OT: Sens Lounge XCX +1: NO POLITICS DAMNIT! edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think "golf as a blue-collar activity" is very much a Canadian thing.

It's absolutely not that way in many, if not most, other parts of the world.

It might have something to do with our almost spoiled amount of unused greenspace.
Lucky us. Its a good game.. Great for kids to get into . Jr memberships are usually pretty reasonable .. and depending where , not too hard to wangle.
When I was coaching hockey lots of the kids played. I think its great.

Growing up I worked at a 36 hole course and got to golf for free for 3-4 years..
Before that I caddied
It was a member course .. Some were a little snooty but most were great . A few NHL players were members.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
So the bloke shot to death last night was killed by a guy who had already reached parole in 2018 in Alberta. Convicted of drug dealing , weapons, the usual, and was still on the streets. Dying in front of Bare Fax has to be the most final case of blue balls imaginable.

This justice system just doesn’t make any sense.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
So the bloke shot to death last night was killed by a guy who had already reached parole in 2018 in Alberta. Convicted of drug dealing , weapons, the usual, and was still on the streets. Dying in front of Bare Fax has to be the most final case of blue balls imaginable.

This justice system just doesn’t make any sense.

I'm not sure that an isolated incident can reflect the Canadian justice system as a whole.

I mean... There's certainly work to be done for sure, but the system "makes sense". It just needs to be a little better / more consistent.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
98c710d294e14131e8ac0c1c7cf885d8.jpg

Reactions: DrEasy

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I'm not sure that an isolated incident can reflect the Canadian justice system as a whole.

I mean... There's certainly work to be done for sure, but the system "makes sense". It just needs to be a little better / more consistent.
He breached parole when arrested in 2018. How is he on the street and not in jail after getting caught with all that loot, drugs, armour and weapons? 5 counts of breach of recognizance in 2018. And yet he is charged with murder a year later.

I don’t think that makes any sense.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
"Our Planet" on Netflix is excellent, just spectacular footage.

I spend half my time watching these types of shows wondering how they manage to get such amazing footage.

Those walruses though :(

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
There is no way the Philippines could beat us in a war. What a joke lol

In a total vacuum? That's a cool war gaming experiment anyway, but I'd agree, it's not close.

I don't claim to know anything about anything, just casual level interest so the CF guys on here or experts contribute.

My gut rough feel would be as follows:

RCAF >>>>Philippine Air Force

- Canada has superior multi role fighters in the CF-18 and in large numbers. The Philipines has no counter.
- IF the Philippines could neutralize the CF-18, then Canada is in for a world of hurt, as the Phillipinos have ground attack aircraft and attack helicopters, which Canada does not have. But that's an IF that is basically impossible.

RCN > Philippine Navy
-Canada's Navy is in bad shape. Real bad.
-But Canada has in theory around 12 frigates to the Philippines around 3 frigates and 10 corvettes.
-Canada has 4 submarines to deploy. Philippines has none.
-Philippines doesn't have the ability to transport their manpower and material over the sea in any reasonable time frame or volume.
-Philippines Navy does have a ~7000+ strong Marines unit that Canada does not have, which would be used alongside their Army units presumably.

Canadian Army >>>> Philippine Army
-It would appear both countries could field similar amounts of infantry units. The Philippines does have larger manpower on paper, 300 000 + active personnel to Canada's 90,000.
-Canada has like 100 Leopard Tanks and a ton (2000+??) of armored vehicles in the LAV family.They have no answer to that armour.
-This is not a diminshment of the capability and fighting ability of the Philippinos, they have some legit in the Marines and Special Forces, but that's nowhere close to enough.

TL;DR

Between the CF-18's and the Subs, the Philippines probably wouldn't make it to Canada.
If they did, Canada's armour wrecks them. GG no RE.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Also, if the Philippines ever did make a first strike they would also have to take on the 28 soon to be 29 NATO allies of Canada.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Did I miss something?

Are we imminently about to go to war with the Philippines?

Nah Duterte made some typically silly bombastic statement about going to war with Canada if we don't take our garbage back.

Our garbage being some 100+ shipping containers that were sent to the Philippines by a private Canadian company and declared as recycling, but the Philippino officials who inspected it said it wasn't recycling and the Canadian company didn't have the proper import paperwork, and have not / will not remove it from their port.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Duterte's gonna Dutert, I guess.

As for which army would win in a one-on-one fight - whichever country the invading force is would be the losing one. We don't have the sheer numbers needed for that kind of operation, and the Philippines don't have the infrastructure or resources to use their numbers advantage over such a long distance between countries.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
We could institute a draft.

I'm curious what we could do here if we totally overcommit to this.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Duterte's gonna Dutert, I guess.

As for which army would win in a one-on-one fight - whichever country the invading force is would be the losing one. We don't have the sheer numbers needed for that kind of operation, and the Philippines don't have the infrastructure or resources to use their numbers advantage over such a long distance between countries.

I think I read that Duterte made similar comments toward China recently too. So yeah, I think it's more just a lot of bluster for the sake of local votes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->