Post-Game Talk: Sens @ Rangers

3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Hank is on pace to play over 70 games this season as a 36 year old. I get that the team needs points now, but I don't see that as sustainable at his age. He's not Brodeur.

I think it's an actively managed situation (meaning you shouldn't project the number of games for the whole season based on the current ratio). The Rangers will not play until Wednesday again and last night was pretty easy for Hank. I don't think he is anywhere close to being overworked yet this season so I don't have a problem with the number of games he played so far.

Aside from the above, I also don't see why his workload will not be sustainable. Yeah, he's on the back 9 of his career but he never had a history of prolonged ...., and his workload was closely managed the last few years, sometimes to Henrik's performance detriment because he likes to be in a lot of games.

P.S. I'm glad he was able to get a relative easy SO yesterday. Throughout his career I feel he was robbed of a quite a few SO.

Last edited:
Reactions: NCRanger

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I think it's an actively managed situation (meaning you shouldn't project the number of games for the whole season based on the current ratio). The Rangers will not pay until Wednesday again and last night was pretty easy for Hank. I don't think he is anywhere close to being overworked yet this season so I don't have a problem with the number of games he played so far.

Aside from the above, I also don't see why his workload will not be sustainable. Yeah, he's on the back 9 of his career but he never had a history of prolonged ...., and his workload was closely managed the last few years, sometimes to Henrik's performance detriment because he likes to be in a lot of games.

P.S. I'm glad he was able to get a relative easy SO yesterday. Throughout his career I feel he was robbed of a quite a few SO.

Exactly. This schedule is favorable right now and they are taking advantage of it and rightly so. They need the points and you want hank in there instead of Pavelec. They have 1,2 and even 3 days before games right thru 12/8-12/9 when they have a back to back. I think they will manage things properly when the schedule starts getting tougher and Pavelec will get his share of starts. I don't see Hank playing more than 60 games this year which I believe he can handle even at this age.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Good to see Hank get a shutout. Feel like hes working hard at getting back his mojo.

Nash also deserves some mention. Played a solid game. Created chances.

He is probably soon gone for a 1st + - so enjoy it while it last. ;) Personally I really doubt Nash and his agent are happy with a home town discount contract end of this season - I`ve a notion that Nash will aim for a market value contract to secure his retirement from NHL. Although I doubt we can afford that so the best option is probably to move him end of this season.

Last edited:

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
According to nevesis, that shouldn't be a problem because Lundqvist said he plays better in the post-season if he plays a lot in the regular season. Which I think is BS.

Let's look at the no of games played in the regular season and his sv% in the play-offs:
72 GP: .909
70 GP: .924
70 GP: .908
68 GP: .917
65 GP: .867
63 GP: .927
62 GP: .931
57 GP: .927
53 GP: .835 (rookie season)
46 GP: .928
43 GP: .934 (shortened season)

And aside from this one, which was his third season in the NHL [2007-2008], his sv% increased or stayed nearly identical in the playoffs to what it was in the regular season from those respective years, and the workload increases dramatically in the playoffs.

Update: Excuse me. I meant the GAA.

Last edited:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Good to see Hank get a shutout. Feel like hes working hard at getting back his mojo.

Nash also deserves some mention. Played a solid game. Created chances.

Yeah I liked Nash's game a lot last night. Man he had such a great opportunity on that two on one. Had a half empty net to work with there. Also loved his work on the PK as usual.

Reactions: Ori

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I enjoyed Nash game too - he usually deliver top quality games recently on the both ends and that`s great for us. And J. Fast played very well too last night - he is sometimes very underrated on the HF board and we noticed that when he was out with injury beginning of this season.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
He is probably soon gone for a 1st + - so enjoy it while it last. ;) Personally I really doubt Nash and his agent are happy with a home town discount contract end of this season - I`ve a notion that Nash will aim for a market value contract to secure his retirement from NHL. Although I doubt we can afford that so the best option is probably to move him end of this season.

At the end of the season, Nash will have earned a total of $91,770,000 playing hockey. That is some serious money. Someone leaked he would take the hometown discount to stay here in NY. You have to question though, what does that hometown discount look like? Are we talking $3mil for 2 or 3 years, or are we talking $5mil? Its such a gray area. Then again, he could look to sign super cheap to the club that has the best chance of winning a cup. Tough to predict who that said club might be?

Rangers seems to have this loyalty to certain players. At least a Sather run organization did. Now with Gorton that seems to have changed. Trading popular players for youth. Buying out #5. That alone seems to echo that Nash would be on the block.

This is definitely Gortons biggest test as a GM.
Does he stay the course and see what the 2017/2018 club can do with Nash?
Does he move the assert for the future?
Does he look to resign the player?

Reactions: Ola

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yeah well, an interesting topic @Lion Hound - it will be a good challenge for our GM Gorton in the next 3 years in my opinion. Zucc`s contract run out (2019-20) and is UFA at age of 32. Should we keep just in case Lias & Chytil is NHL ready or should we move him for future in 2019 draft and beyond. I doubt Zucc will be moved this year unless we fail to reach playoffs which might result that Gorton will accelerate the rebuild process.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
the schedule being so good early here is why hank is playing a lot of games but if you recall I said this summer after hearing AV and Hank talking about it, it sounded like he was going to be playing way more this season than the previous few. I'm telling you guys as a goalie more is better even if you are older it may not sound like it but playing a lot staying loose feels better than days off when your body doesn't always bounce back as quickly after a few days off. I think he's going to play around 67 68 games or so this season and it'll be good for him to do so. What he's been doing the past few years hasn't been working. so this is the best thing for him.

Reactions: Siddi

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I’d rather have Hank play extra when the alternative is Pavelec. Pavelec is an awful f***ing goaltender who I do not trust to help us gain those extra points teams need from backup goalies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Hank is on pace to play over 70 games this season as a 36 year old. I get that the team needs points now, but I don't see that as sustainable at his age. He's not Brodeur.

What do you mean with that? He didn’t screw his sister or what? He didn’t have avg numbers playing behind the best defense ever? He isn’t one of the least classy athletes ever?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Good game for us. Happy to see Henrik with the shutout. The Rangers D was very good.

The Smith hit on Borowiecki--they were both on a line going towards the puck--neither really diverge from their path but as the gap between them narrows Boro's stick hitting Smith's stick is the first contact between both of them. He is somewhat off balance as they collide but Boro was trying to initiate. Smith was lower bracing on his skates and stronger on his skates when they do collide and then Boro goes crashing into the boards. IMO--it's a hockey play and IMO there shouldn't even have been a penalty.

Agreed, very bad call IMO. Bad hockey sense by the referee. When two players are racing for a hockey both will engage each other before reaching the puck 10/10 times. The one time someone loses their balance they cannot call it as he didn’t have the puck.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
I’d rather have Hank play extra when the alternative is Pavelec. Pavelec is an awful ****ing goaltender who I do not trust to help us gain those extra points teams need from backup goalies.

Past couple of seasons I was wishing and hoping that the backup would get more games. This year not so much. I still don't understand this signing.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I don't understand why we were in such a hurry to get him. he was clearly their guy and you see the size and raw ability you get excited about him but he's just not very good. he leaves a lot of holes for a guy his size

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I actually like Nash Hayes Fast as a checking unit keep em together.

Zucc has his best game in weeks playing with miller and Grabner another line they should keep together.

My only problem now is Carey has no business playing in this league. None

Play Vesey with Nieves and Desharnais or do what we should have done two weeks ago. Bring Lettieri up and waive Carey.

Also hayes not playing on the powerplay is absurd when Vesey is the alternative. Kid can’t make a play. Hayes is an offensive player. This shouldn’t be hard
Carey generated some of the highest quality chances we had in this game.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
im not sure why the Sens thought of Duchene as a piece that would be ideal for their system...its VERY early, but Duchenes game jsut doesnt seem well suited for a trap team like them...he never struck me as defensively sound, nor did he strike me as someone whose gonna be a great chip and chase player..hes a counterattack player.

Glad hes not on the Penguins.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
im not sure why the Sens thought of Duchene as a piece that would be ideal for their system...its VERY early, but Duchenes game jsut doesnt seem well suited for a trap team like them...he never struck me as defensively sound, nor did he strike me as someone whose gonna be a great chip and chase player..hes a counterattack player.

Glad hes not on the Penguins.
that would have been a nightmare....just hand the pens the cup again

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
there's no way Duchene is an upgrade over turris who is a better defensive player by far. what Ottawa gave up in that trade is insane

Reactions: NCRanger

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I don't understand why we were in such a hurry to get him. he was clearly their guy and you see the size and raw ability you get excited about him but he's just not very good. he leaves a lot of holes for a guy his size

I think they panicked with the Brassard swap too.

Just keep digging a bigger hole —-> SenatorsTown™

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
I actually like Nash Hayes Fast as a checking unit keep em together.

Zucc has his best game in weeks playing with miller and Grabner another line they should keep together.

My only problem now is Carey has no business playing in this league. None

Play Vesey with Nieves and Desharnais or do what we should have done two weeks ago. Bring Lettieri up and waive Carey.

Also hayes not playing on the powerplay is absurd when Vesey is the alternative. Kid can’t make a play. Hayes is an offensive player. This shouldn’t be hard

So Hank is no longer an issue for you?

CZ6tw08UcAEtDZY.jpg

Just kidding :naughty:

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
nothing at all I like about him. one game generating a few high scoring chances doesn't change that.
he played a good game, and then you said he has no business playing in this league..if he had no business...he wouldnt have played a good game.

i liked him a lot more than DD tonight tbh.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
he played a good game, and then you said he has no business playing in this league..if he had no business...he wouldnt have played a good game.

i liked him a lot more than DD tonight tbh.
He wasn't bad. DD is just really bad anywhere but behind the net where he can shake off defenders in tight spaces. He's too slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad