Sens, Pre-season Champions. Habs lose 4-2

RJJ

Jul 24, 2014
Ottawa
Why do you think that DLR needs AHL time?

Some people think everyone needs to go to the AHL. It is a ridiculous notion as every player is different. DLR will probably go to Hamilton but not necessarily because he needs it but because of the numbers game. The Habs have too many bodies right now so it is just easiest for them to park him there until they trade someone or someone gets injured.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Some people think everyone needs to go to the AHL. It is a ridiculous notion as every player is different. DLR will probably go to Hamilton but not necessarily because he needs it but because of the numbers game. The Habs have too many bodies right now so it is just easiest for them to park him there until they trade someone or someone gets injured.

It seems to be a thing that people just say. ''He needs big minutes in the AHL,'' or ''let him develop in the AHL until he's 'ready'.'' Like, why, though? The argument that ''Player X needs to focus on Y, and the speed of execution at the NHL will cause difficulties in learning Y, as opposed to other skills.'' It's always some heuristic, like ''that's what Holland does in Detroit and it's worked for them.''

The idea seems to be that a prospect's transition to the NHL must be 100% seamless, and that players can't learn in the NHL with a reduced role.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
At 20 years old don't think it will kill him. Not as if its end of world. Helps him develop and helps us with numbers game.

Would playing versus Pee-wee players help him develop as well?
DLR could easily be with us. I don't think playing in the AHL is going to change much.
It's purely a numbers game.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
It seems to be a thing that people just say. ''He needs big minutes in the AHL,'' or ''let him develop in the AHL until he's 'ready'.'' Like, why, though? The argument that ''Player X needs to focus on Y, and the speed of execution at the NHL will cause difficulties in learning Y, as opposed to other skills.'' It's always some heuristic, like ''that's what Holland does in Detroit and it's worked for them.''

The idea seems to be that a prospect's transition to the NHL must be 100% seamless, and that players can't learn in the NHL with a reduced role.

Good post. Not much room for theory in the NHL though, Empiricism rules.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Would playing versus Pee-wee players help him develop as well?
DLR could easily be with us. I don't think playing in the AHL is going to change much.
It's purely a numbers game.

Why so fierce on DLR making the team? Just because he gets sent doesn't mean it is for good you know. He has no pro experience, not like it will be bad for him. His roster spot allows us to carry another player now. Rather it be the third goalie, extra d-man or Bournival. We are presently deep in bottom 6 forwards

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
I'd rather DLR goes to the AHL and plays on the top line and is given opportunities to put up points and develop his offensive game, then sits with us in a defensive role.

Kinda like Pacioretty had to do.

(not saying DLR will be as good as Patch, just saying he could develop into a top 6 player if given the opportunity to learn to use his size in front of the net).

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I'd rather DLR goes to the AHL and plays on the top line and is given opportunities to put up points and develop his offensive game, then sits with us in a defensive role.

(not saying DLR will be as good as Patch, just saying he could develop into a top 6 player if given the opportunity to learn to use his size in front of the net).
Pacioretty...PK Subban, Carey Price, Plekanec they all played in AHL. I don't see what all the drama is over DLR playing in Hamilton? He's very young - not like it is end of his career.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
How come there is no such thing as polite banter with the opposition here? I waited til well after the game to give the Sens fans a jab and it gets removed in no time. I know all too well that it gets out of hand during the games but surely a friendly post is no grounds for censorship or am I missing something...

WTK basically insulted their Jersey in a way which they couldn't retort! :laugh:

Oct 22, 2012
I think its not a question of if, but when will Sekac end up on the top line. Just relentless in everything he does, especially puck retrieval. It's what the line needs, what they won't get with PAP.

Bourque looked good, Chucky looking so much more poise with the puck. His decision making is finally catching up with his skill set at the pro level.

I also noticed that Patches was more physical in the corners. Hope he keeps it up this year, I'm really hoping he adds some sandpaper to his game.

Liked what I saw from DLR. At this point, there's no room for him, but I suspect he will be close to solidifying his spot by season end, with play in either AHL or NHL. He is exactly the type and age of player we should be infusing in this lineup.

DD was meh, after his scratching last year he said he never wants to be scratched again. If that's his mentality he has to step it up, but I'll give him the preseason excuse. Gilbert was meh too, soft as butter, but that's no secret.

Tinordi had a great game I thought. Moved puck well, carried it well, read plays better than he has for the most part. I think if we want him to pickup his reactions faster, you have to expose him to those situations more. I'd keep him up for now.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
DLR absolutely needs to go to the AHL.. just because he doesn't make many mistakes doesn't mean he should be up here. For the most part all training camp he was neutral, he did nothing good and he did nothing bad.

I'd much rather have him in the AHL playing big minutes and seeing if he can develop his offense to the point he could be a 2nd line player.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
what made management go: gilbert, that's the guy we need in our back 6.

i'm failing to see any positives for having him back there, in all three zones, at moving the puck, special teams, everything.

i keep looking for positives, nothing. cannot find anything.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The pathetic thing is.. who on Ottawa's line-up would legitimately crack ours... Turris, Zibanejad, Chris Neil, Karlsson and Lehner as a back-up? Maaaaybeee Michalek.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I just don't subscribe to the notion of one team "fleecing" another when it comes to a 5th round pick. ;)

I said before and I'll say it again, I would have preferred to keep Briere and be done with mistake at the end of this season, now we have a guy who might be marginally more effective for an extra year.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012

i'm failing to see any positives for having him back there, in all three zones, at moving the puck, special teams, everything.

You should look more carefully then, Gilbert's positives are there very subtle things he does right. He's going to be a good pickup imo. I like what I see from him. Had a couple mishandles of the puck tonight, but otherwise, makes the smart, effective play most of the time.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013

I actually love his game... whenever he's on the ice, the puck is in the offensive zone. Love his smart reads and quick simple plays.

Watch him closely when he's on the ice and you'll appreciate the little things he does.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Well the notion that anything is developing down there is amusing at best.
Tinordi has regressed significantly since last being sent down.
For me it is a matter of getting enough ice. Playing time at this level is invaluable.

Kenny Powders

Apr 6, 2005
Laval
Well the notion that anything is developing down there is amusing at best.
Tinordi has regressed significantly since last being sent down.
For me it is a matter of getting enough ice. Playing time at this level is invaluable.

You know that not everyone pans out?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad