Sens Lounge LXXVI | The One Where we get back to Friends naming conventions

Status
Not open for further replies.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
That is subjective, and depends on where you were born

The where part is true, but otherwise it's not debatable.

People like to imagine that it would be fun to live in certain times in the past, but it would be worse. No questions asked. There was a cool article on this thought that people have about living in the past and they essentially proved how the novelty would wear off quick.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
The where part is true, but otherwise it's not debatable.

People like to imagine that it would be fun to live in certain times in the past, but it would be worse. No questions asked. There was a cool article on this thought that people have about living in the past and they essentially proved how the novelty would wear off quick.

When comes into play depending on where you live.

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
So I am probably going to fail school next year cause Destiny comes out on sept 9. The beta is ****ing amazing so far and that is just doing the story missions and some pvp, havn't even free roamed yet. Anyone feel like joining up tomorrow early afternoon for the devil's lair strike?

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
So I am probably going to fail school next year cause Destiny comes out on sept 9. The beta is ****ing amazing so far and that is just doing the story missions and some pvp, havn't even free roamed yet. Anyone feel like joining up tomorrow early afternoon for the devil's lair strike?

Destiny, FIFA and NHL within basically 2 weeks of each other. Thankfully September is pretty much a write-off for school (for me). It'll just be a month of gaming/partying and occasionally going to class.

:laugh:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The question wasn't directed at me but I've lived abroad for most of my life and am bored at work so I will give you my answer

I've had plenty of people think I'm American but never be jerks about it. Once they find out I'm Canadian they generally make a stupid joke like "I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to offend you because you guys are better" and such but that's about it

I'll go on the record and say that, in my travels, I've had much better experiences alongside Americans than Canadians: I must be unlucky but most of the Canadians I met overseas were complete dbags

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
Yeah thats weird - I would think people would be very intolerant of Amerikans and that overseas canadians would be nice. Must be luck of the draw :(

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
Can you imagine if China decided they were going to be the World Police? I wonder how the American government would feel about China deciding they didn't like something that the US was doing internally leading China to come over to try and establish their type of government.

If the US does something; it's patriotism.
If a foreign country does something; it's terrorism.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Can you imagine if China decided they were going to be the World Police? I wonder how the American government would feel about China deciding they didn't like something that the US was doing internally leading China to come over to try and establish their type of government.

Pretty much. The US has both invaded countries and shot down passenger plans.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa

What are you referring to here? Shooting down a civilian plane?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Yeah thats weird - I would think people would be very intolerant of Amerikans and that overseas canadians would be nice. Must be luck of the draw :(

I can't say this enough

75% of the Americans I've met abroad were outstanding human beings and everytime I deal with Americans through work they are much nicer than most Canadians (but that's because I have to deal with a ton of morons and work for the Government of Canada so I get a ton of "I pay your salary" nonsense)

It's anecdotal but most of the Canadians I meet abroad are drunken idiots who can't shutup

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
What are you referring to here? Shooting down a civilian plane?

Anything.

Look at any foreign act of "terrorism" in the last decade. You can probably find the United States doing a version of the some action in one way or another where no one batted an eye about it.

Most of my issues stem from the US's (and Canada to some degree) apparent policy that they need to be involved in any foreign altercations that do not concern them. And they are incredibly selective about them.

"North Korea is continuously threatening to send missiles overseas to bomb our cities? And we know they have the technology to do so? Well..."

*sees China giving the US a stern look*

"Umm... nevermind."

---

"Oh, how about Iran?"

*Russia pops out of the bushes and stares down the US*

"****."

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Anything.

Look at any foreign act of "terrorism" in the last decade. You can probably find the United States doing a version of the some action in one way or another where no one batted an eye about it.

Most of my issues stem from the US's (and Canada to some degree) apparent policy that they need to be involved in any foreign altercations that do not concern them. And they are incredibly selective about them.

"North Korea is continuously threatening to send missiles overseas to bomb our cities? And we know they have the technology to do so? Well..."

*sees China giving the US a stern look*

"Umm... nevermind."

---

"Oh, how about Iran?"

*Russia pops out of the bushes and stares down the US*

"****."

Yeah I don't see it as being that simple I guess..

I agree that the US are no saints when it comes to this stuff, but I don't really put them on the same level as terrorists.

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
Yeah I don't see it as being that simple I guess..

I agree that the US are no saints when it comes to this stuff, but I don't really put them on the same level as terrorists.

That's a pretty broad group.

I consider the US the biggest terrorists in the world. They're a super-machine powered by greed. People are kept in check because of media services like CNN.

There are certainly other countries that commit acts of terrorism, and we saw one happen yesterday. It just seems people are quick to forget the massive drone strikes that Obama ordered on innocent civilians not too long ago.

Can you imagine the backlash from the US if Russia or China or especially a smaller, less powerful country did something like this? It'd be the worst thing to ever happen. They'd be deemed international threats/terrorists and the US would invade them in the name of "patriotism" and "freedom".

It's bull****.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Countries beg the states to back them. It's not like they're just running around starting wars for fun. As for the North Korea comment, there is no way in hell they have the technology to bomb us from where they are.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
The question wasn't directed at me but I've lived abroad for most of my life and am bored at work so I will give you my answer

I've had plenty of people think I'm American but never be jerks about it. Once they find out I'm Canadian they generally make a stupid joke like "I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to offend you because you guys are better" and such but that's about it

I'll go on the record and say that, in my travels, I've had much better experiences alongside Americans than Canadians: I must be unlucky but most of the Canadians I met overseas were complete dbags

My uncle went on a trip to Ireland a few years ago. He walked into a little pub and immediately was told to "get the **** out." Confused, my uncle asks what was going on and the bartender tells him that they don't serve Americans there. My uncle showed him his passport and drank free the rest of the night...

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
Countries beg the states to back them. It's not like they're just running around starting wars for fun. As for the North Korea comment, there is no way in hell they have the technology to bomb us from where they are.

Iraq? Iran? Ukraine?

The US like to consider themselves a super power that aids other countries around the world. Meanwhile, they don't want get involved with the Ukraine situation because the threat of Russia.

But they'll gladly move in on a country like Iraq if it serves their best interests with little resistance.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Yeah i guess this isn't really the place to debate something like this. I'm not the greatest at getting points across on posts.

I just don't think we have the same definition as to what a terrorist is.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Iraq? Iran? Ukraine?

The US like to consider themselves a super power that aids other countries around the world. Meanwhile, they don't want get involved with the Ukraine situation because the threat of Russia.

But they'll gladly move in on a country like Iraq if it serves their best interests with little resistance.

Yeah i guess this isn't really the place to debate something like this. I'm not the greatest at getting points across on posts.

I just don't think we have the same definition as to what a terrorist is.

Ya I'm not having this conversation here but calling america the world's biggest terrorists is just dumb.

In other news, 100 top AIDS researchers were on the plane...

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
That's a pretty broad group.

I consider the US the biggest terrorists in the world. They're a super-machine powered by greed. People are kept in check because of media services like CNN.

There are certainly other countries that commit acts of terrorism, and we saw one happen yesterday. It just seems people are quick to forget the massive drone strikes that Obama ordered on innocent civilians not too long ago.

Can you imagine the backlash from the US if Russia or China or especially a smaller, less powerful country did something like this? It'd be the worst thing to ever happen. They'd be deemed international threats/terrorists and the US would invade them in the name of "patriotism" and "freedom".

It's bull****.

That would definitely be the reaction. Controlling the information goes a long way

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
My uncle went on a trip to Ireland a few years ago. He walked into a little pub and immediately was told to "get the **** out." Confused, my uncle asks what was going on and the bartender tells him that they don't serve Americans there. My uncle showed him his passport and drank free the rest of the night...

Don't get me started on the Irish

They are the absolute ****ing worst: the only thing they talk about is drinking

Iraq? Iran? Ukraine?

Governments change and that affects foreign policy. Look at us, our foreign "policy" (it isn't really a policy anymore, it's more of a joke) has completely changed from what it was under the Liberals

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I know it's difficult with the topic at hand but keep the politics in check.

I saw something about the AIDS researchers but haven't had a chance to read up on that

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I thought we were aloud to talk politics in here as long as it doesn't get hostile.

There have been plenty of political discussions in the Sens lounge and I don't remember any ever getting heated

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Saw a car yesterday that gave me major goosebumps: a 2014 Jaguar F-Type S, convertible. Black on black, gorgeous, athletic, wide and sleek...and it sounded absolutely nuts, like a Nascar. Gave me giggles.

Must have...ain't nothing like a good 'ol V8, no turbos, just 8 flower pots and a supercharger that stirs any motorhead's emotions.

Ahh, had to get that off my chest!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese