Sens, Pre-season Champions. Habs lose 4-2

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Uhh, we fleeced them out of a draft pick. That's about it. All we did was get an overpaid player for a position we needed help in rather than an overpaid player for a position we didn't.

People were suggesting the Avs had no idea what they had given up.... like PAP was some sort of all-star waiting to be unleashed. He wasn't a Roy type of player, he is soft and unreliable... if he isn't good enough for what Roy expects.. why on earth do we want a player like that in Montreal?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yeah, watching the two fights Borowiecki had in the last two games, this guy needs to get handled. Shots to Subban when he was down, shots to Prust when he was down. WTF is this pos.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Uhh, we fleeced them out of a draft pick. That's about it. All we did was get an overpaid player for a position we needed help in rather than an overpaid player for a position we didn't.

Well we got Bourni out of them for O'Byrne didn't we!
No real biggie now that i think about it. :laugh::laugh:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
People were suggesting the Avs had no idea what they had given up.... like PAP was some sort of all-star waiting to be unleashed. He wasn't a Roy type of player, he is soft and unreliable... if he isn't good enough for what Roy expects.. why on earth do we want a player like that in Montreal?

So he can play with Eller and that other Mr. Reliable Bourki...

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
The difference was mostly mental. It's preseason and Montreal already beat some good teams. Not surprising they let down against the not-so-good Sens. Habs still out-chanced Ottawa with the puck, but played undisciplined without it. We're also still juggling rookies and forward-lines, which led to gaping holes in our back-checking that allowed 2-on-1 breaks for the Sens. Plus the poor discipline showed in our own zone as we were unable to clear the puck for long stretches. It's like nobody remembered how to skate or pass the damn puck.

Habs also took weak, ill-timed penalties. Sens scored (I think) two goals on the PP.

As to the issue of softness, there was one fight between Prust and their plug tonight (can't spell his name). Didn't affect anything. Last night was all about their goon picking a fight with Pacioretty, while the plug fought Subban. No team wants their stars to fight. Again, it made no difference. People made it the talking point because the game was otherwise meaningless.

Our transition into the o-zone didn't look great, Ottawa seemed to get into ours much easier. Besides that our special teams looked weak. This seems to me like a coaching issue.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006

I just don't subscribe to the notion of one team "fleecing" another when it comes to a 5th round pick. ;)

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Our transition into the o-zone didn't look great, Ottawa seemed to get into ours much easier. Besides that our special teams looked weak. This seems to me like a coaching issue.

You're 100% right about our transition. Hard to tell how much is coaching and how much is rookie inexperience, unfamiliar linemates, veterans who are taking it easy now, young guys being too fancy (that blown 3-on-1). Nothing is settled and it shows.

Do I think everything will be magically fixed by starting the season? No, but I think we're closer to being the team we saw against Colorado and Chicago than the team we saw tonight.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
One thing to take from this game...
PK seems to have improved his time management skills.
Last year he left it until .5 of a second before setting up the game winner.
This time he allowed for a margin of error. Setting up Marky with 2 secs left in the period.

pine*

So let me guess what I missed..

The PP had no net front presence (again).
Our break-out "strategy" was either off the glass or repeated attempts to try a stretch pass.
Two D men puck chasing behind the net.
The PK featuring both D and a forward convering on the puck carrier only to give up big gaps of ice when the attacking forward flips the puck into open space.

Lemme know.

are-you-wizard.jpg

68*

Yeah, watching the two fights Borowiecki had in the last two games, this guy needs to get handled. Shots to Subban when he was down, shots to Prust when he was down. WTF is this pos.

Don't worry, if Borovisor makes the Sens team (shouldn't be hard) and keeps playing like that, someone will end him. It's only against the soft Habs that he's allowed to play like that.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
The difference was mostly mental. It's preseason and Montreal already beat some good teams. Not surprising they let down against the not-so-good Sens. Habs still out-chanced Ottawa with the puck, but played undisciplined without it. We're also still juggling rookies and forward-lines, which led to gaping holes in our back-checking that allowed 2-on-1 breaks for the Sens. Plus the poor discipline showed in our own zone as we were unable to clear the puck for long stretches. It's like nobody remembered how to skate or pass the damn puck.

Habs also took weak, ill-timed penalties. Sens scored (I think) two goals on the PP.

As to the issue of softness, there was one fight between Prust and their plug tonight (can't spell his name). Didn't affect anything. Last night was all about their goon picking a fight with Pacioretty, while the plug fought Subban. No team wants their stars to fight. Again, it made no difference. People made it the talking point because the game was otherwise meaningless.

My point is, if the Habs did dumb or futile things in these games, isn't it at least plausible that it'll carry over into games that count ? If Therrien gives the team a Saint Crispin's Day speech like that of King Henry V would they respond against the Leafs?

If I were a highly paid athlete in a highly competitive sport I'd bust my chops to win every game. Does Therrien owe MacLean any favors? Does he have a walrus fetish? A total outsider who saw these games and the 2013 playoff fiasco might say it looks that way. Aren't the players ashamed? Don't they care what the fans, let alone the higher-ups, think of them? A goon picked a fight with Pacioretty? Oh dear, that was so naughty! And do the players think ;t's all right to lose a couple of games to snake-eating honey badgers because they've just won a few games against lions and tigers and bears?

Big Guy

Aug 1, 2013
How come there is no such thing as polite banter with the opposition here? I waited til well after the game to give the Sens fans a jab and it gets removed in no time. I know all too well that it gets out of hand during the games but surely a friendly post is no grounds for censorship or am I missing something...

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Honestly i think the habs are far more effective at forcing turnovers in the neutral zone then the sens. The habs system looks much more organized. Gallagher needs to step it up a bit. Not sure what it was, maybe the ref warned him but after anderson gave him a shove he was invisble

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
DLR needs ahl seasoning. He didn't score 5 goals for a reason I know it's not his role but he needs some AHL time before being ready. I think Thomas should be the first called up. I can't wait for the season i liked what i saw from pac-dd-sekac

Why do you think that DLR needs AHL time?

Savannah Skunk

Nov 21, 2006
Off the banana farm
I hope to see the Habs in the playoffs; what a great series it would be.

PK is a winner, the future and identity of this emerging Canadiens' team. Forget the bone-headed decisions he makes from time to time (rather similar to a skinnier swede from a division rival); he's a franchise defense-man.

Now if the Habs could snap up a couple of brothers from Boston and Vancouver....

.. three Subbans on the same team. Wow!

Have a great season Habs' fans!. I hope to see you in the playoffs well and healthy! I wish the same to the Oil, Flames, Nucks, Jets and Lau.. Leafs.

An entire generation has passed since the Stanley Cup was won by a team in Canada. If the Sens don't win it, then I hope the Habs do!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad