OT: Sens Lounge XCIX: Thicc Whip Edition

Who would win in a race - my Honda Element or Zorf's minivan?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
Yeah, now that I've looked into it more it looks like you are right and my memory was wrong.

Regardless, that part of the my post was pretty irrelevant, and I will redact that aspect. Thanks for the correction.

If I could give you multiple likes, I would:
One for saying I'm right (I like hearing it).
One for admitting an error.
One for correcting your error.
And one more for doing a good job otherwise in trying to discourage prolonged fasting!

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Literally every sentence in your post was scientifically inaccurate and therefore scientifically invalid. That is undebatable, why you are getting defensive over this fact escapes me.

Speaking with doctors doesn't change this fact. Medicine is evidence based, a water fasting detox is not evidence based. In fact, whatever doctor suggested that a detox was healthy for you, you should report them to the CMA to be investigated.

"You can find any reason to discredit someone "

There is zero scientific evidence to a diet based detox. The scientific method is not flimsy in definition like you constantly imply.
You need to smoke some weed and relax man.

I'm not getting defensive at all. Fasting is something that is done around the world for various reasons and it's okay that you don't understand it. Let your mind be free

Last edited:
Reactions: maclean

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
That's not what I said, at all. There's a big difference between eliminating toxins from your body for a short time, and oxygen. Pretty sure the human body isn't going to roll over and die if you don't eat junk for a week.

By your logic, we should strap someone on a treadmill and set it at full speed for a few weeks...cause, you know, the heart is designed to work 24/7.

If you're dumping toxins into your liver 24/7, which is the liver's equivalent of running 24/7, maybe you should give it a break. But sane people don't do that.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I'm wondering where you learned this. From what I remember from physiology (and I got an A, as if that validates me at all. Just wanted to brag. I studied really hard, okay!?), assuming a healthy endocrine (hormone) system, most people will begin to use the amino acids in their muscles for when the glycogen stores in your liver initially run out. For the typical person, this is after about a day of fasting. A day or two (a total of 48-72h of fasting), your body will begin to reserve the amino acids it has been taking from your muscle tissue and go into a state of ketosis in which fat becomes your primary source of glucogeneogenesis (creating glucose from non-carbohydrate sources). You can also go into ketosis by cutting out or severely limiting carbohydrate intake. If you are not fasting and just limiting carbohydrates, the time it takes to go into ketosis will likely be longer, as your glycogen stores will likely be depleted at a slower rate. Although you will likely still end up losing muscle mass with prolonged fasting, I just wanted to find out where you got your time frame from.

So I guess this is the theory behind the keto diet? Or whatever its called?

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
So I guess this is the theory behind the keto diet? Or whatever its called?
Yes. I believe intermittent fasting (consume all of your calories for the day in an eight hour window, fast the remaining 16h of the day) also leans on this.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
What toxins are you talking about, and where are they coming from? How are you measuring these toxins in your body? Can you define these, I'm curious as to what toxins we are talking about here, our modern food has the lowest level of contaminants in human history.

Here's the flaw in your analogy: consuming food doesn't cause our body to overwork itself like running on a treadmill for an extended period of time does. It's a necessity to our survival, unlike prolonged running. Fasting is essentially your attempt to remove a necessity for our survival for a limited period of time, the other members analogy was much more apt.

By toxins, I mean just about anything that's crappy for you. Refined sugars, alcohol, chugging soft drinks, taking aspirin like candy...stuff like that. There's a reason why folks who abuse stuff tylenol and alcohol tend to have sickly livers. If you don't have the willpower to change your eating habits permanently, at least trying to step away from the crapola for a few days every once in a while can only help your body...even if it's just a tiny bit. I was never actually advocating avoiding food completely.

Reactions: Stylizer1

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Yes. I believe intermittent fasting (consume all of your calories for the day in an eight hour window, fast the remaining 16h of the day) also leans on this.

Yeah I guess.

I've been using intermittent fasting to lose weight, and it's been working. For me personally, what happens is unless you go crazy eating like an idiot, by restricting your feeding window it's easier to keep in a caloric deficit. I don't care about ketosis , just straight calories in, calories out .

If breakfast was 400 calories before, and a later in the evening snack was another 200-300 calories, by not doing those things it keeps me in a caloric deficit, because I eat lunch at 11am. Am full. I eat a snack in the afternoon, and eat a big dinner.

Cut out any drinks other than water and maybe the odd combo of 1 cup OJ / rest water for lunch, a glass of wine at dinner, and it also keeps the empty calories away.

So far I'm down about 15 lbs over 5 months. Which is good. The weight gain was gradual based on caloric surplus, so the weight loss is gradual for the same reasons.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Yeah I guess.

I've been using intermittent fasting to lose weight, and it's been working. For me personally, what happens is unless you go crazy eating like an idiot, by restricting your feeding window it's easier to keep in a caloric deficit. I don't care about ketosis , just straight calories in, calories out .

If breakfast was 400 calories before, and a later in the evening snack was another 200-300 calories, by not doing those things it keeps me in a caloric deficit, because I eat lunch at 11am. Am full. I eat a snack in the afternoon, and eat a big dinner.

Cut out any drinks other than water and maybe the odd combo of 1 cup OJ / rest water for lunch, a glass of wine at dinner, and it also keeps the empty calories away.

So far I'm down about 15 lbs over 5 months. Which is good. The weight gain was gradual based on caloric surplus, so the weight loss is gradual for the same reasons.
Ketosis is a normal metabolic process. When the body does not have enough glucose for energy, it burns stored fats instead. Training your body that way will help you lose even more weight without trying.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Ketosis is a normal metabolic process. When the body does not have enough glucose for energy, it burns stored fats instead. Training your body that way will help you lose even more weight without trying.

Yeah I know what ketosis is. I don't care to try and keep my body "in it".

I'll eat fruit if I want with my eggs for " breakfast " at 11am.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Looking for recommendations for a moving company. I'm handling my parents' move and only have until Oct. 31st.. at this point. Giving away and selling things as well. So, it won't be tons of things but still would like someone professional. Any good leads is appreciated. They're moving within the city of Hull.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I did keto from January until end of May and I didn’t find it too hard after about two weeks. I still didn’t find it sustainable though. Sorry but I’m not going the rest of my life without carbs. :laugh:

A healthy balanced diet works way better IMO. I enjoy Mediterranean style eating.​

Reactions: Bean Drown

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Anyone try this new fake beef burger at A&W?

I haven't but my brother did and said it is pretty good. I went to try it but it was basically sold out everywhere!

Also re: diets. As a cardiac nurse, long term high fat/low carb diets make me cringe.

Personally I agree with above. A well balanced diet filled with fresh foods is the way for me.

Last edited:

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Anyone here have much experience with outdoor rinks?

I’m thinking of making a small one for my kids this year- but curious how much work I’m getting myself into. The build itself seems fairly straightforward but not clear on the upkeep part yet

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
I haven't but my brother did and said it is pretty good. I went to try it but it was basically sold out everywhere!

Also re: diets. As a cardiac nurse, long term high fat/low carb diets make me cringe.

Personally I agree with above. A well balanced diet filled with fresh foods is the way for me.

Is it like the Impossible Burger? Have been able to get that here for a while. It’s ok.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Personally I don't get why anyone would want that. But I'm also the type that doesn't really get this desire to create fake meats. If you are vegetarian, own it and eat delicious veggies and beans! Why try to make "pulled pork" or "bacon"?

I would say that once lab meat is at a point where it is indistinguishable from normal meat and costs less than normal meat it would generally be unethical to continue to eat regular meat. Not just because of animal rights concerns, but also because of environmental concerns. For what its worth I'm not a vegetarian and even if I felt like I should be one I would probably die because outside of potatoes I don't enjoy vegetables at all (I have mentioned on here that I am a picky eater and would like to change, but it is not easy at all as many things I just don't seem to be able to enjoy or even find "neutral")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad