Norris to an entry level contract

Riceroni

Dec 14, 2018
Was it worth close to a 50% decline in attendance, and an apathetic fanbase?? Seems like poor business practice to me.

Whether or not you agree with the return (which you will agree with everything this team does), the fracture and disconnect with the fans that began once Dorion stated that "even Gretzky was traded" probably cost Eugene Melnyk more money than it would have to sign EK, but then again, we wouldn't have Dylan DeMelo and his beautiful Movember moustache.
I like DeMelo because I bought two of his game used sticks for my own hockey... It's a perfect curve and flex for me.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Trading for Brannstrom as opposed to a first and lesser prospect is the definition of quality over quantity...

He’s been compared to Krug but you see the cooperative spirit Krug has and his draw a line in the sand mentality. Krug took a massive hit in the 2nd bud and popped up like nothing had happened - he’s a warrior.

Bransstrom might have his talent, but that warrior mentality is what will make Bransstrom a good player or an excellent player

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Was it worth close to a 50% decline in attendance, and an apathetic fanbase?? Seems like poor business practice to me.

Whether or not you agree with the return (which you will agree with everything this team does), the fracture and disconnect with the fans that began once Dorion stated that "even Gretzky was traded" probably cost Eugene Melnyk more money than it would have to sign EK, but then again, we wouldn't have Dylan DeMelo and his beautiful Movember moustache.
I believe this is where the disconnect lies - whether you believe the SENS wanted to trade EK, Stone, Duchene, Dzingel, whether individually or collectively. As a first option. I’m in the camp of, no of course not.

But other factors exist (money, contract stability, player asks) and we are where we are.

I don’t begrudge either side for any of it. It’s the very definition of “it is what it is.”

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

What kind of math are you using?

Ottawa's average attendance in 2017-18 was 15,829 (ESPN), which included the outdoor game at Landsdowne (33,959) Park, and one game in Sweden ......... so the average attendance at CTC was closer to 15,375.

So a decline of (close to) 50% , according to you, would have been about an average attendance of 7,700.

According to ESPN the average attendance was 14,553, a drop of about only 5.5%.

Sure, the fans in general have not been happy with the loss of many star players that they've seen drafted, developed and played for the Senators for many years .......... and there are some, like yourself who are probably extremely upset over the direction the franchise has taken.
But it's not the entire fanbase that feels as bad you do, and there will probably be a similar attendance average in the coming season, but it's eventually going to improve when the teams' play improves and they show signs of competing for the playoffs in a couple of seasons.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Weird evaluation of the EK trade, everyone hated it when it shoo we’d but then EK got injured and now everyone thinks we won the trade.

Bizarre

Not everyone.

A lot of us knew that EK65 was intending on becoming an UFA on July 1st this year. That made the trade, a one year rental trade........ and is the Sharks ended up hoisting the Cup, it would have been worth it for them.

Now it seems their left with Francis Perron, while Ottawa has a number of players and the Sharks' 2020 first round draft pick.

It's not a matter of who won or lost the trade, the Sharks thought it was worth the gamble, and they feel short.

Ottawa knew that EK65 was not going to re-sign with them, and was headed to free agency ..... so they made the rental trade, and moved on.

It's the reality of the business of the NHL.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Ottawa's average attendance in 2017-18 was 15,829 (ESPN), which included the outdoor game at Landsdowne (33,959) Park, and one game in Sweden ......... so the average attendance at CTC was closer to 15,375.

So a decline of (close to) 50% , according to you, would have been about an average attendance of 7,700.

According to ESPN the average attendance was 14,553, a drop of about only 5.5%.

Sure, the fans in general have not been happy with the loss of many star players that they've seen drafted, developed and played for the Senators for many years .......... and there are some, like yourself who are probably extremely upset over the direction the franchise has taken.
But it's not the entire fanbase that feels as bad you do, and there will probably be a similar attendance average in the coming season, but it's eventually going to improve when the teams' play improves and they show signs of competing for the playoffs in a couple of seasons.
Assuming that happens. It's become the foregone conclusion accepted around here but they have a whole lot of work to do and a lot needs to go right for that to come to pass. What happens to the dwindling paid, not papered attendance if they don't stop sucking and stay near the basement?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Assuming that happens. It's become the foregone conclusion accepted around here but they have a whole lot of work to do and a lot needs to go right for that to come to pass. What happens to the dwindling paid, not papered attendance if they don't stop sucking and stay near the basement?

I don't have the ability to predict the future.
I will wait and see how the team shapes up, and watch the games when the season begins.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Not everyone.

A lot of us knew that EK65 was intending on becoming an UFA on July 1st this year. That made the trade, a one year rental trade........ and is the Sharks ended up hoisting the Cup, it would have been worth it for them.

Now it seems their left with Francis Perron, while Ottawa has a number of players and the Sharks' 2020 first round draft pick.

It's not a matter of who won or lost the trade, the Sharks thought it was worth the gamble, and they feel short.

Ottawa knew that EK65 was not going to re-sign with them, and was headed to free agency ..... so they made the rental trade, and moved on.

It's the reality of the business of the NHL.
SJ gave up depth for hin and then went on a deep playoff run. It keeps fans engaged and excited while nothing given up will have much of an impact on their squad going forward. I highly doubt they have any ragrets.

Imagine being a fan of a team where they go out and get players like that? Sounds like fun to me.

Reactions: Deku

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

There are no numbers that equal the amount of tickets sold versus the amount of tickets given away, so no math necessary, just using the good old eye test with just some basic logic of reading and talking to multiple season ticket holders who were given multiple tickets on multiple occasions.

You keep pretending that there was no sharp decline in attendance though.

Reactions: NB613

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
There are no numbers that equal the amount of tickets sold versus the amount of tickets given away, so no math necessary, just using the good old eye test with just some basic logic of reading and talking to multiple season ticket holders who were given multiple tickets on multiple occasions.

You keep pretending that there was no sharp decline in attendance though.

Ease up on the FAKE NEWS - ticket sales did decline but 50% is no where near the number.

Reactions: coladin

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Ease up on the FAKE NEWS - ticket sales did decline but 50% is no where near the number.
It was honestly just a number I threw out there, kind of hard to really put a number on it since no one knows exactly how much the papered the building. I wouldn't say that it is "nowhere near the number" though. Most teams that go through an admitted rebuild probably have a drop of at least 25% in their ticket sales, here in Ottawa, with the tire fire surrounding, I wouldn't be surprised if that number was closer to 35-40% of lost ticket sales since the middle of the 2017-2018 season when the circus really took off.

We can debate the numbers until we are blue in the face, but lets face it, regardless of the number, the decline was sharp, and continues to get worse. As long as they continue the duck and hide approach, fans won't be coming back, regardless of the performance of the team. Nobody trusts the guys in charge, signing Josh Norris does little to restore confidence.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Not everyone.. Not enough for him. Not enough for stone. Dorion thinks Quality over Quantity in Hockey Ops .. and the other way around in a trade of our 2 best players.

I think we got quality for Stone to be quite honest. If Brannstrom ends up as good as the scouting reports make it sound, it will be a good trade for us.

Yes we all think we should have gotten more but really high end prospects almost never get traded. Underwhelming because of who we lost, not because of the return.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I like the way our team is shaping up,down the middle it still needs the pop of an elite center...But having hard working gritty two way centers in Norris and White learning from the very best of gritty two way centers in JGP ...Makes for a solid and deep looking top 9

Reactions: Tuna99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad