OT: Sens Lounge XCIX: Thicc Whip Edition

Who would win in a race - my Honda Element or Zorf's minivan?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
As someone with a reasonably well seasoned background of reading peer-reviewed academic studies, I'd be very interested in reading the journal entries that suggest this, and the context the study was performed in before mainstream journalism got their sticky talons into it and stripped it of any real accuracy.

I still have my Carleton access to the various scientific journal databases. I'll take a look later this evening on my own time because I'm genuinely interested, but if there's anything you know of that I should take a look at, don't hesitate to add it to my reading list.

I haven't personally located 1 all encmpoassing study yet but i imagine it will be coming, This is an older article that I believe only focuses on controlled substances but is a good jumping off point imo: Comparative risk assessment of alcohol, tobacco, cannabis and other illicit drugs using the margin of exposure approach

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I haven't personally located 1 all encmpoassing study yet but i imagine it will be coming, This is an older article that I believe only focuses on controlled substances but is a good jumping off point imo: Comparative risk assessment of alcohol, tobacco, cannabis and other illicit drugs using the margin of exposure approach

Sweet, the abstract on that looks interesting. I hope they address the immediately obvious variable of MOE as it relates to standard consumption habits between three entirely different substances (solid vs liquid vs gas, as well as measured consumption habits), and account for that in their results.

I'll check it out, thanks!

Reactions: Upgrayedd

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Mostly because people like to make claims that it's perfectly safe and non addictive, then use language to avoid proving themselves wrong.

I think people have a tendency to categorize things as good or bad, and because of that place weed in one of those boxes instead of something like "not really all that bad, but still has problems like x,y, and z"

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Like I said earlier though, I really don't care if you smoke or not. Just don't want it in public places (and this applies to all forms of smoking). And don't act like it's a magical cure all with zero negative side effects. Because there are documented negative effects, especially on younger children.

And regarding the edibles issue, I'm not talking about users with their own children and pets in their houses (though this happens now occasionally). I'm talking about people who leave garbage behind (which happens in any park), and someone else's kid or dog ends up snatching it up.

Regarding CBD oil, at least with legalization of marijuana we can probably have some clinical trials. Anecdotal evidence is strong for it and rat trials seem to correlate the anecdotes but as far as I'm aware, it's still basically a pseudo science in terms of how it actually works for people and what the long term consequences of use are in humans.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Some people really don't like the volatility and that's fine. However I love it, it's interesting and keeps me on the edge of my seat some days. If you can put up with you can stand to make a ton of money. Just make sure to trade on cash and not margin. I put a ton of disposable income and it's looking pretty good so far...

Yeah, same here. I believe quite heavily that legalized marijuana is going to create an entirely new segment of the market that never existed before and something that even the black market couldn't deliver: a diverse blend of products for consumers across all demographics.

Not to mention the medicinal benefits which are finally starting to become more and more commonly accepted thanks to some pretty rigorous scientific backing. I can't recommend people enough to buy in to these stocks. People are going to look back on it the same way they look back now and are remiss that they didn't buy Apple or Amazon or Netflix or any of these other industry "disruptors".

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Then prove you can be evicted for cooking curry. Do you not think that is a human rights violation?
Are we talking as a rental apartment or in a condo building?

Because condo laws supercede landlord tenant act, so I can see it being possible if you're a tenant inside a condo unit.

For example, LTA says that you can't evict someone for pets. Condo Act says that you can make a no pet bylaw or rule, and it supercedes the LTA.

Reactions: coladin

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Then prove you can be evicted for cooking curry. Do you not think that is a human rights violation?

I have evicted people over burning incense. If you know how to satisfy the legal requirements, it truly does not matter if it is legal or not. What right trumps all others is the right to reasonable enjoyment. That means doing legal things like smoking cigarettes, pot, or cooking with curry, can get you in a heap of trouble. It is not a human rights violation.

I have been through Tribunals for Human Rights violations, and that focuses more on discrimination. I won't rent to you because you are Indian and curry is going got ruin my freshly painted apartment. I won't rent to you because dogs are noisy and they poop everywhere and scuff up my re-varnished floors. Those would be HR issues.

I have evicted pet owners as well, and it has nothing to do with human rights.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Are we talking as a rental apartment or in a condo building?

Because condo laws supercede landlord tenant act, so I can see it being possible if you're a tenant inside a condo unit.

For example, LTA says that you can't evict someone for pets. Condo Act says that you can make a no pet bylaw or rule, and it supercedes the LTA.

Correct, condo act is a whole different adjudication. Rentals are quite different.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I have evicted people over burning incense. If you know how to satisfy the legal requirements, it truly does not matter if it is legal or not. What right trumps all others is the right to reasonable enjoyment. That means doing legal things like smoking cigarettes, pot, or cooking with curry, can get you in a heap of trouble. It is not a human rights violation.

I have been through Tribunals for Human Rights violations, and that focuses more on discrimination. I won't rent to you because you are Indian and curry is going got ruin my freshly painted apartment. I won't rent to you because dogs are noisy and they poop everywhere and scuff up my re-varnished floors. Those would be HR issues.

I have evicted pet owners as well, and it has nothing to do with human rights.

Yeah, smells and pet evictions happen usually if a neighbour can prove a health issue as a result of your behaviour if I'm not mistaken?

Also, I know that a lot of condos are making/updating stricter no smoking rules as a result of today. Though I think it may depend on the building type whether they can enforce inside a unit or common elements only (and your balcony is typically considered a common element in my understanding).

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Uhh... No.

Which Canadian Human Rights violation do you think it falls under?

• Democratic rights (for example, the right to vote)
  • Language rights.
  • Equality rights.
  • Legal rights.
  • Mobility rights.
  • Freedom of religion.
  • Freedom of expression.
  • Freedom of assembly and association.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
For more information, it is rental apartment units, not condo's just an FYI. I know nothing about tenants/landlord rights, the only time I ever look up information and do research is when I had my own issues I want to look into. I know the issue is the smell of curry and the staining of walls when it is used as well.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Uhh... No.

• Language rights.
  • Equality rights.
  • Legal rights.
  • Mobility rights.
  • Freedom of religion.
  • Freedom of expression.

Ah making up fake new positive human rights. The pastime of our nations youth.

That's why I really really prefer we stick to negative human rights as much as possible.

Obviously some positive rights must exist (ie right to vote).

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
For more information, it is rental apartment units, not condo's just an FYI. I know nothing about tenants/landlord rights, the only time I ever look up information and do research is when I had my own issues I want to look into. I know the issue is the smell of curry and the staining of walls when it is used as well.

Also, landlord tenant rights vary wildly by jurisdiction. As do condo laws.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Uhh... No.

• Language rights.
  • Equality rights.
  • Legal rights.
  • Mobility rights.
  • Freedom of religion.
  • Freedom of expression.
The point to all of this is that you cannot evict someone over cooking food you don't like the smell of. People have the freedom to smoke in public. People have to learn to deal with it. If someone can show you do have the right so be it but it doesn't really matter at this point in the argument.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Dirty people stain walls too. You fix that with paint. Because curry stains a wall doesn't justify discrimination to renting or evicting someone.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
The point to all of this is that you cannot evict someone over cooking food you don't like the smell of. People have the freedom to smoke in public. People have to learn to deal with it. If someone can show you do have the right so be it but it doesn't really matter at this point in the argument.
Much like most public places, your rights end when they begin to infringe on someone else's. In this case, coladin's correct – if you're infringing on another tenant's reasonable enjoyment, it's your responsibility to change, not theirs to "deal with it." That's not opinion, that's law.

Reactions: BondraTime

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008

They don't have a right to smoke in public. They're allowed the privilege to smoke in certain public areas and denied it in others.

And if you had a neighbour who was allergic or had a negative health reaction to curry for some reason, yes you could be evicted if you are made aware of this and continue to put the health of your neighbour at risk due to common elements such as ductwork. Same reason why apartment buildings can outright ban smoking inside private dwelling units (also fire suppression systems can be used as a reason).

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
People have the freedom to smoke in public.

No they don't. There's TONS of restrictions on smoking in public places. In Ottawa, you can't smoke on a patio, within 10 meters of an entrance, etc...

Calgary has banned all public smoking of cannabis despite the new federal laws. Municipalities across the country are enacting laws prohibiting much public consumption. Even in ontario, right now, it's not legal to smoke pot publicly.

"According to the Cannabis Act, which remains in force until the Doug Ford government passes the Cannabis Statute Law Amendment Act, no one is allowed to smoke cannabis in a public place, a workplace, or a vehicle or a boat.
In August, the provincial government announced consumption rules would match the rules around smoking tobacco."

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The usual: give them an inch, they want a mile. Potheads and nuance don't go together...

I had no idea A Perfect Circle came out with a new album in 2018! I find it a bit uneven but MAN, the highs (pun fully intended considering today) are really tight. It had been a while since I had gotten this into a pretty "standard" rock album, feels good :)

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Much like most public places, your rights end when they begin to infringe on someone else's. In this case, coladin's correct – if you're infringing on another tenant's reasonable enjoyment, it's your responsibility to change, not theirs to "deal with it." That's not opinion, that's law.
How does staining a wall infringe on someone else's right? If that is a reason to evict then almost anything can justify it. The hall way is not a personal space. Now, if that smell is making it's way into your apartment that would be different. That's not what is being discussed here. That person has the right to cook all the curry they want without fear of being evicted.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
No they don't. There's TONS of restrictions on smoking in public places. In Ottawa, you can't smoke on a patio, within 10 meters of an entrance, etc...

Calgary has banned all public smoking of cannabis despite the new federal laws. Municipalities across the country are enacting laws prohibiting much public consumption. Even in ontario, right now, it's not legal to smoke pot publicly.

"According to the Cannabis Act, which remains in force until the Doug Ford government passes the Cannabis Statute Law Amendment Act, no one is allowed to smoke cannabis in a public place, a workplace, or a vehicle or a boat.
In August, the provincial government announced consumption rules would match the rules around smoking tobacco."
So you are saying people can't smoke in public? Also I was referring to cigarettes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad