OT: Sens Lounge XCIX: Thicc Whip Edition

Who would win in a race - my Honda Element or Zorf's minivan?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
No I never have, that seems like a simple and effective solution, might get a little hot on the ice but I'll give it a go, thanks for the suggestion.

Usually I shower immediately when I get home, maybe I should start showering in the change room again to get the sweat off even quicker.

Honestly, this is what worked for me. I'm sure base layers would work as well, but I find them hot/uncomfortable on the ice.

Reactions: Engineer

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Maybe its because I play net, but I love those under armor style compression base layers. They're so comfy.
Agreed.

Also like them because I feel like they keep the hips and groin and shoulders in place and happy.
Last time I skated out without compression shorts /pants, managed to tweak something on a quick turn to back check.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
You're going to have to remind me what specifically you want me to address, then, because if I'm being honest you're kind of all over the map on this today.
Problem is people trying to use examples to explain themselves and people finding a problem with the example.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Problem is people trying to use examples to explain themselves and people finding a problem with the example.
So you have issues with people providing their justification for an opinion, as well as people analyzing that justification?

Ie the basis of legitimate critical discourse?

We should just all provide our own unsupported hot takes and ignore what anyone else has to say?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Like... Do you want to talk about logical fallacies? Effective and ineffective debate techniques? Deconstructing the idea of discourse to it's base elements?

I'm still not sure what you're looking for here. Are we still talking about pot?

Reactions: Caeldan

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
On another note. Went to an "interview" today.

Quick background, just recently finished up my engineering degree finally, went to a recent local career fair and have been working through my backlog of places I spoke with to apply to.

Anyway, this place calls me up before I had a chance to follow-up from the fair based on the conversation I had with the recruiter there.
Have a bit of a chat with the HR person, we're discussing 'career opportunities' over any specific posting and it is made clear that similar to the discussion with the recruiter that their business development side is where I'd like to branch my career into. Basically I've always had very technical roles, but I enjoy people interactions and big picture scenarios and problem solving more than going down the rabbit hole of design and development.

Set up a meeting with the office manager for today to discuss the potential, etc. Get there and apparently the office manager hasn't looked at my resume nor has he been relayed any of the information from the previous discussions.
So after the quick five minute or so review of my resume and my general career goals, comes to the same conclusion regarding business development being the next step for me. Though his rationale is that because he feels I realize I'm at an age now where I can't keep up with the 'kids' with respect to how technology changes and design.

Anyway, at this point he's like yeah there is potential for you here but our BD team is away at a conference this week, so there's no one really to follow-up with today. He calls up someone else who turns out to be the original recruiter I talked to, who provides me with their standard 'test' for BD applicants which was to summarize a two page technical whitepaper into a few paragraphs within twenty minutes.

I do this, he says that the next step is they'll forward the resume and my summary I wrote to the BD team, he thanks me for my time and says they'll contact me Monday or Tuesday next week to potentially schedule a follow up interview. Asks me if I had any other questions... So I at least ask for a quick tour of the place.

Basically it kinda confirmed to me that the negative glassdoor /indeed reviews were fairly close to the mark and not just disgruntled former employees.

Bright side, just got a call from another place I'd rather work for an interview.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
The album is called Eat the Elephant.

Its a bit more mellow than the previous two, lots of piano. I have been listening to "The Doomed" on loop for last three days.

Was about to listen to it, but according to teksavvy there's a province wide cable outage at the moment impacting all people on the Rogers network :(

So presently I only have mobile access to the internet.

I like the HHGttG reference in the track list though

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
So you have issues with people providing their justification for an opinion, as well as people analyzing that justification?

Ie the basis of legitimate critical discourse?

We should just all provide our own unsupported hot takes and ignore what anyone else has to say?
I am pointing out people start arguing over the specifics of the examples and the actual topic getting forgotten.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
On another note. Went to an "interview" today.

Quick background, just recently finished up my engineering degree finally, went to a recent local career fair and have been working through my backlog of places I spoke with to apply to.

Anyway, this place calls me up before I had a chance to follow-up from the fair based on the conversation I had with the recruiter there.
Have a bit of a chat with the HR person, we're discussing 'career opportunities' over any specific posting and it is made clear that similar to the discussion with the recruiter that their business development side is where I'd like to branch my career into. Basically I've always had very technical roles, but I enjoy people interactions and big picture scenarios and problem solving more than going down the rabbit hole of design and development.

Set up a meeting with the office manager for today to discuss the potential, etc. Get there and apparently the office manager hasn't looked at my resume nor has he been relayed any of the information from the previous discussions.
So after the quick five minute or so review of my resume and my general career goals, comes to the same conclusion regarding business development being the next step for me. Though his rationale is that because he feels I realize I'm at an age now where I can't keep up with the 'kids' with respect to how technology changes and design.

Anyway, at this point he's like yeah there is potential for you here but our BD team is away at a conference this week, so there's no one really to follow-up with today. He calls up someone else who turns out to be the original recruiter I talked to, who provides me with their standard 'test' for BD applicants which was to summarize a two page technical whitepaper into a few paragraphs within twenty minutes.

I do this, he says that the next step is they'll forward the resume and my summary I wrote to the BD team, he thanks me for my time and says they'll contact me Monday or Tuesday next week to potentially schedule a follow up interview. Asks me if I had any other questions... So I at least ask for a quick tour of the place.

Basically it kinda confirmed to me that the negative glassdoor /indeed reviews were fairly close to the mark and not just disgruntled former employees.

Bright side, just got a call from another place I'd rather work for an interview.

Congrats on the degree and good luck landing that first job.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Congrats on the degree and good luck landing that first job.

I've been in the workforce for a while, was upgrading my education while employed, got laid off shortly after the birth of my daughter, found a weekend shift factory job (union gig though) after severance ran out, finished the degree, now trying to get going forward with the career again where I'm not destroying myself.

What area?

Degree is electronic systems engineering, so sort of that "mechatronics" region. Mostly using past work experience and the B.Eng part of it to move into something like technical sales /application engineering /business development (aerospace and industrial automation are the industries I'm mostly looking at right now since that's what I know) so I can get some soft skills and maybe in another five years land a solid project /program management position.

Or maybe the AE gig turns into outside sales and I find I really enjoy that and stick with it.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Looks like strong sales as shortages as predicted.

It will level out, but so far so good for my remaining cannabis investments.

Wish I had a bigger bankroll when I started, but man, what a crazy profitable run up this has been.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
For the first time in my life my skin has been reacting with rashes to my hockey gear :confused:

I washed all my gear and it didnt fix the problem, anybody have this concern before? Will new gear help fix the issue? I wonder if antihystamines would help...

Anti histamines may help, also a cortisone cream may also help.

I'd suggest you get the gear professionally cleaned or wear long sleeved clothing to avoid skin contact (already mentioned).

I had this happen with my fit bit, unfortunately it kept happening because my body changed with pregnancy and sweat plus watch band just always means rash now.

Reactions: Engineer

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Mostly because people like to make claims that it's perfectly safe and non addictive, then use language to avoid proving themselves wrong.
I honestly don't believe it's adictive. I haven't touched the stuff in years and when I did, it wasn't regularly. But I knew some people who did... without attempting to be coy, it's just not the same as, say... alcohol, cocaine, nicotine, etc. It can turn into a habit perhaps for some, but it's truly not adictive.

Reactions: Stylizer1

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Much like most public places, your rights end when they begin to infringe on someone else's. In this case, coladin's correct – if you're infringing on another tenant's reasonable enjoyment, it's your responsibility to change, not theirs to "deal with it." That's not opinion, that's law.
Not disagreeing... but, at the same time, "infringing on another tenant's reasonable enjoyement" could be anything. What if, for example, one likes to have sex for hours in the early morning hours and the tenants feel that what they may be hearing are "infringing on their reasonable enjoyement" of sleeping?

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I honestly don't believe it's adictive. I haven't touched the stuff in years and when I did, it wasn't regularly. But I knew some people who did... without attempting to be coy, it's just not the same as, say... alcohol, cocaine, nicotine, etc. It can turn into a habit perhaps for some, but it's truly not adictive.

I’m guessing marijuana is less addictive than caffeine and sugar as well. I’m not expert on the actual plant and its specifics though.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
everyone has their "poison". some people smoke weed like if it was cigarettes or drink coffee. it is for sure addictive for some people.
i love weed but lets not kid ourselves, its not for everyone.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I definitely know people who are "addicted" to weed. I suppose though whereas a coke addict or alcoholic will gradually destroy their lives with their addiction, these people are just lazyass pieces of shit who are at worst a mild frustration for those closest to them.

Reactions: coladin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad