OT: Sens Lounge XCIX: Thicc Whip Edition

Who would win in a race - my Honda Element or Zorf's minivan?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
That UN report was interesting for many reasons.

One of which was the Intergovermental Panel for Climate Change changed its timeline for when the sort of point of big time trouble would be. It changed it to be further away.

Is this the report were the panel said dangerous crisis could hit by 2040?

I remember in 1998 when they said it was 100 years away...

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Thank you for the suggestions. Officially diagnosed with a minor concussion, no imaging necessary just resting and avoiding stimuli.

I will do my best to avoid these forums for the next couple of days as part of the recovery, talk to you all in a few.

Get better!

You probably won't see this until you are back but when I had my concussion, I went for long walks (at a slow pace) at nights to help me get ready for sleep. Fresh air and dimly light paths helped me a lot.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I never used the politics forum but still seems sad to lose it. I was also under the impression that it was unmoderated, which makes the moderation reasoning odd, but if there were posts constantly being reported in it I can see how that would make it seem like a senseless burden. I've never been a fan of phrases like "keep politics out of sports" because everything is political.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
What does this even mean?

The leftists destroyed the left.
bbfhG5

Last edited:

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
I’m fairly certain I have my first concussion, will be seeing the doctor tomorrow to verify. Took a puck straight to the Bauer logo in the front of my helmet on Friday night, lucky it wasn’t a few inches lower and my face instead I guess. Might be enough to scare me into wearing a cage again, that thing to my face was probably a shattered jaw.

The never ending headache is already old, Tylenol not doing much. Tried to go out for lunch today with my wife, that was a stupid idea, we left the loud trendy restaurant before we were seated and went to a quiet sushi place instead.

This sucks.
That doesn't sound too good. Did you get the Doctor to check it out?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
If anything, that forum was a SJW forum. The majority on there leaned heavily to the left.

Yes.

Not totally HF here, but it really feels like there's a group of folks out there on social media trying their damnedest to shut down any and all left voices. We know the far right almost has a monopoly on propaganda and crapola on social media (just watch twitter and the horrible misinformation every time there a mass shooting - especially involving anyone who they can twist into a terrorist)....it really feels like losing that politics board is a huge blow for anyone looking for decent information and a good "straightening out" of all the crazy going on south of the border. Probably sounds stupid of me to say it this way, but I got more info and knowledge of US politics from that board than any other news source.

I mean hell, first the powers that be wiped all the message boards at IMDB a few years ago (with invaluable info on a ton of obscure movies - info that simply can't be compiled again)...and now this. It's like 21st century book burning. It's really discouraging.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Yes.

Not totally HF here, but it really feels like there's a group of folks out there on social media trying their damnedest to shut down any and all left voices. We know the far right almost has a monopoly on propaganda and crapola on social media (just watch twitter and the horrible misinformation every time there a mass shooting - especially involving anyone who they can twist into a terrorist)....it really feels like losing that politics board is a huge blow for anyone looking for decent information and a good "straightening out" of all the crazy going on south of the border. Probably sounds stupid of me to say it this way, but I got more info and knowledge of US politics from that board than any other news source.

I mean hell, first the powers that be wiped all the message boards at IMDB a few years ago (with invaluable info on a ton of obscure movies - info that simply can't be compiled again)...and now this. It's like 21st century book burning. It's really discouraging.
Considering the vast majority of the media is left leaning not sure how the left is being shut down.

Reactions: ThePriorityDeal

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Considering the vast majority of the media is left leaning not sure how the left is being shut down.
A news outlet that doesn't agree with your views doesn't make them left-leaning. There's good and bad in the media no matter where you look, but I think "vast majority" is a colossal exaggeration. Most media outlets are either neutral or maybe tend slightly to the left. But for every David Reevely or Matthew Pearson (reasonable and even-handed,) there's a Christie Blatchford or a Rosie DiManno (aggressive and over-the-top.) And unsurprisingly, it's the latter whose voices are amplified and that's why the perception exists that news outlets are incredibly biased.

And frankly, saying the vast majority is left leaning is very dangerous rhetoric that leads to the "enemy of the people" BS that is being peddled south of the border. The media landscape is far from perfect, granted, but they tend to be far more balanced than most people on either side of the spectrum is willing to give them credit for.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Disappointed in my local municipal election results. But for some reason I can never be bothered to really get into figuring out the municipal candidates at the same time.

But it seems weird to me that career politicians are falling into municipal spots once they fail out of provincial or federal politics.

Guess it's just a popularity contest.

On the other hand, looks like a referendum to move to a ranked ballot passed, which is good. The more municipalities that use something other than simple first past the post, the more likely we can get the changes to trickle up.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
In the information age, it's pretty damn easy to find balanced reporting, and to gather and form your own opinions. Also, it is all about perspective IMO.

What is called "left leaning" in the USA could be considered centrist or even right leaning in other parts of the world. :laugh:

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
In the information age, it's pretty damn easy to find balanced reporting, and to gather and form your own opinions. Also, it is all about perspective IMO.

What is called "left leaning" in the USA could be considered centrist or even right leaning in other parts of the world. :laugh:

This is all absolutely true.

I'll add to your point about finding balanced reporting and forming your own opinions ... IMO, you should seek out and read the opinions of intelligent, rational people from all across the political spectrum and read their work regularly.

Keep your mind open to all ideas, and avoid reacting emotionally!

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008

Unfortunately it's just as easy to find your own echo chamber and narrow your viewpoint to a state where anything that contradicts your personal conclusions is x-leaning partisan bias. And still think you're looking at "balanced reporting" from the perspective of your worldview.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Unfortunately it's just as easy to find your own echo chamber and narrow your viewpoint to a state where anything that contradicts your personal conclusions is x-leaning partisan bias. And still think you're looking at "balanced reporting" from the perspective of your worldview.

That is true, it pretty much depends on if the person is somewhat rational and open minded I guess, and also likes to challenge themselves.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
That is true, it pretty much depends on if the person is somewhat rational and open minded I guess, and also likes to challenge themselves.

Yeah, it's why I tend not to block anyone I know personally on social media. Have a few people who are extremes on either side of the political spectrum and like to actively promote their political likes and dislikes.

Gives me a way to see both sides of the coin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad