Sens Lounge LXXVI | The One Where we get back to Friends naming conventions

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Bonk - during your overseas time has anyone ever assumed you were Amerikan and mistreat you before learning you're Canadian?

Yep, more than once, but not so many times that it's a common thing. I can probably count the number of times it's happened on one hand. On maybe 2 occasions, I've got better prices on things because it was found out that I'm not American.

I can't say this enough

75% of the Americans I've met abroad were outstanding human beings and everytime I deal with Americans through work they are much nicer than most Canadians (but that's because I have to deal with a ton of morons and work for the Government of Canada so I get a ton of "I pay your salary" nonsense)

It's anecdotal but most of the Canadians I meet abroad are drunken idiots who can't shutup

Huh. Funny, I've found the opposite. Our best friends here in Indo are American (from Chicago), but I find I usually don't fit in well with the Americans here in Indonesia... I usually find that I gravitate towards Brits, Kiwis & Dutch expats. I can't comment on the Canadians here though... there are too few of us here to really get a good sample size.

Of course, that might have to do more with where I am (Southeast Asia) than anything else. Many of the Americans here are kind of weird Stepford families.

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
Ya I'm not having this conversation here but calling america the world's biggest terrorists is just dumb.

Fair enough. Agree to disagree.

I don't care for how the US conducts themselves globally and I think they are huge hypocrites who are controlled by greed while brainwashing their citizens, but it is what it is.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Yep, more than once, but not so many times that it's a common thing. I can probably count the number of times it's happened on one hand. On maybe 2 occasions, I've got better prices on things because it was found out that I'm not American.

Huh. Funny, I've found the opposite. Our best friends here in Indo are American (from Chicago), but I find I usually don't fit in well with the Americans here in Indonesia... I usually find that I gravitate towards Brits, Kiwis & Dutch expats. I can't comment on the Canadians here though... there are too few of us here to really get a good sample size.

Of course, that might have to do more with where I am (Southeast Asia) than anything else. Many of the Americans here are kind of weird Stepford families.

Brits and Kiwis are the best for sure! Especially the Kiwis!

The Dutch are a special bunch, I lived in the Netherlands from 1998 to 2002 so I have a love/hate relationship with them: generally speaking I find they are Germans with a very big ego and not as funny.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Fair enough. Agree to disagree.

I don't care for how the US conducts themselves globally and I think they are huge hypocrites who are controlled by greed while brainwashing their citizens, but it is what it is.

The US is nowhere near the worst for brainwashing their citizens, and basically every nation on earth is controlled by greed.

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
The US is nowhere near the worst for brainwashing their citizens, and basically every nation on earth is controlled by greed.

We could go through a world ranking list acting as if we're grading our team's prospects if we wanted to.

Sure, a country like North Korea controls and brainwashes their people like no other, but I will stand by my opinion that the United States has their people wrapped around their thumb with the use of mass media.

Greed is universal, but the US have acted on their greed far more than most.

We'll wrap it up though. I'm actually pretty shocked that I'm alone in this way of thinking.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
We could go through a world ranking list acting as if we're grading our team's prospects if we wanted to.

Sure, a country like North Korea controls and brainwashes their people like no other, but I will stand by my opinion that the United States has their people wrapped around their thumb with the use of mass media.

We'll wrap it up though. I'm actually pretty shocked that I'm alone in this way of thinking.

I agree with you

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa

I just don't see the US as the "bad guys". Sure they are motivated by other things than just pure kindness, but who isn't?

And I'm not even talking North Korea. A lot of Europe is worse than the US, all of Africa, most of Asia are all worse for brainwashing or censorship than the US.

When you travel the world, you quickly realize North America, with all it's problems, is still one of, if not, the best place to live.

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
I just don't see the US as the "bad guys". Sure they are motivated by other things than just pure kindness, but who isn't?

And I'm not even talking North Korea. A lot of Europe is worse than the US, all of Africa, most of Asia are all worse for brainwashing or censorship than the US.

When you travel the world, you quickly realize North America, with all it's problems, is still one of, if not, the best place to live.

I'm not arguing the quality of living. Heck, there's a pretty good chance that I'm going to end up moving to the US and becoming a US citizen in the near future. I think the American people, for the most part, are not much different than Canadians in the grand scheme of things.

It's just government and foreign policy choices I take issue with.

But anyways, who else is going to the REDBLACKS' home opener tonight?

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
I'm not arguing the quality of living. Heck, there's a pretty good chance that I'm going to end up moving to the US and becoming a US citizen in the near future. I think the American people, for the most part, are not much different than Canadians in the grand scheme of things.

It's just government and foreign policy choices I take issue with.

But anyways, who else is going to the REDBLACKS' home opener tonight?

Alright, I'll stop.. :laugh:

Yes I will be there! CAN'T WAIT! T - 6 hours.. :yo:

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
I actually scored my tickets off this sucker. He was all like...

"Hey Silf! Want these tickets for free?"

and I'm like:

"Woah! Sure!"

but I'm really thinking:

"Who is this Silf schmuck?"

I think the dude's name was like Marvel Monkey or something.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

It's not that they are "bad guys" but they are experts, or so they think, of masquerading a human rights mission as an outright economic acquisition or conclusion. If it ain't gonna make make money, they usually aren't interested on an extreme general, unfair level, I suppose.

I like Americans. They are fun to be around and I like visiting by and large.

Look at our own province, they were able to hoodwink voters around the bad conservatives while wasting billions and watching our ever decreasing credit level cause more financial heartache for Ontarians.

Ultimately people are always looking what's in it for them regardless of where you live on this planet.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Hell yeah! I can't wait any longer. :yo:

Did you drop by the stadium during open house?

I'll be taking the shuttle...very apprehensive about it but I will give it a try, from Canada Post. Going to take it early around 4pm or so, plan for delays and be there in time to have a bite and watch one of my favourite Canadian bands - The Trews - and just soak it in.

I was such a huge Rider fan, even when both franchises existed, Sens and Riders/Renegades, was probably a bigger football fan.

Now I get to share it with my son, the way I went with my dad...remember my first game back in 1980 against Calgary. Watching no. 77 make a over the shoulder grap, completely stretched out, fell in the mud around the five untouched, got up and somersaulted into the endzone for the TD.:yo:

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
Kind of surprised by the responses - was expecting an all-out assualt of slurs and insults, especially wirh recent events like Manning and Snowden. I appreciate all the input, and I think I can conclude that the general philosophy is the golden rule.

It seems when I go up north there are a lot of people staring at me and usually very unhappy w/ my NY plates in the parking lot. I completely understand if people in other countries treat you differently until they know your true origin. I feel bad about that and its just one of the scars we have to bear because of the decisions of our "democratically elected" officials. In any event I try to be nice and not start any problems.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
As a Canadian living in the US, I get asked all the time what makes us different, I usually just tell them our food and candy is better. They still can't wrap their heads around "Canadian bacon".

Loved that movie. John Candy was a legend.

Funny though, my family has always called it peameal bacon. Never figured out where the Canadian bacon label came from.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
Loved that movie. John Candy was a legend.

Funny though, my family has always called it peameal bacon. Never figured out where the Canadian bacon label came from.

One of my favourite parts:

"Canadians are always dreaming up a lotta ways to ruin our lives. The metric system, for the love of God! Celsius! Neil Young!"

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Did anyone see me.

I believe I was single handedly responsible for tonight's win due to the fact that I was responsible for keeping Mahers kicking net intact after it broke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille