Sens Lounge LXXVI | The One Where we get back to Friends naming conventions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
This is going to sound harsh, but you sound like the worst kind of person.

I don't know why you care so much about what OTHER people do. People with similar "control what others can do" are the entire reason that gay people can't marry, etc. It doesn't affect them AT ALL, but for some reason they need to have their input.

My favourite people are like FQL just said. That's who I try to be. If you want to smoke a cigarette, cool. I think cigarettes are gross, but does it affect me? If they're smoking next to me, yes. Okay, this is a good place for a rule/law. However if that person is in a backyard with 4 friends that are all adults and all wish to smoke, are they harming anyone other than themselves? No. Then let them do what they want.

"I don't like pop, it's garbage, so because I'm not a fan of it, no one else should be able to use it"

Im only like that about drugs and i dont care a ton. Ill never understand the logic behind using them.

"I don't like pop because its unhealthy and a waste to drink, so naturally it makes sense to think no one else should drink it"

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
So many reasons to legalize marijuana.

1) taxable.
2) the majority of war on drugs cost is marijuana. Add the taxes, subtract the expenses and its a huggggee plus.
3)freedom. If it doesn't harm others, who cares?
4)safety. Rules and regulation on the production means you're getting what is advertised. No spraying or lacing.
5)gateway BS: the only reason people called it a gateway is because you had to go to your dealer to buy weed. Your dealer would then maybe have or get other drugs and would continuously offer and make sales pitches on the other drugs causing you to maybe try it some day. With regulation you go to the corner store/beer store type set up, get id'd buy your weed, and never come into contact with other drugs. The possibility of moving on to other harder drugs is gone.
6) harder accessibility. Its way easier for a high schooler to get weed than it is alcohol because of the fact it's not regulated and sold by the government. Dealers don't ask for ID.

You're neglecting the downsides of memory loss, paranoia, increased anxiety and schizophrenia that have been associated with chronic use. And chronic use would be more prevalent if it was legalized/readily available.

Considering what cigarettes are laced with, I don't see a complete increase in safety. Additionally, there are plenty of other dangers still associated with smoking anything.

The 'it doesn't harm others' argument is a slippery one. There's plenty of arguments to be made which can be applied to any other substance

Also legalization would not limit exposure to other drugs, kids would be still getting their party drugs of choice be it e, mdma or whatever the current designer drug is. Unless we're supposed to be legalizing those too? And if we're going down that route, let's just open government dealerships and offer heroin and cocaine. I mean, the only argument remaining is the money one... so why not just make it all taxable and save the money on fighting the war against these things? Plus we can make sure all these are pure again.

Admittedly marijuana is the most harmless of the bunch but I think our current laws support just a fine for possession now do they not? No jail time anymore? So that's really where it should be at.

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
How do you define "within reason" though

That's always the killer: realizing that the problem with common sense is that it isn't common

Because not every situation can be looked at within a vacuum. Each individual situation needs to be considered as it's own beast with it's own benefits and drawbacks. It's like anything else.

The ideology is simply that: an ideology.

I drink pop beverages (a lot).
I drink alcohol (quite a bit).
I do not take recreational drugs (regularly).

While I don't condone the use of some things, I just feel that a person should be able to make their own decisions. If the situation does not directly harm another individual then it's fine in my eyes.

If you want to sit on your couch and sniff Elmer's glue while hooking yourself up with an IV of Mellow Yellow, go right ahead.

EDIT: Oh Lord. A passenger plane was shot down over Ukraine as per the Associated Press.

Last edited:

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
You're neglecting the downsides of memory loss, paranoia, increased anxiety and schizophrenia that have been associated with chronic use. And chronic use would be more prevalent if it was legalized/readily available.

Most of those are still contested. Many agree that marijuana only has a negative affect on the brain if it is heavily used before the brain reaches maturity. I can tell you right now it is a lot easier for teens to get weed than it is to get alcohol (dealers don't ID), so if anything, these "downsides" are arguments FOR legalization.

It's also often prescribed to treat anxiety.

Harvard: Marijuana doesn't cause schizophrenia

Also legalization would not limit exposure to other drugs, kids would be still getting their party drugs of choice be it e, mdma or whatever the current designer drug is. Unless we're supposed to be legalizing those too? And if we're going down that route, let's just open government dealerships and offer heroin and cocaine. I mean, the only argument remaining is the money one... so why not just make it all taxable and save the money on fighting the war against these things? Plus we can make sure all these are pure again.

Woman dies at Ottawa rave: 2nd Woman in Coma

Police believe the drugs were bought in Ottawa, but the investigation continues.

How widespread a “bad batch” may have been, or whether the pills may have been laced with something that ramped up their potency is unknown right no
If this was legal and regulated, this woman would still be alive as well as thousands of others.

Admittedly marijuana is the most harmless of the bunch but I think our current laws support just a fine for possession now do they not? No jail time anymore? So that's really where it should be at.

So we should continue to allow drug dealers to profit off the drug, while we spend billions of dollars chasing them, instead of just legalizing and raking in the dough like Colorado? Decriminalization is the stupidest way to go.

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
It sounds like it was the Ukraine separatists.

Things are going to get really bad if Russia steps in here.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
It sounds like it was the Ukraine separatists.

Things are going to get really bad if Russia steps in here.

So... Russian soldiers out of uniform / people with connections to Russia?

Plane was shot down with some serious, heavy-duty SAM arsenal. "Rebels/ Separtists" don't get their hands on stuff like that unless they're being funded/ have connections.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
@hdevreij
Commercial airliners now take evasive action to avoid eastern Ukrainian airspace. Example: Flight TG921 Thai Airways pic.twitter.com/W8QHBL89vi

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
So... Russian soldiers out of uniform / people with connections to Russia?

Plane was shot down with some serious, heavy-duty SAM arsenal. "Rebels/ Separtists" don't get their hands on stuff like that unless they're being funded/ have connections.

Pretty much.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I don't think all separatists are Russian military

Things have been on-going for long enough that genuine separatist paramilitary groups exist now

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
If I'm reading things right, they claimed to have shot down an AN-26 at about the time the 777 was shot down.
They haven't actually claimed to have shot down the passenger plane yet.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The chances of the rebels getting their hands on surface to air missiles capable of hitting planes at higher altitudes through the black market are rather unlikely if not non-existent

Russia is going to get implicated in this because it certainly provided the weapons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad