OT: Sens Lounge XCIX: Thicc Whip Edition

Who would win in a race - my Honda Element or Zorf's minivan?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I would say that once lab meat is at a point where it is indistinguishable from normal meat and costs less than normal meat it would generally be unethical to continue to eat regular meat. Not just because of animal rights concerns, but also because of environmental concerns. For what its worth I'm not a vegetarian and even if I felt like I should be one I would probably die because outside of potatoes I don't enjoy vegetables at all (I have mentioned on here that I am a picky eater and would like to change, but it is not easy at all as many things I just don't seem to be able to enjoy or even find "neutral")

Have you tried camouflaging more veggies into your food? I'm a picky eater myself, and pretty much the only way I can get my veggie intake up is to add a handful into things like soups, meatloaf, sauces, pizza, etc. Not exactly a great way to eat, but it's better than no veggies.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
I would say that once lab meat is at a point where it is indistinguishable from normal meat and costs less than normal meat it would generally be unethical to continue to eat regular meat. Not just because of animal rights concerns, but also because of environmental concerns. For what its worth I'm not a vegetarian and even if I felt like I should be one I would probably die because outside of potatoes I don't enjoy vegetables at all (I have mentioned on here that I am a picky eater and would like to change, but it is not easy at all as many things I just don't seem to be able to enjoy or even find "neutral")

I guess that makes sense, but I still don't love it. But I actually like veggies and like figuring out what I can do with them to make them taste delicious. So moving towards a more veggie based diet is not something I'm opposed to if it comes to that. Heck we already moved from having meat everyday to having two meatless days a week. It's healthier, less expensive and fun to try new things. Just don't make my veggies pretend to be meat!

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Have you tried camouflaging more veggies into your food? I'm a picky eater myself, and pretty much the only way I can get my veggie intake up is to add a handful into things like soups, meatloaf, sauces, pizza, etc. Not exactly a great way to eat, but it's better than no veggies.

I tend to have some difficulties with mixing textures, so that doesn't really work with me. For example sometimes people mix in chopped up onions in burger patties, but if I am eating a burger (yeah I know I am being hypocritical with the mixing textures thing but a bun and burger and maybe bacon is one of a few exceptions) and random chunks of something turn up in my mouth it kinda grosses me out.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
I tend to have some difficulties with mixing textures, so that doesn't really work with me. For example sometimes people mix in chopped up onions in burger patties, but if I am eating a burger (yeah I know I am being hypocritical with the mixing textures thing but a bun and burger and maybe bacon is one of a few exceptions) and random chunks of something turn up in my mouth it kinda grosses me out.

You can add veggies to things not in chunk form. Like pureeing veggies and add them to sauces for example

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Personally I don't get why anyone would want that. But I'm also the type that doesn't really get this desire to create fake meats. If you are vegetarian, own it and eat delicious veggies and beans! Why try to make "pulled pork" or "bacon"?

It’s not my cup of tea either, but as Sask noted the environmental benefits are potentially staggering.

Assuming someone is actually able to develop a synthetic meat substitute (the Impossible Burger doesn’t hack it, not even close).

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

I hear ya. I'm not much of a 'mixer' myself. But there are certain foods kinda designed for mixing....soups, sauces, pizza. Tossing a handful more veggies to a pot of soup than what a recipe calls for is kinda like the stealth boost.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
It’s not my cup of tea either, but as Sask noted the environmental benefits are potentially staggering.

Assuming someone is actually able to develop a synthetic meat substitute (the Impossible Burger doesn’t hack it, not even close).

Honestly, I'm a meat lover but if I need to be more veggie based as life goes on, I'd rather just learn awesome veggie recipes than attempt to make my veggies taste and act like meat. But that's me!

Having a synthetic meat would be great for a lot of people

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Personally I don't get why anyone would want that. But I'm also the type that doesn't really get this desire to create fake meats. If you are vegetarian, own it and eat delicious veggies and beans! Why try to make "pulled pork" or "bacon"?
Because it tastes good(cooked animal flesh that is). But it is destroying the planet so it’s not really a good idea to continue with.
Tried the beyond burger from a&w yet? Or the full size beyond burger from milanos?
They are pretty good. By far the best veggie burger I’ve tasted.
These foods aren’t “fake” anything. They are just plant foods. Anything can be processed to have different textures or flavours. Doesn’t make them fake. It’s not like many people enjoy a plain boiled chicken or cow. Things need to be done to it before serving. No one calls a hot dog fake but it’s far from a slab of beef. It’s just made to taste and look like a hot dog

Last edited:

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Because it tastes good(cooked animal flesh that is). But it is destroying the planet so it’s not really a good idea to continue with.
Tried the beyond burger from a&w yet? Or the full size beyond burger from milanos?
They are pretty good. By far the best veggie burger I’ve tasted.
These foods aren’t “fake” anything. They are just plant foods. Anything can processed to have different textures or flavours. Doesn’t make them fake.

I get why ppl do it but honestly I've never had a veggie substitute that is replaceable.

To me, just make me some awesome vegetarian recipes, stop trying to make it meat like. It isn't meat, don't pretend. Be your own awesome tasting food!

(Again I get why people do it, I just don't like trying to make veggies taste like meat, it doesn't compliment veggies all that well to me).

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
I get why ppl do it but honestly I've never had a veggie substitute that is replaceable.

To me, just make me some awesome vegetarian recipes, stop trying to make it meat like. It isn't meat, don't pretend. Be your own awesome tasting food!

(Again I get why people do it, I just don't like trying to make veggies taste like meat, it doesn't compliment veggies all that well to me).
I recommend trying the beyond burger from milanos or a&w

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
I recommend trying the beyond burger from milanos or a&w

I've actually meant to try the a&w burger, but it is always sold out.

And no idea what milanos is -- I'm not from Ottawa if it is an Ottawa thing.

But I'm open to trying these things, I just find vegetarian meals far better when they don't try to be meat

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
I've actually meant to try the a&w burger, but it is always sold out.

And no idea what milanos is -- I'm not from Ottawa if it is an Ottawa thing.

But I'm open to trying these things, I just find vegetarian meals far better when they don't try to be meat
Oh, yeah milanos is an Ottawa pizza place.
The beyond burgers are back in stock everywhere. They were sold out because of popularity last month but the Canadian government has invested $150 million to prevent that from happening again.
The a&w patties are special smaller versions for the fast food restaurant. The full sized (better) patties are usually sold at real ;) restaurants and I think you can buy them at whole foods in packs of 4.
They are apparently working on getting prices down lower too.
Seems like a cool company.

Last edited:
Reactions: Here I Pageau Again

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Honestly, I'm a meat lover but if I need to be more veggie based as life goes on, I'd rather just learn awesome veggie recipes than attempt to make my veggies taste and act like meat. But that's me!

Having a synthetic meat would be great for a lot of people

I’m with you. I generally love vegetarian and vegan cooking, so long as the vegetables are given center stage. I don’t like meat approximations.

I also love meat though lol. Not gonna stop eating that any time soon.

Reactions: Here I Pageau Again

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
I’m with you. I generally love vegetarian and vegan cooking, so long as the vegetables are given center stage. I don’t like meat approximations.

I also love meat though lol. Not gonna stop eating that any time soon.
I get what you’re saying about loving meat. I used to eat a ton of it. Like as much as anyone I’ve known. It does taste good. Cooked and seasoned with plant stuff that is.
I won’t deny that if those meals I used to love did not require the animal slaughter and negative environmental impact then I would enjoy the taste experience.

The thing is, it is really f***ing up the planet. Pretty undeniable at this point that in order to feed everyone the meat they want each day a lot of destruction and pollution has to occur. I mean just looking at the waste management side. What do you do with all that excrement? And then the amount of crops they need to consume and the land space that takes up.

And it’s true that the majority of people are not going to just stop eating animals.

So some kind of solution is needed relatively quickly. That’s why these meat alternative companies exist and hopefully for the sake of all of us they succeed.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
I get what you’re saying about loving meat. I used to eat a ton of it. Like as much as anyone I’ve known. It does taste good. Cooked and seasoned with plant stuff that is.
I won’t deny that if those meals I used to love did not require the animal slaughter and negative environmental impact then I would enjoy the taste experience.

The thing is, it is really ****ing up the planet. Pretty undeniable at this point that in order to feed everyone the meat they want each day a lot of destruction and pollution has to occur. I mean just looking at the waste management side. What do you do with all that excrement? And then the amount of crops they need to consume and the land space that takes up.

And it’s true that the majority of people are not going to just stop eating animals.

So some kind of solution is needed relatively quickly. That’s why these meat alternative companies exist and hopefully for the sake of all of us they succeed.

I don’t eat much red meat, but yes I definitely acknowledge that the environmental impact is pretty severe. I would switch to synthetic meat pretty much immediately if someone was able to come up with like a 95% approximation. I’m not sure that’s going to happen for a while though.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
I don’t eat much red meat, but yes I definitely acknowledge that the environmental impact is pretty severe. I would switch to synthetic meat pretty much immediately if someone was able to come up with like a 95% approximation. I’m not sure that’s going to happen for a while though.
Isn’t that like saying that the taste of your meal is more important than the health of the planet?

Cause I’m not sure it would be enough if everyone just ate less red meat.

Which organization was it that just wrote meat consumption(including byproducts like dairy and eggs) would have to be decreased by like 95% for the planet to be ok. Is that really realistic? I’d like to think that could happen but...

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Isn’t that like saying that the taste of your meal is more important than the health of the planet?

Cause I’m not sure it would be enough if everyone just ate less red meat.

Which organization was it that just wrote meat consumption(including byproducts like dairy and eggs) would have to be decreased by like 95% for the planet to be ok. Is that really realistic? I’d like to think that could happen but...

I'm saying that.

The planet isn't in danger. No matter how bad we f*** things up the planet will recover, it's not in our power to threaten the earth.

We can f*** ourselves over tho. And we are probably going to do that no matter what.

So yeah I'm gunna eat some meat. Because it's tasty, and what is the point of life without those little pleasures?

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
I'm saying that.

The planet isn't in danger. No matter how bad we **** things up the planet will recover, it's not in our power to threaten the earth.

We can **** ourselves over tho. And we are probably going to do that no matter what.

So yeah I'm gunna eat some meat. Because it's tasty, and what is the point of life without those little pleasures?
The planet may recover but it will take a while and it will be after we are gone. Land and water is being polluted all over the place.
Animal agriculture is right up at the top of the causes. Why not try and stop the damage? Why leave our kids with a bigger problem than exists now without effort to reverse? Is it fair?

No fish is being predicted by 2030. That’s quite a danger, no?

Just because the planet will recover(we think), does it give all freedom to destroy it?

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
The planet may recover but it will take a while and it will be after we are gone. Land and water is being polluted all over the place.
Animal agriculture is right up at the top of the causes. Why not try and stop the damage? Why leave our kids with a bigger problem than exists now without effort to reverse? Is it fair?

No fish is being predicted by 2030. That’s quite a danger, no?

I guess that's where we differ. I don't care if we wipe ourselves out. In fact i think it's the best thing possible for the planet.

I'd rather we end up being all altruistic and star trek but it's not in our nature.

So whatever. The next fenerations can continue to mess things up, and sooner or later we will all be gone.

Give it a few million years and the cockroach people get their chance. The smart monkey experiment failed, hopefully the next one goes better.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
I guess that's why we differ. I don't care if we wipe ourselves out. In fact i think it's the best thing possible for the planet.

I'd rather we end up being all altruistic and star trek but it's not in our nature.

So whatever. The next generations can continue to mess things up, and sooner or later we will be gone.

Give it a few millions years and the cockroach people get their chances.

The smart monkey experiment failed.
But there are already human beings doing it. Can’t really say it’s not in our nature.
I think it’s a lot to do with tradition, culture, habits etc. Those things can change. It’s not that humans are inherently bad.

I know what you mean about not caring if we wipe ourselves out though. I have thought about how much better off the planet would be without us. But that is just with the way people are behaving today. Change the behaviour and we could all thrive along side our environment.

Last edited:

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
But there are already human beings doing it. Can’t really say it’s not in our nature.
I think it’s a lot to do with tradition, culture, habits etc. Those things can change. It’s not that humans are inherently bad.

That's a whole other can of worms if we get into thst converaation. And it's usually a downer lol. So let's just agree to disagree on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad