OT: Sens Lounge XCX +1: NO POLITICS DAMNIT! edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I never got the appeal of GoT. I’ve tried several tunes but I just don’t find it appealing. Aliens and lasers? Ok. Dragons and magic? I mean, if the aliens and lasers made that reality possible, I guess...

Tiger winning today was cool. As polarizing as he is, to triumph after going through that much adversity is absolutely incredible.

Back fusion surgery? I know he got the best surgeons in the world but it’s still a gamble.

Dragons and magic are a small part of the show in the grand scheme of things.

It's more a political drama than anything. But now that the show is st its climax, magic and dragons are playing a part.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Golf. When you're fat, old, rich and white and have given up on finding anything interesting to do with your time.

(Says the guy who likes video games and anime)

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Oh for sure. Takes lots of skill, no denying that.
Bowling, darts, golf. Kinda all the same thing.

The thing I dislike most about golf though is the amount of bloody time it takes to play 18 holes. Its a time investment of an entire day. At least if I wanna play some darts, i can get it done with in 20 minutes or so.

It really is the most boring thing on the planet and attracts the most boring people in turn.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Glad I got to visit Notre-Dame many times, what a shame. I assume we'll find out they went cheap on the repairs and that that is one of the main causes of this tragedy.

As far as golf goes, it requires a lot of skill so I respect it. It is sort of like fishing: you gotta be doing it to really get it, watching is only for the people who know what is going on.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
My family and I are literally flying to Paris tomorrow and staying thru to Easter Monday.

The Notre Dame wasn't planned to be a big part of our visit, but certainly we were at least going to walk by and check it out.

Very sad that such an important historical building would be lost this way.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Anybody here spend much time in the phillippines?

A friend of mine from there has been talking it up and I'm thinking of checking it out, but I've read online that the rainy season lasts till October and isnt the best time to go.

Anyone have experience travelling there during the summer months?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

A friend of mine from there has been talking it up and I'm thinking of checking it out, but I've read online that the rainy season lasts till October and isnt the best time to go.

I believe @saskriders went out and about around that part of the world last year

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

1) It is miserable there during our summer - heavy rain daily starting in late May, all the way to October like you said. If you can only travel during the summer, basically forget the Philippines altogether unless you're a pluviophile.

2) there are nicer and less-dangerous countries in Southeast Asia if you're committing the travel dollars to get to that part of the world.

3) if you are traveling based on climate,

JUNE: don't go anywhere in SE Asia in June except maybe Indonesia, which is just starting it's dry season at that point.

JULY: peak travel season for Malaysia. Vietnam is ok (some rain, some sun). Indonesia still dry.

AUGUST: peak Vietnam travel season. Still peak season for Malaysia. Indo still dry, rain starts near the end of the month.

That's your Southeast Asia climate guide. If I didn't mention a country, assume that it's basically monsoon season and you'd better bring lots of rain gear. Our summer is their wet season for the most part. Philippines is basically THE wettest country out of all of them during this time. Indonesia is the dryest.

If you want to see SE Asia other than the countries I mention above, and want to stay relatively dry, don't go until at least November.

Reactions: PoutineSp00nZ

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
1) It is miserable there during our summer - heavy rain daily starting in late May, all the way to October like you said. If you can only travel during the summer, basically forget the Philippines altogether unless you're a pluviophile.

2) there are nicer and less-dangerous countries in Southeast Asia if you're committing the travel dollars to get to that part of the world.

3) if you are traveling based on climate,

JUNE: don't go anywhere in SE Asia in June except maybe Indonesia, which is just starting it's dry season at that point.

JULY: peak travel season for Malaysia. Vietnam is ok (some rain, some sun). Indonesia still dry.

AUGUST: peak Vietnam travel season. Still peak season for Malaysia. Indo still dry, rain starts near the end of the month.

That's your Southeast Asia climate guide. If I didn't mention a country, assume that it's basically monsoon season and you'd better bring lots of rain gear. Our summer is their wet season for the most part. Philippines is basically THE wettest country out of all of them during this time. Indonesia is the dryest.

If you want to see SE Asia other than the countries I mention above, and want to stay relatively dry, don't go until at least November.

Fantastic input, I really appreciate the time you put into that.

I'm open to most of se Asia, the phillippines was just sold to me from friend like I said.

Yoy mention that it isn't super safe in the phillipines tho? Any places I should avoid?

We were thinking of spending time in Manila, then maybe travelling to some of the places not to far off. Some coastal resort areas. Seems like there is a lot of places to see near manilla itself.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Golf. When you're fat, old, rich and white and have given up on finding anything interesting to do with your time.

(Says the guy who likes video games and anime)
Golf is unbelievable, I'd play golf 10/10 times over hockey at this point in my life, as someone who's played hockey every year of his life since age 4.

I'm not fat, old, rich, and do tons of interesting stuff.

Weekend golf trips are also by far the most fun weekends of the summer for me and my friends, not even a question.

Cabin, beers, sun, shooting the shit with friends, golf. Doesn't get much better for me.

I'm playing Cabot Cliffs, Cabot Links and Glen Arbour in July, can't wait

Last edited:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Golf is unbelievable, I'd play golf 10/10 times over hockey at this point in my life, as someone who's played hockey every year of his life since age 4.

Weekend golf trips are also by far the most fun weekends of the summer for me and my friends, not even a question.
That's fine. I just think golf culture is trash. Tbh, a lot of hockey culture is trash too. The vendiagram of shitty golf people and hockey people probably has a lot of overlap.

I have some experience with curling, rugby and basketball and I never encounter to same toxic culture in those sports. Just my own experience.

Last edited:

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I believe @saskriders went out and about around that part of the world last year

I went to SE Asia, but not Philippines and I went in February - April so my experiences might not be quite what he is looking for. But I can answer questions about much of mainland SE Asia.

Also golf is fun. And golf and curling have a huge overlap in players so I think it is strange to say their cultures are completely different.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
That's fine. I just think golf culture is trash. Tbh, a lot of hockey culture is trash too. The vendiagram of ****ty golf people and hockey people probably has a lot of overlap.

I have some experience with curling, rugby and basketball and I never encounter to same toxic culture in those sports. Just my own experience.

That's interesting, can you expand on your negative experiences in golf? Was it in a competitive environment (ie tournaments of some kind) or just when out playing with friends?

I've never played truly competitive golf, but have experienced some negative things when just playing with friends ... the old adage is true: if you really want to discover what someone is really like on the inside, play a round of golf with them.

I guess I'd say that for the most part, the "culture" of recreational golf is very much dependent on who you play with ... if you're friends are jerks, then golf with them will not be fun. But if they are good, easygoing guys (or gals) then you should have a great time.

Reactions: BondraTime

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008

Cabin, beers, sun, shooting the **** with friends, golf. Doesn't get much better for me.

I'm playing Cabot Cliffs, Cabot Links and Glen Arbour in July, can't wait
Golf is amazing to play but by the end of it we’re all loaded and can’t figure out how to get home...

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
What I get out of people's praise of golf is that it's an opportunity to hang out with friends and in many cases get loaded. Fair enough. In that case the fact that it takes a long time and that sometimes you have to travel and spend a week playing it are its advantages over, say, darts. It's like an excuse to do those things that has a name and recognised status as a valid activity. But let's not pretend any of that has anything to do with the sport itself specifically. At the end of the day, the fact that it takes a large time commitment (i.e. you have to be able to afford to not work for that time) and provides an opportunity to spend an extended time with people you want to learn about or make an impression on (i.e. good for business contacts) are what make it attractive for what somebody here termed 'rich white men'. Not everyone who plays golf is a rich white man, but everyone who is a rich white man plays golf, is probably the best way to term it.
My grandparents all played golf, as does my dad, so I went with them and tried it a bit as a kid. It can be a bit boring, but it's not the worst - you're walking around outside, which is another advantage for people who are otherwise cooped up inside working most of the time, but for me if I want that I'd rather go for a good, long hike or if I'm looking for exercise, go skating or kick around a ball.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Like I said, I am very demanding. I found the plot and characters to be tedious in the last two seasons. It wasn't all bad but overall, a massive step down from the early stuff. The show has been very uneven.

Shock for the sake of shocking mostly. That and a lot of horrible side characters that make everything they are involved in an absolute chore.

I mostly agree on both counts.
Breaking Bad had its moments, but it was also often quite painful to watch. Mostly I feel it got so overrated because it gave people a vicarious feeling of taking control of their lives and becoming a badass and sticking it to people. Which were the show's strongest moments, but it's kind of a cheap trick really.

Reactions: Icelevel

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
What I get out of people's praise of golf is that it's an opportunity to hang out with friends and in many cases get loaded. Fair enough. In that case the fact that it takes a long time and that sometimes you have to travel and spend a week playing it are its advantages over, say, darts. It's like an excuse to do those things that has a name and recognised status as a valid activity. But let's not pretend any of that has anything to do with the sport itself specifically. At the end of the day, the fact that it takes a large time commitment (i.e. you have to be able to afford to not work for that time) and provides an opportunity to spend an extended time with people you want to learn about or make an impression on (i.e. good for business contacts) are what make it attractive for what somebody here termed 'rich white men'. Not everyone who plays golf is a rich white man, but everyone who is a rich white man plays golf, is probably the best way to term it.
My grandparents all played golf, as does my dad, so I went with them and tried it a bit as a kid. It can be a bit boring, but it's not the worst - you're walking around outside, which is another advantage for people who are otherwise cooped up inside working most of the time, but for me if I want that I'd rather go for a good, long hike or if I'm looking for exercise, go skating or kick around a ball.
There are courses all over the place, you can play a game in less than 2 hours if you want to play the front/back 9 after work in the evenings during the summer. Taking a week to play is one of the biggest exaggerations I've heard here. If you want to take a 2 day golf trip you can play 4 rounds. If you. If you can afford any days off during the week (so,literally 99% of the population) you have more than enough time to play golf. 9 holes literally takes a shorter time than going to a hockey game.

And of course it has to do with the sport...saying otherwise is foolish

Last edited:

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
There are courses all over the place, you can play a game in less than 2 hours if you want to play the front/back 9 after work in the evenings during the summer. Taking a week to play is one of the biggest exaggerations I've heard here. If you want to take a 2 day golf trip you can play 4 rounds. If you. If you can afford any days off during the week (so,literally 99% of the population) you have more than enough time to play golf. 9 holes literally takes a shorter time than going to a hockey game.

And of course it has to do with the sport...saying otherwise is foolish

Definitely agree, especially on the last part.

I don't doubt that there are many who golf for the social aspect. But to lump everyone in that category is ridiculous. For many of us golf is fun, and we would do it even without the socializing. It is a challenging sport that you are playing against yourself more than anyone else (and if you do want to play against others it has handicapping to make it more accessible), and because of that it is so satisfying to watch a well hit ball or see yourself shoot a low score. And hell, the fact that you can socialize while you play is just an added bonus.

Reactions: BondraTime
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad