OT: Sens Lounge XCIX: Thicc Whip Edition

Who would win in a race - my Honda Element or Zorf's minivan?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Humans are exceptional at innovating to deal with changing environment.

So I think we will stretch it out longer than you think. But it's gonna get reaaaaaal nasty.
We have trump on our side. Everything is going to be just fine.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
We've evolved to be selfish from a greed and reproduction point of view from a survival instincts that are no longer required.

If we want to have any chance of sustainable humanity on this planet we need to get our procreation problems under control. Our population is already unsustainable with the natural resources on this planet and it is rapidly increasing. Suggesting that we limit procreation is unsurprisingly political and social suicide so the odds of that ever happening in the near future is next to none. The other option is we very quickly learn how to mine other planets and asteroids, improve the production rates of artificial food, and get our pollution problem under control.

We have an uphill battle.
We are definitely alive at an interesting time in human history. Grab your popcorn and buckle up.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Which organization was it that just wrote meat consumption(including byproducts like dairy and eggs) would have to be decreased by like 95% for the planet to be ok. Is that really realistic? I’d like to think that could happen but...

Most organizations are crackpots. Especially ones which are so memorable that you can't remember their name.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
Most organizations are crackpots. Especially ones which are so memorable that you can't remember their name.
Ha yeah.
Well it’s just that there’s so many of them saying similar things it gets confusing who said what when.
Was someone reputable though or I would have blocked it from my brain. Don’t make me look it up mmmk?
(Alright I have to look it up now)

I think it was this I saw,
Huge reduction in meat-eating ‘essential’ to avoid climate breakdown

“The new study follows the publication of a landmark UN report on Monday in which the world’s leading scientists warned there are just a dozen years in which to keep global warming under 1.5C, beyond which even half a degree will significantly worsen the risks of drought, floods and extreme heat. The report said eating less meat and dairy was important but said current trends were in the opposite direction.
The new research, published in the journal Nature, is the most thorough to date and combined data from every country to assess the impact of food production on the global environment. It then looked at what could be done to stop the looming food crisis.”

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Isn’t that like saying that the taste of your meal is more important than the health of the planet?

Cause I’m not sure it would be enough if everyone just ate less red meat.

Which organization was it that just wrote meat consumption(including byproducts like dairy and eggs) would have to be decreased by like 95% for the planet to be ok. Is that really realistic? I’d like to think that could happen but...

I mean yeah, that’s what I’m saying. I’m prioritizing my own satisfaction over saving the environment. I realize it’s not a good thing.

Pobody’s nerfect.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Yeah... That's not how science works.

Scientific validity is not proven or disproven based on whether or not a random average citizen has heard of who funded / performed / published / reported the study or not.

If that were the case, 90% of all research would be worthless.

Reactions: The Lewler

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Ha yeah.
Well it’s just that there’s so many of them saying similar things it gets confusing who said what when.
Was someone reputable though or I would have blocked it from my brain. Don’t make me look it up mmmk?

“The new study follows the publication of a landmark UN report on Monday in which the world’s leading scientists warned there are just a dozen years in which to keep global warming under 1.5C, beyond which even half a degree will significantly worsen the risks of drought, floods and extreme heat. The report said eating less meat and dairy was important but said current trends were in the opposite direction.
The new research, published in the journal Nature, is the most thorough to date and combined data from every country to assess the impact of food production on the global environment. It then looked at what could be done to stop the looming food crisis.”

That UN report was interesting for many reasons.

One of which was the Intergovermental Panel for Climate Change changed its timeline for when the sort of point of big time trouble would be. It changed it to be further away.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Ha yeah.

Let's be honest....we can all go vegan, and it will NOT save the planet. We can have 7.6 billion humans living like hippies, and in the end, we'll still go extinct. It'll just happen a few centuries later than if we all remained omnivores.

Our big brains are a curse. And it will be a curse for the "next ones" to become the dominant species. That's what folks don't get. It's not a human thing. All lifeforms will do whatever it takes to survive and have the easiest life. Those big brains and adaptability simply cause us to have a much greater impact on the environment than any other creature. Same thing will happen to whatever replaces us.

Last edited by a moderator:

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
I’m fairly certain I have my first concussion, will be seeing the doctor tomorrow to verify. Took a puck straight to the Bauer logo in the front of my helmet on Friday night, lucky it wasn’t a few inches lower and my face instead I guess. Might be enough to scare me into wearing a cage again, that thing to my face was probably a shattered jaw.

The never ending headache is already old, Tylenol not doing much. Tried to go out for lunch today with my wife, that was a stupid idea, we left the loud trendy restaurant before we were seated and went to a quiet sushi place instead.

This sucks.
Aw bad news man. Hope it gets better soon. Take it easy.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
I’ve got a very not nice week at work approaching. Sunday scaries hitting me hard.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I’m fairly certain I have my first concussion, will be seeing the doctor tomorrow to verify. Took a puck straight to the Bauer logo in the front of my helmet on Friday night, lucky it wasn’t a few inches lower and my face instead I guess. Might be enough to scare me into wearing a cage again, that thing to my face was probably a shattered jaw.

The never ending headache is already old, Tylenol not doing much. Tried to go out for lunch today with my wife, that was a stupid idea, we left the loud trendy restaurant before we were seated and went to a quiet sushi place instead.

This sucks.

So, from the couple I've had in the past few years... First bit of advice I have to give you is don't push it.

Take yourself offline for a day or two, do the dark room and no tv, no computers, no phones thing.

Drink plenty of fluids (of the non alcoholic variety), and even in the first couple of days don't even read or do puzzles or anything else that requires mental heavy lifting.

Then ease back into things, the most frustrating part of the recovery is when you convince yourself that you're symptom free and do something to cause a setback.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Let's be honest....we can all go vegan, and it will NOT save the planet. We can have 7.6 billion humans living like hippies, and in the end, we'll still go extinct. It'll just happen a few centuries later than if we all remained omnivores.

Our big brains are a curse. And it will be a curse for the "next ones" to become the dominant species. That's what folks don't get. It's not a human thing. All lifeforms will do whatever it takes to survive and have the easiest life. Those big brains and adaptability simply cause us to have a much greater impact on the environment than any other creature. Same thing will happen to whatever replaces us.

And as much as the political board was a cesspool, it was crazy to nuke it. There was a lot of good info on there, if you were willing to wade through the toxic sludge.

Unless its some kind of insect hive mind mentality. But then I think I read that there needs to be a much higher level of oxygen in the atmosphere to allow for insects to grow larger, which they would need to to develop bigger brains . . . which might happen if we take most land animals with us when we make this rock inhospitable enough for mammals to survive.

But then I don't know anything, and I'm just pulling stuff out of my ass.

Who knows really, I guess is what Im saying lol

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Did the political board get nuked? I cannot access it.

EDIT: Wow.... They actually did it...
Was there an announcement somewhere stating the reasons or justification for the decision?

I always enjoyed reading the politics board, but would almost never post -- too easy to get drawn and quartered there if you throw out an opinion that isn't fully researched!!

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Was there an announcement somewhere stating the reasons or justification for the decision?

I always enjoyed reading the politics board, but would almost never post -- too easy to get drawn and quartered there if you throw out an opinion that isn't fully researched!!

On the main page if you go to the very bottom they posted their reasons.

Basically it was too hard to moderate and too time-consuming.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

No announcement, just the one post saying the admins thought it was too much work to maintain which I call 100% BS on because the forum was unmoderated. Stuff may have spilled from the Political board on to the rest of the forum a few times, let's say I found out we have a few crackpots on HFSens :laugh:, but I never saw it get out of hand.

Yeah, I hear you on the fact that going against the grain on there could be very painful. I was a semi-appreciative of certain things Jordan Peterson said and got into some lively discussions about him!!

I would really like a way to voice my and everybody else's displeasure with the move and the lack of communication about it. The HFPolitical community was rather tightly-knit (I wasn't really part of the community but I like to think most regulars knew me) and had been going for a long, long, long time. This is just really poor form.

Pretty surprised the politics forum was shut down. Seemed like one of the more popular sections of the site. Unless they found people regularly going full libel, I really don't get it.

This could be a valid reason for shutting it down. If this was the case, I'd appreciate it if the admins just admitted to it. Libel was a big issue around the last lockout (that and some powerful admins were extremely pro-Union) but they were open about it and people respected it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad