OT: Sens Lounge LXXXI | Time to clean up your act son!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I'll see it, but so not excited for it.
The second movie killed it for me.

What?? you're crazy...why?

The Tolkien series are my favourite pieces of literature and films, the guy was a true creative genius. And I know, he completely deviated from the Hobbit storyline, but I can't help it to be anything but excited, it'll be the end of another (and potentially the last) Tolkien saga so the way I see it we have to appreciate what Peter Jackson gave us otherwise there would have probably been nothing.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008

I'm just tired of the formula Jackson's gone with, especially with respect to adding stuff that flat out doesn't exist in the story.

1) Elven wire-fu scene is required.
2) 'Theme park' scene is required (eg dwarven lava ride under the mountain).
3) Random love triangle inserted to the story.
4) Constant witty quips between friendly rivals during fight scenes.
5) End movies at non-logical breakpoints, to allow for the actual climatic moment to occur partway through the next movie (eg Smaug should have died in the second).

He did that for the entire LOTR series, and has done that for both of the Hobbit films so far.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

The Tolkien series are my favourite pieces of literature and films, the guy was a true creative genius. And I know, he completely deviated from the Hobbit storyline, but I can't help it to be anything but excited, it'll be the end of another (and potentially the last) Tolkien saga so the way I see it we have to appreciate what Peter Jackson gave us otherwise there would have probably been nothing.

LOTR is GOAT movies.

Hobbit movies are... meh. I'll tell you this much though, I HATE THE CGI. I mean, irrationally hate it. LOTR looked AMAZING because they used prosthetics and real actors & extras. Hobbit looks like a 3rd rate Dreamworks cartoon at times.

I mean, I get that Smaug has to be CGI. Fine... he was actually done fairly ok. The rest though.... dear lord. Looks terrible. TERRIBLE.

I'll see the 3rd Hobbit movie because it's Tolkien, but it's been a disappointing trilogy, to say the least. So many bad decisions. It just doesn't seem to have the same kind of soul that LOTR did... Jackson's just going through the motions.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
An Unexpected Journey was fantastic: it was light-hearted and really conveyed the distance travelled all while giving a bit of gravitas that is "required" by big budget movies that was tactful: making the dwarves care about their "country" and giving them an enemy makes them more relatable and easier to root for (in the book the only thing they care about is the gold) and the enemies chasing them helps the pace too.
I walked into to the theatre very skeptical but the movie won me over.

Then Desolation of Smaug ruined everything. Holy **** is that movie ever awful... One of the most unenjoyable theatre experiences I've ever had, I came real close to walking out. They made it into some stupid epic with a ******* love story that makes no sense. I get wanting to add a woman, I'm down with it, but they did it the worst possible way. They also utterly ruined my favourite scene of the book with the barrel scene by making it some ****ing stupid roller coaster ride. It went from a story about travelling Middle Earth and discovering it's lore and inhabitants to some lame epic. That movie makes me very, very mad.

I have no hope for the third one. There's like 60 pages left in the book by the time Smaug goes to burn Lake-Town and they are going to sttttttrrrrreeeeeeeettttttccccchhhhhhh it out to 2h30. **** off Peter Jackson: you built me up with the first one, then kicked me in the nuts with the second one and are going to be laughing at me while you make the battle of five armies (that is all of 3 or 4 pages long) fill an entire movie?! No, just no. :rant:

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
On another note.

Anyone here do Law School? I'm seriously considering it and looking for some insights

I'm from a family of lawyers, so while I didn't go myself, I have scads of cousins & uncles & other family relations who did.

#1 thing I can say: if you're a family man, or think you are going to become one, it's the wrong profession for you. Unless you do IP law, or otherwise find yourself outside of the standard private practices & partnerships (ie: get a job with DoJ, etc...) get ready for 25 years of 70+ hour work weeks, and being treated like absolute crap until you're made partner.

If you're a career-driven kind of guy though, and have no real family plans any time soon, then go for it.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Haha wow, I came here to share my excitement with you guys not to defend the movies :laugh:
I agree the Hobbit isn't perfect in many regards, I find this one was more for money and entertainment compared to the LOTR series, which might also explain why the Hobbit is lacking academy award nominations.

I'm just tired of the formula Jackson's gone with, especially with respect to adding stuff that flat out doesn't exist in the story.

1) Elven wire-fu scene is required.
2) 'Theme park' scene is required (eg dwarven lava ride under the mountain).
3) Random love triangle inserted to the story.

4) Constant witty quips between friendly rivals during fight scenes.
5) End movies at non-logical breakpoints, to allow for the actual climatic moment to occur partway through the next movie (eg Smaug should have died in the second).

He did that for the entire LOTR series, and has done that for both of the Hobbit films so far.

I don't think he had a choice but to add some scenes into the movie due to it being a trilogy, if it was a two part movie in its entirety then I think this could have been one of the best series of all time right next to LOTR but what's done is done I guess, he took the path that lead him to more money.

I don't think the elven wire-fu scene was bad if its the scene where they're escaping Woodland Realm, it added for some laughs with a mix of cool action. I deffs agree with the lava bit, it all felt kind of forced to me, and I hated the fact that Legolas and ****ing Tauriel were in the book, aside from that I can live with the other points you made simply because I don't think they're hurting the entertainment aspect of it too much.

One thing I wish they added was the forest scene, they could have probably cut out the whole time they spent developing Tauriel and Legolas and maybe even cut down on the Smaug scene (chasing the dwarves through the halls and the lava bit you mentioned too) and then put that time into prolonged Mirkwood forest scenes how the company gets lost (although they did add the bit about the stag and falling into the river in the extended scenes) and also put more development into the happenings at Dol Guldur. In the book it feels like the forest part lasted forever yet it was pretty damn short in the movies so that was disappointing.

edit: just remembered the inclusion of Azog the Defiler, also pointless :shakehead

LOTR is GOAT movies.

Hobbit movies are... meh. I'll tell you this much though, I HATE THE CGI. I mean, irrationally hate it. LOTR looked AMAZING because they used prosthetics and real actors & extras. Hobbit looks like a 3rd rate Dreamworks cartoon at times.

I mean, I get that Smaug has to be CGI. Fine... he was actually done fairly ok. The rest though.... dear lord. Looks terrible. TERRIBLE.

I'll see the 3rd Hobbit movie because it's Tolkien, but it's been a disappointing trilogy, to say the least. So many bad decisions. It just doesn't seem to have the same kind of soul that LOTR did... Jackson's just going through the motions.

I agree, LOTR and Hobbit CGI are on two entire different levels. LOTR was a masterpiece, even when they did use CGI they did it in such an amazing manner. You can seriously tell the huge difference by contrasting the fight scenes in LOTR and the Hobbit...the scene in the 3rd LOTR where the fighters of Rohan are going down the hill lead by King Theoden and then the scene wit the elephants used heavy CGI butt here was just a realistic feel to it whereas the Hobbit looked like a video game at times lol. I feel like this final one will be extremely heavy on the CGI, oh well.

edit: continued my rant on CGI for you in the bottom reply lol

An Unexpected Journey was fantastic: it was light-hearted and really conveyed the distance travelled all while giving a bit of gravitas that is "required" by big budget movies that was tactful: making the dwarves care about their "country" and giving them an enemy makes them more relatable and easier to root for (in the book the only thing they care about is the gold).
I walked into to the theatre very skeptical but the movie won me over.

Then Desolation of Smaug ruined everything. Holy **** is that movie ever awful... One of the most unenjoyable theatre experiences I've ever had, I came real close to walking out. They made it into some stupid epic with a ******* love story that makes no sense. I get wanting to add a woman, I'm down with it, but they did it the worst possible way. They also utterly ruined my favourite scene of the book with the barrel scene by making it some ****ing stupid roller coaster ride. It went from a story about travelling Middle Earth and discovering it's lore and inhabitants to some lame epic. That movie makes me very, very mad.

I have no hope for the third one. There's like 60 pages left in the book by the time Smaug goes to burn Lake-Town and they are going to sttttttrrrrreeeeeeeettttttccccchhhhhhh it out to 2h30. **** off Peter Jackson: you built me up with the first one, then kicked me in the nuts with the second one and are going to be laughing at me while you make the battle of five armies (that is all of 3 or 4 pages long) fill an entire movie?! No, just no. :rant:

Haha wow, I hated the addition of Tauriel too but your hate is on another level :laugh:

I actually didn't mind the barrel scene, it added humour and entertainment I find but for the most part I agree with them ruining Desolation of Smaug by adding Legolas and Tauriel and cutting a few other more important scenes (Dol Guldur development and the Mirkwood forest scene was so damn short)

But yeah I was talking to my friend about the 3rd movie too and I said literally the same stuff you said, the battle scene is literally 3 pages long and they'll somehow stretch it out to at least an hour long (it's inevitable so we might as well begin to expect it) so I hope it's at least somewhat entertaining and not too CGI packed, I liked LOTR because the way they used CGI didn't impact the quality of the movie.

But as BonkTastic said the CGI in the hobbit is brutal and it won't get better in this one, I would bet all my money on it. You could see the development of CGI throughout the entire series, the fellowship of the ring had some CGI but they used it right, to make places like Rivendale and Mordor more beautiful (or scary) and realistic. Then in the Twin Towers we saw a bit more CGI with the Black Wings (the beasts the kings were riding) tearing down buildings and breaking walls, then the Return of the King had a lot of CGI during the war scenes but to be honest even then I was fine with it as it helped the movie in terms of quality, it wasn't too much you know?

But the 1st Hobbit took it a few steps further than the Return of the King and the Desolation of Smaug took it even further than the 1st Hobbit so yeah...Peter Jackson has said this movie in a bad directions in terms of technology.

But yah, to get back to your point, they should have made this a two-part movie from the start so they could cut out the Tauriel/Legolas BS entirely and cut down on other scene (like Smaug scenes)

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
But yah...despite everything that's wrong (the long list of flaws) with the Hobbit that you guys made me realize just now (btw **** you guys for that lol :() I still love the Tolkien series and the Hobbit still remains one of my favourite series lol

also sorry for the long post, it's okay if you guys didn't read it all, I understand.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
They are stuck in the Mirkwood for months in the book and held captive by the elves for weeks

In the movie? 10 minutes

The whole movie was a roller coaster ride of check marks

It was insulting

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Can anyone tell me why ad block put together is censored on this forum?

For example, *******. How is this word considered bad on this forum?

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Most of the points re: the Hobbit have been covered already. I also found the first one acceptable and the second one infuriating. If Jackson wants to add things in I am not a priori against it, but to add in a bunch of ******** and as a result barely cover the actual plot points is disgusting. One of the worst things for me was the whole interaction between Bilbo and Smaug. In the book there's this whole prolonged interaction and taunting between them that was fascinating and added great tension, then in the movie it's just Oop, here I am, ACTION SCEEENE!
But I'll still take the kids to see the third one, hell I don't think we've even been to the movies since the last one.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
This was originally a post about a stupid question, but it was a dumb question on my part, so now I'm just going to edit my post to delete that part, and instead post a gif of what it will look like when our Milky Way galaxy inevitably collides with the Andromeda galaxy... because our universe is amazing:

wem3c5P.gif

In case anyone is curious, this should happen in roughly 4 billion years, give or take a couple of hundred million years.

Last edited:

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
You can choke a person to death quite easily, and it may or may not be accidental. That is different from kicking or biting someone.

You can easily kill someone with a kick to the head as well as a punch. But kicking and punching falls under assault.

I don't know maybe choking is very different. Just seems odd it's singled out compared to other ones..

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
It does seem a bit odd but I don't know how "easy" it is to kill someone with a punch. It's "possible", but only one of many outcomes, most of which are injury. Death is the logical conclusion of choking. The actual crime I think is not just choking, but using choking as a means to another felony or something of the sort. As a means of inducing the fear of death in someone asphyxiation is much more primal.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
It does seem a bit odd but I don't know how "easy" it is to kill someone with a punch. It's "possible", but only one of many outcomes, most of which are injury. Death is the logical conclusion of choking. The actual crime I think is not just choking, but using choking as a means to another felony or something of the sort. As a means of inducing the fear of death in someone asphyxiation is much more primal.

Yeah that makes sense..

What a fall from grace that guy had. Feel bad for those woman, must of been hard to come out given the power he held over a lot of them.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It has arrived!!!

I'm actually pumped. Watched it twice and everytime the Millenium Falcon shows up I get shivers! Really liked the camera work even though short sample size

Man I hope they pull it off and erase the prequels from memory

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It has arrived!!!

I'm actually pumped. Watched it twice and everytime the Millenium Falcon shows up I get shivers! Really liked the camera work even though short sample size

I wish Hollywood would stop doing those annoying quick cut scenes like that. Drives me nuts. The eyes aren't as quick as they used to be, and I end up seeing virtually nothing.

But, oh man, hearing that music gives me shivers up the spine. The very first movie I ever saw (outside the home) was Star Wars: A New Hope at the Drive-In in Gloucester back in 1977-78 (can't remember which year). I was about 4 and a half at the time, and it was the most amazing experience ever.

I remember when the Phantom Menace hit the screen a few years ago, and I sat in the theatre and wept when that music came on. To hear that orchestra in the theatre again....that is the definition of Hollywood magic.

I just wish Luca didn't "improve" the original series. That's like fixing the smile on the Mona Lisa. You just don't do that.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
There's a great interview/speech with Kevin Smith where he describes his experience of getting invited onto the set and walking onto the stage with the full scale replica of the Millennium Falcon. Big fella was trying to be professional movie guy but got verklempt despite himself once he took his first step onto the iconic ship. Convinced him (among other things) that this was being done the right way.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
It has arrived!!!

Major, major goosebumps. Love John Williams soundtracks!

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
So...Black Friday, 489 for a PS4, 2 controllers, Last of Us remastered (I think people here have said it is an amazing game), GTA V (13yr old boy, kinda the norm these days for teens) . Should I do it? It is on Shop.ca and I have a $40 PAYPAL credit. I don't think that price can be touched...

I have an extra HDMI port so that and the PS3 can co-exist, but wondering if there is any point to keeping the PS3?

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
So...Black Friday, 489 for a PS4, 2 controllers, Last of Us remastered (I think people here have said it is an amazing game), GTA V (13yr old boy, kinda the norm these days for teens) . Should I do it? It is on Shop.ca and I have a $40 PAYPAL credit. I don't think that price can be touched...

I have an extra HDMI port so that and the PS3 can co-exist, but wondering if there is any point to keeping the PS3?

PS3 is a better home theatre console since they removed DLNA support and local media support from the PS4

It's why I've had zero interest in moving on to the PS4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad