OT: Sens Lounge XCVII: "Zorf; 21 times!" Edition

What is more satisfying?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Wtf is up with this god damn weather.

climate+change+MGN+graphic.jpg

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Ugh... Planning a damn wedding is stressful!!! Everyone has an opinion and everyone wants to charge a stupid amount!

I was going to leave a comment with my thoughts. But then I realized I would basically be giving my opinion when I have no involvement :laugh:

I guess people should just let the couple make up their own mind (unless the couple asks them for input).

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Ugh... Planning a damn wedding is stressful!!! Everyone has an opinion and everyone wants to charge a stupid amount!

All I can say is that from experience, if you're paying the money for it - you're the one ultimately who makes the decisions.
And yes, everything is a stupid amount. I can recommend a reasonably priced wedding photographer though!

Also, consider a Friday wedding if it at all can work for you - for example Cambridge Mill (which I believe you're familiar with) when we had ours did not charge the venue fee for Friday bookings. That saved a couple grand right there.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
All I can say is that from experience, if you're paying the money for it - you're the one ultimately who makes the decisions.
And yes, everything is a stupid amount. I can recommend a reasonably priced wedding photographer though!

Also, consider a Friday wedding if it at all can work for you - for example Cambridge Mill (which I believe you're familiar with) when we had ours did not charge the venue fee for Friday bookings. That saved a couple grand right there.

Ooh yes the Cambridge Mill is very familiar to me but also already too pricey! And it is so hard to tell my parents that I don't want to invite all my uncle's and aunts. That's 40ppl who I don't ever see or haven't in like ten years. Even though it is likely most won't come... What if they do!?

And I already have a free photography! Yay for free stuff!

But I'm keeping costs under $10,000 for 100-120ppl. Which would be easy if we didn't have alcohol or didn't have to invite certain people. But it is funny, I come up with an idea, then Mike says it isn't classy enough! Like man, what do you want!?

And I'm someone who doesn't care about the dress, flowers, linens or any of that crap. I want food (hell it doesn't need to be fancy just needs to be enough) and drinks so ppl have fun.

But anyways, it is crazy. I'm about to just tell people I'm having a reunion and getting cheaper prices. Or bringing Amelia and hoping she sweet babbles them into a better deal! Issue is ppl are willing to pay $30,000 for a wedding no problem so why would anyone care to give me a deal!

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I never understood the need for a big wedding ceremony. Seems like a lot of hassle and expense just to get a book of neat photos. Something small with immediate family and close friends, and a nice meal afterwards. Relaxed, small and (relatively) stress-free is the way to go.

Reactions: DrEasy

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
I never understood the need for a big wedding ceremony. Seems like a lot of hassle and expense just to get a book of neat photos. Something small with immediate family and close friends, and a nice meal afterwards. Relaxed, small and (relatively) stress-free is the way to go.

Our issue is we have lots of really close friends and big families. And we both love to throw a good party. And to be honest we'd like to celebrate with good friends and family. But we keep going back and forth between doing something and not doing anything.

If we do something it would be bigish, and I want people to have all the drinks they want and to be fed well. That's what's important to me. But I realize that can come at a cost. Feeding 100ppl can be a lot (although 20 of them would be children).

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Holy smokes! Time to go out for a beer on the patio! Only 12 here currently, but it's going to cool down by the end of the day

Yeah that would be cool (or a rooftop bar, which is a big thing thing here in the summer).

Unfortunately this is a fairly rough week work-wise. No patio for me.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Yeah that would be cool (or a rooftop bar, which is a big thing thing here in the summer).

I shall be venturing into Brooklyn in early June to visit my good friend, then hitch a ride to Philly for a few days (I lived in Philly for awhile but havent been back in like 6 years). I have some vacation built up so I wanna use that shit this summer!

Last time I was in NYC the reading room was closed at the public library, I really want to see it after the renovations.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Ooh yes the Cambridge Mill is very familiar to me but also already too pricey! And it is so hard to tell my parents that I don't want to invite all my uncle's and aunts. That's 40ppl who I don't ever see or haven't in like ten years. Even though it is likely most won't come... What if they do!?

And I already have a free photography! Yay for free stuff!

But I'm keeping costs under $10,000 for 100-120ppl. Which would be easy if we didn't have alcohol or didn't have to invite certain people. But it is funny, I come up with an idea, then Mike says it isn't classy enough! Like man, what do you want!?

And I'm someone who doesn't care about the dress, flowers, linens or any of that crap. I want food (hell it doesn't need to be fancy just needs to be enough) and drinks so ppl have fun.

But anyways, it is crazy. I'm about to just tell people I'm having a reunion and getting cheaper prices. Or bringing Amelia and hoping she sweet babbles them into a better deal! Issue is ppl are willing to pay $30,000 for a wedding no problem so why would anyone care to give me a deal!

Yeah, we had about 70 people for ours but I did have to invite all my aunts and uncles (except for the couple who are kinda on the outs with the rest of the family). Actually one of the reasons we were able to go to the Mill was keeping the numbers down. Plus with my wife's family being in Brazil, we were able to send out a ton of invitations for family politics reasons knowing none of them would show up.

The fact that they included alcohol in the per plate price, and pretty much the only thing that we needed to do on our own was flowers, photography, music and cake (specialty cupcakes!) was a bonus too. We also had to arrange a shuttle service between hotel, church and venue because of the number of visitors who didn't have vehicles.

All in all we probably ran around 15-17k but my parents and her parents chipped in some for the extras. So our cost was around 10-12.

How is your little one doing?
Bianca's at six months now! In daycare because my wife is back to work, getting sick and tired though of some of our friends even making comments without realizing it and it bothers my wife. Brazil they only take six months leave but get full pay from the government. So to take a full year off here is just weird to her. Plus the fact my severance is over now, so I need to use my parental benefit before I go to unemployment and the fact that she was only at work basically nine months before going on leave... Wants to be back in the swing of things before she gets out of touch career wise.

I think the most asinine thing people say is "oh, why don't you take the full year, it's job protected"

Well sure, but they can find about a hundred unrelated reasons to let you go during or just after its over. Not to mention just setting up a constructive dismissal situation. Or the fact that if you are off longer than you'd been there you're effectively two years plus behind in your career because you're starting from scratch again when you return since your replacement took over all your projects you were managing and they'd only just got you trained up last time before you left.

Hell, I've no way to prove it but pretty sure I was picked in the RIF I got caught in partly because I had been asking about taking my parental leave. And I'd been there nearly ten years.

Still irks me that only one parent can receive benefit at a time despite the fact we've paid into the EI benefit system separately. If I could have gone on leave, they wouldn't have been able select me as part of the RIF.

Anyway rant over. Looks like Trudeau has heard my arguments about how the 18 month option is dumb from a professional standpoint for women and that there needs to be a larger push on fathers regularly taking leave if you want to get equality in the workplace.

At least then the bias will be more about family vs no family when hiring and promoting and gender doesn't come into it.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012

I miss a good rooftop bar! Toronto does have a few but they are meh. Halifax (when I was in university) had some fabulous rooftop bars!

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Yeah, we had about 70 people for ours but I did have to invite all my aunts and uncles (except for the couple who are kinda on the outs with the rest of the family). Actually one of the reasons we were able to go to the Mill was keeping the numbers down. Plus with my wife's family being in Brazil, we were able to send out a ton of invitations for family politics reasons knowing none of them would show up.

The fact that they included alcohol in the per plate price, and pretty much the only thing that we needed to do on our own was flowers, photography, music and cake (specialty cupcakes!) was a bonus too. We also had to arrange a shuttle service between hotel, church and venue because of the number of visitors who didn't have vehicles.

All in all we probably ran around 15-17k but my parents and her parents chipped in some for the extras. So our cost was around 10-12.

How is your little one doing?
Bianca's at six months now! In daycare because my wife is back to work, getting sick and tired though of some of our friends even making comments without realizing it and it bothers my wife. Brazil they only take six months leave but get full pay from the government. So to take a full year off here is just weird to her. Plus the fact my severance is over now, so I need to use my parental benefit before I go to unemployment and the fact that she was only at work basically nine months before going on leave... Wants to be back in the swing of things before she gets out of touch career wise.

I think the most asinine thing people say is "oh, why don't you take the full year, it's job protected"

Well sure, but they can find about a hundred unrelated reasons to let you go during or just after its over. Not to mention just setting up a constructive dismissal situation. Or the fact that if you are off longer than you'd been there you're effectively two years plus behind in your career because you're starting from scratch again when you return since your replacement took over all your projects you were managing and they'd only just got you trained up last time before you left.

Hell, I've no way to prove it but pretty sure I was picked in the RIF I got caught in partly because I had been asking about taking my parental leave. And I'd been there nearly ten years.

Still irks me that only one parent can receive benefit at a time despite the fact we've paid into the EI benefit system separately. If I could have gone on leave, they wouldn't have been able select me as part of the RIF.

Anyway rant over. Looks like Trudeau has heard my arguments about how the 18 month option is dumb from a professional standpoint for women and that there needs to be a larger push on fathers regularly taking leave if you want to get equality in the workplace.

At least then the bias will be more about family vs no family when hiring and promoting and gender doesn't come into it.

Oh yeah that isn't too bad for price. But still, so so much. I have found a place that does food and alcohol for $65-85pp with tip and tax included which I'm going to check out next week because frankly that is a decent price.

I've learned that regardless of how you parent, someone will always comment on how they wouldn't do it that way! I think about going back to work early every once in a while simply because I am not sure how long we can go with EI only. But I'm not sure I'm ready to work mainly weekends so I can suck it up and get smart with spending.

Amelia is doing well. Still struggling a bit with sleep (she'll be 5 months tomorrow) but it is getting better slowly. Finally only feeds at 11pm and 4am. But we've started feeds because she's a bit small and she loves her food! She can sit unassisted, squeels with delight and is generally a great baby. So life is good!

Looking into buying a home as well, so this year may be a bit crazy. Part of me wants to suggest moving to my parents, saving a bundle so we have more money for a downpayment and for a wedding. But I'm pretty sure that wouldn't fly with the Mr!

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
I shall be venturing into Brooklyn in early June to visit my good friend, then hitch a ride to Philly for a few days (I lived in Philly for awhile but havent been back in like 6 years). I have some vacation built up so I wanna use that **** this summer!

Last time I was in NYC the reading room was closed at the public library, I really want to see it after the renovations.

Your buddy is in Park Slope right?

Not too far from my place - I live up by the waterfront.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Oh yeah that isn't too bad for price. But still, so so much. I have found a place that does food and alcohol for $65-85pp with tip and tax included which I'm going to check out next week because frankly that is a decent price.

I've learned that regardless of how you parent, someone will always comment on how they wouldn't do it that way! I think about going back to work early every once in a while simply because I am not sure how long we can go with EI only. But I'm not sure I'm ready to work mainly weekends so I can suck it up and get smart with spending.

Amelia is doing well. Still struggling a bit with sleep (she'll be 5 months tomorrow) but it is getting better slowly. Finally only feeds at 11pm and 4am. But we've started feeds because she's a bit small and she loves her food! She can sit unassisted, squeels with delight and is generally a great baby. So life is good!

Looking into buying a home as well, so this year may be a bit crazy. Part of me wants to suggest moving to my parents, saving a bundle so we have more money for a downpayment and for a wedding. But I'm pretty sure that wouldn't fly with the Mr!

Oh yeah. Bianca's funny, she has almost no interest in learning prone to sit... But if seated, holds herself up very well and easily pulls herself to standing if offered a hand. She keeps trying to push herself straight to standing from prone too. Doesn't work very well yet though.
Super social baby too, doesn't play strange with anyone. If I have her out somewhere, and someone sits down near me she basically stares at them until she's acknowledged :laugh:

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Oh yeah. Bianca's funny, she has almost no interest in learning prone to sit... But if seated, holds herself up very well and easily pulls herself to standing if offered a hand. She keeps trying to push herself straight to standing from prone too. Doesn't work very well yet though.
Super social baby too, doesn't play strange with anyone. If I have her out somewhere, and someone sits down near me she basically stares at them until she's acknowledged :laugh:

That is hilarious!!

Amelia plays strange now. But I feel like she's getting a bit better the last week or so. She really loves animals, who don't necessarily love her back.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
That is hilarious!!

Amelia plays strange now. But I feel like she's getting a bit better the last week or so. She really loves animals, who don't necessarily love her back.
Oh yes. She's absolutely enamoured with with our cat, who doesn't give her the time of day (though yesterday when she was sitting playing with toys, he actually walked up nose to nose with her for basically the first time ever).
Since she's figured out army crawl, we also periodically have to redirect her from trying to get into the dog's cozy cave with her.

I actually think she might have a minor allergy like mine, because anytime she's got her face near the dog bed her eyes go super dark.

But yeah, social happy baby makes going out relatively easy. She just sits and people watches, or if it's a place we're fairly regular at, the waitresses all steal her while we actually eat dinner. Heck, she's even got me a free beer before!

Reactions: Here I Pageau Again

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Yup yup, park slope. Is that by Red Hook? He used to live there for a little bit, I was actually a huge fan of Red Hook.

I’m in DUMBO, which is basically due north of Park Slope.

Red Hook is the land of IKEA and extremely good BBQ. I don’t get down there much tbh.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I’m in DUMBO, which is basically due north of Park Slope.

Red Hook is the land of IKEA and extremely good BBQ. I don’t get down there much tbh.

Ahhh okay gotcha. Yeah transportation to Red Hook sucks, that was the big downfall I remember and why he moved to Park Slope from there.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Ahhh okay gotcha. Yeah transportation to Red Hook sucks, that was the big downfall I remember and why he moved to Park Slope from there.

Pretty much yeah. You kind of need to use buses as most of the subway lines don’t cut that far west.

Still a cool area. It’s really industrial which is becoming less and less common in a Brooklyn. That IKEA is a gong show though.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

My wife and I are of Italian descent, so we pretty much had no choice but to have an Italian wedding, which I was ok with. So 350 for a sit down, 8 course meal, on top of appetizers and open bar. We had mariachi singers during the meal followed by a DJ and live 7 piece band . Surf and Turf, was our main, with of course antipasto, soup. salad, pasta (2 kinds - can't have 1 lol), then the main, two desserts then midnight buffet with pizza, a sweet table that was 40 feet long, etc...my wife had a lot of, ahem, fun , planning it.

At the end of the day, we had made about $40K, and the plate costs was 88$ a plate back then, 20 years ago this August. Now, in Ottawa anyways, that type of wedding is double. If we had to pay our wedding we would have made $10K for 6 hours , pretty good, but our parents gifted us the wedding party, so they each paid their plates.

Italians don't mess around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad