OT: Sens Lounge XCVII: "Zorf; 21 times!" Edition

What is more satisfying?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Cuba was interesting. Just a sad country altogether. So much tourist money coming in every single day and they can't put a modern toilet in an international airport bathroom? Feel bad for the citizens.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I am having some strange issues with my receiver: it starts to crackle on the right side and goes away on it's own. The speakers are brand new...

Anyone here good with that stuff?

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Stereo. An amplifier I plug my TV in.

The speakers are new, but the receiver isn't? Did the problems just start when you installed the speakers? Can you try hooking them up to something else to test them? The best thing to do is to try and verify what component specifically is the problem. Even if it they work fine it will give you a chance to hook it up to the reciever again. If the problems started just after installation it could have been that there was a mistake made during installation.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
I am having some strange issues with my receiver: it starts to crackle on the right side and goes away on it's own. The speakers are brand new...

Anyone here good with that stuff?

That's caused by dirty potentiometers or contacts. You need to take the case off the receiver and spray with a good quality contact cleaner. It could be any one of the front dials or switches so just take your time and clean each one. Spray each one from the inside while you are turning the dial/switch back and forth. That usually does the trick but make sure to let it dry thoroughly before giving it power.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That's caused by dirty potentiometers or contacts. You need to take the case off the receiver and spray with a good quality contact cleaner. It could be any one of the front dials or switches so just take your time and clean each one. Spray each one from the inside while you are turning the dial/switch back and forth. That usually does the trick but make sure to let it dry thoroughly before giving it power.

Seems odd that dirty pots would cause issues on one side only, unless I guess, if it's a balance pot. Typically you can diagnose dirty pots by adjusting the pot in question and seeing if it displays the symptoms in question. Also, if it's a more modern amp, don't they typically do things digitally? I've only ever gotten that dirty pot symptom on vintage stuff and instrument amps myself.

@Do Make Say Think, I agree it sounds to me like a bad contact of some sort (which is essentially what a dirty pot is too), maybe try swapping the speakers to see if it changes sides, then try swapping just the speaker wire. That will let you know if the wire or speaker is the culprit (if it follows the speaker, but not the wire, it's the speaker, if it follows the wire, it's the wire, if it doesn't change at all, it's the receiver).

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
hahaha

explanation required from coladin.

I went to a few weddings this summer. One was on Manitoulin Island at a waterfront venue. Most laid back and enjoyable wedding I've attended. There was spaghetti and a mother****ing taco stand for dinner. It was fantastic.

I vow to have McDoubles delivered as the midnight snack at my seemingly inevitable wedding.

Haha, my parents liked that stuff, they were actually really good. "Juan Talavera!"

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
The funny thing is laid back doesn't mean inexpensive! We went to a friend's wedding that was so so much fun and super laid back! But it still ended up being a $25000 wedding.

But realistically feeding 100ppl and giving them free access to anything they want to drink is going to cost $$. Say I have 4 drinks, a salad, main course and dessert at a restaurant it would cost around $50-60. So that would be $6000 right off the bat.

Its just a matter of if you want a party you need to realize spending that money will happen.

Depends a lot on the crowd too. Are they going to show up with a salad bowl and patio glasses, or are they bringing cash lol. I know a wedding, when I go with the wife, is usually $400 and up. $400 for an acquaintance kinda invited because they were obligated. But I usually do $500 if it is an actual friend.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Depends a lot on the crowd too. Are they going to show up with a salad bowl and patio glasses, or are they bringing cash lol. I know a wedding, when I go with the wife, is usually $400 and up. $400 for an acquaintance kinda invited because they were obligated. But I usually do $500 if it is an actual friend.

Oh my you are a nice friend!!! I'd give $400+ for a very good friend or family but generally I only do $150 pp (so $300 for the couple).

Most of my family and friends would give cash... But I don't want people to feel obligated to give anything at all. That's not what it is about! But it's a shame venues take advantage of that "bridal dream".

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Hey guys, what is your go-to red wine bottle when having a steak :) Let me know, thanks.

Too many to list, but a good, solid wine I can drink everyday is Mondavi Woodbridge Cab Sav. If it is a special evening (although eating steak should always be special lol), I love Caymus, Banfi Brunello di Montalcino.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Oh my you are a nice friend!!! I'd give $400+ for a very good friend or family but generally I only do $150 pp (so $300 for the couple).

Most of my family and friends would give cash... But I don't want people to feel obligated to give anything at all. That's not what it is about! But it's a shame venues take advantage of that "bridal dream".

Thanks! People know what weddings are about, they know it is expensive so I wouldn't worry too much about that. It is what it is...and today they are very expensive!

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Take it all apart and put it back together.. could be a loose connection

It seems one of the wires that goes from the TV to the amp (everything else is going into the TV) is faulty.

Very strange because it seems fine but unplugging it and plugging it back in makes the crackling/fuzz go away (and I am 99% sure it is the problem since I isolated the other pieces when testing)

I guess having a very good sound system means you'll hear any imperfection as well... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino