Sep 11, 2015
NJ

JAZ2F2i.gif

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I'll post what I posted on the main boards here:

This play certainly fits the mold of interference, but it is definitely not boarding. There was also no intent, nor was it vicious, and I would argue it wasn't even reckless by Smith. It should have been 2 minutes at most, and if Borowiecki had handled himself properly going for that puck battle then this unfortunate accident doesn't even happen at all.

Borowiecki went in for a battle where he had to good footing at all. The contact happened while both players were still well inside the faceoff circle and the damage was done when he hit the back of his head on the boards beyond the goal line due to his own reckless momentum, poor footing, and willingness to engage.

Hit in faceoff circle:

Borowiecki looking right at Smith and leaning in to hit him as well to fight for the puck:

Borowiecki's completely off-balance footing prior to the hit:

Furthermore, the interference rule specifically mentions hitting a player "with no effort to play the puck." Two players skating into the corner going shoulder to shoulder happens multiple times every single game - and there certainly is not "no effort to play the puck" when the players will be on top of the puck within literally a split second.

Also, I saw one poster talk about how the refs may or are allowed to increase the penalty to the 5 minute major when there is an injury. That is for nearly every single penalty. It is a subjective decision made by the referee. "May" and "allow for" are permissive, and not mandatory - it is a huge difference.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
Great to stop the bleeding at 2. Great effort all around and probably the best defence played by this team so far this season.
Hank looked great again and that is 4-5 games straight now that he looked steallar.

1. The PK
2. Hank
3. Nash

Reactions: kovazub94

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Good for Hank getting the shutout

Hayes had a solid game, and chances Smith is scratched next game cause of that penalty?

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Rangers put on a defensive clinic tonight. Great games by Henke, Nash, and Hayes. I really liked Miller at C. The top-9 played some strong two-way hockey outside of a few hiccups here and there

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
I'll post what I posted on the main boards here:

This play certainly fits the mold of interference, but it is definitely not boarding. There was also no intent, nor was it vicious, and I would argue it wasn't even reckless by Smith. It should have been 2 minutes at most, and if Borowiecki had handled himself properly going for that puck battle then this unfortunate accident doesn't even happen at all.

Borowiecki went in for a battle where he had to good footing at all. The contact happened while both players were still well inside the faceoff circle and the damage was done when he hit the back of his head on the boards beyond the goal line due to his own reckless momentum, poor footing, and willingness to engage.

Hit in faceoff circle:

Borowiecki looking right at Smith and leaning in to hit him as well to fight for the puck:

Borowiecki's completely off-balance footing prior to the hit:

What the NHL seems to have changed is penalty by outcome, at least here. I recall how much I hated and still do the way that blatant obvious Stevens-style head shots were given short shrift if the injury was seen as slight or non-existant. This treatment of interference is new, and very different.

Reactions: mrhockey193195
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad