News Article: Sens sign forward prospect Josh Norris to an entry level contract

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Garrioch with another facepalm moment, luckily he revises and reviews all of his propaganda pieces before they are also vetted through an editor, never change Ottawa Sun!

"He said he felt his offensive game matured this past season with the Spartans, producing 10 goals and nine assists in 17 games, after playing a mostly defensive role in 2017-18."

That's like calling a Gee Gee a Raven, nice work Boo Boo.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I like the way our team is shaping up,down the middle it still needs the pop of an elite center...But having hard working gritty two way centers in Norris and White learning from the very best of gritty two way centers in JGP ...Makes for a solid and deep looking top 9

Need some elite skill on the wings as well, Chucky and Batherson can support a top line but after that it thinks out pretty fast. Balcers, Formenton, Abramov all look like 2nd/3rd Line tweeners. Need some solid 2nd lone wingers like Havlat, Stillman.

Reactions: topshelf15

Sens With Benefits

Feb 4, 2010
Canada
Not sure if this has been posted, but he did very well in the draft combine in 2017. Overall one of the most athletic players there. Top 10 in almost every measurably category.

#2 in mean wind gate, #1 in peak wind gate, #9 in bench press, #1 in vertical jump, #1 in shuttle run right, # 1 in shuttle run left, #8 in pull ups, # 1 in standing long jump, only the VO2 and grip strength he didn't do that great in.

Kids a phenomenal athlete, I haven't watched much of him, but he must be a great skater.

2017 NHL Combine results: Top 10 at each drill - Sportsnet.ca

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I like the way our team is shaping up,down the middle it still needs the pop of an elite center...But having hard working gritty two way centers in Norris and White learning from the very best of gritty two way centers in JGP ...Makes for a solid and deep looking top 9
We should be totally fine at center as long as brown ends up a top 6 C

Reactions: aragorn

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
So much rides on him working out. We have some nice 2nd/3rd line center types in the pipe, but he's the only 1st line center potential in there atm realistically.

White could get there. It isn't very likely but I think he could peak at 70 point seasons if everything goes optimal.

I think a lot of it will depend how the D grows and gels. Dorion has set us up on the backend in terms of solid prospects on top of Chabot and Brannstrom. If our D gets there, our forwards will be that much better.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
White could get there. It isn't very likely but I think he could peak at 70 point seasons if everything goes optimal.

I think a lot of it will depend how the D grows and gels. Dorion has set us up on the backend in terms of solid prospects on top of Chabot and Brannstrom. If our D gets there, our forwards will be that much better.
It's possible, but I'd be surprised and I'd consider that a surprise development. My opinion is he tops out as more of a 50 point Mike Fisher type. We'll see how he produces this year with Stone gone, I think that will give us a better idea. I'm done assuming anyone's as good away from Stone as they were with him.

Agreed on the 2nd point.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Well Josh Norris is not a 1C. We may need to make another all in trade for a guy like Duchene for 1.5 years

We definitely have the GM to do that! :)

My take on Norris is that he appears to be a good candidate to be a third line center for the Senators with a chance to be a second line center if he can increase his offensive skills and output. He has not yet demonstrated elite skill levels to be considered a number one center prospect at this time.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Well Josh Norris is not a 1C. We may need to make another all in trade for a guy like Duchene for 1.5 years
Maybe Norris can at least develop in to the borderline 1C we will be shipping out to make the dollars match.

Should be a hell of an upgrade. Just gotta make sure we time it right... after we lose our top D pair to expansion & surgery and a top 6 forward to ltir seems like a good time!

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Here is one article that thinks Norris has an opportunity to be a #1 C in Ottawa & it's not the only one I have seen. "Norris is one of the team’s top prospects and could be the team’s next top centreman".
https://thehockeywriters.com/ottawa-senators-prospect-josh-norris/

However, I have to wonder if he wouldn't be better suited to play LW on a top line with Brown & Batherson. Ottawa has three other centres with a little more pro experience who most here have thought that they would eventually play in the NHL including Chlapik. Norris seems like a very versatile & good athlete who may be able to play up & down the lineup in different positions in all situations & is already considered a very good defensive 200' player. It's another way to get a very good player into the top 6 & helps to make a very good & tough left side. Lots of options with this crew.

Norris - Brown - Batherson
Tkachuk - White - ???
Formenton - Chlapik - ???
??? - Paul - ???

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
If Brown/White/Norris can turn into some version of Turris/Zibanejad/Pageau (The Sens version of Zib, not the elite guy he's turned out to be) the team should be okay moving forward. It's obviously not as ideal as having a true #1 guy, but given the teams budget restraints it might be the best we can hope for.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
He’s been compared to Krug but you see the cooperative spirit Krug has and his draw a line in the sand mentality. Krug took a massive hit in the 2nd bud and popped up like nothing had happened - he’s a warrior.

Bransstrom might have his talent, but that warrior mentality is what will make Bransstrom a good player or an excellent player

Bran does strikes me as a guy who won’t take shit from bigger players.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
I am sure he could have gotten more if he didn't wait until the final minutes of the trade deadline, but the org had to keep up the "we are keeping him" charade to help sell tickets.

I think he was shopping him for a while, and everyone was offering a return similar to what we got for Karl, until Vegas decided to throw a pre trade extension offer out there. Value only spikes to what it did when contract is agreed upon. Otherwise a team is mortgaging their future for 40 games of a player who could walk. And I don’t think there were many teams Stone would agree to extend with pre - July 1.

Reactions: NB613 and Ice-Tray

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Why can't Brown be a #1 centre in the NHL & on this team specifically? And as I said above with two good players on his wings (Norris & Batherson) he could excel at centre.

Reactions: Icelevel

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
At least the locker room is changing from guys that dislike each other to guys that are calling each other up and saying get your ass on this team. I like it

Reactions: Samboni and aragorn

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Norris' goal scoring numbers are better than Brady's from college. They were used in different situations at different ages but I don't see why everyone is so down on his offense. 10G in 17G was projecting very well last season.

Reactions: NB613 and aragorn

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Anyone here have any comments on his ability to switch to the wing long-term?

He may end up losing out on the prime C spots with the big club (tons can change obviously, nothing is set in stone with this franchise, but Brown/White/Tierney/Pageau/Chlapik/2020 1st/ect could all be ahead of him in the pecking order).

I only ask because obviously he's a guy that can put the puck in the net. He could end up as a real nice compliment to some of our playmaking centers (his 2 way game may help as well, since guys like Brown/Tierney and Chlapik aren't known for thie 2-way play)

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Anyone here have any comments on his ability to switch to the wing long-term?

He may end up losing out on the prime C spots with the big club (tons can change obviously, nothing is set in stone with this franchise, but Brown/White/Tierney/Pageau/Chlapik/2020 1st/ect could all be ahead of him in the pecking order).

I only ask because obviously he's a guy that can put the puck in the net. He could end up as a real nice compliment to some of our playmaking centers (his 2 way game may help as well, since guys like Brown/Tierney and Chlapik aren't known for thie 2-way play)

I've been saying it for a while now that I think they could move him to LW. Don't a lot of centres start off on the wing in the NHL because playing centre is very complicated & has a lot of responsibilities that young guys need to learn. A top line of Norris - Brown - Batherson IMO could be a very interesting line given they are all very skilled players. If over the next three drafts they can find a really good RWer to play & gel with Tkachuk & White, that would give them two very good lines for the future of this team. If they could also find another goal scoring RWer to play with Formenton & Chlapik, that would make three good lines. I expect that Josh Norris will be a very good player for this franchise sooner rather than later.

I hope he ends up better at C than White, Tierney etc.
Tierny C was just under 50 pts last yr & White C in his rookie season was a 40 pt player on top of being very good defensively. I expect that Brown should be better than both those guys & Norris to be a very good top line LWer or centre at some future point. Chlapik is another guy that could surprise people next season as he matures & is getting closer to being NHL ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->