Sens Lounge LXXVI | The One Where we get back to Friends naming conventions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I'm asking for a reason. You already stated your stance, I'm just interested on why you have your beliefs.
Isn't it wrong to mass sell something thats harmful? Companies and governments profiting off of people damaging themselves. I see them no different then cigarettes.

Personally, Ill never understand why people would want beer or weed. The negative out weighs the positive. Its common sense to not have them. Its like downloading one of those emoticon/smilies toolbars while knowing your getting malware.

Basically selfish reasons.

Also it annoys me how the governments put laws on types of fats allowed in foods because its not healthy but something like cigarettes is perfectly OK.
If history has proved anything, it's that government prohibition on things just doesn't work.

It's a stupid belief, sorry. You're entitled to your opinion, but your opinion is stupid.
Yeah. I realize that.
Addictions are bad, but clearly the current model of regulating drugs is the worst possible approach to it. (Well... 2nd worst, I guess. Indonesia's "Drugs = Death Penalty" approach is probably the worst.)

People in Canada that want drugs are still getting them, and all the criminalization is doing is allowing the profits of drug sales to go to criminal organizations, instead of law-abiding organizations who could then create taxable income rather than untraceable cash transaction.

This is the only reason to have it legal. imo.

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Let's move from one vice to another - I find this particularly hilarious:

@IvisonJ
There is, apparently, a list being compiled by Ottawa prostitutes of all the MPs, particularly Tory MPs, who regularly use their services.

The fact that there are enough names to even allow the existence of a list is mind-boggling, considering the gov's stance on prostitution.

'Buncha hypocrites.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Isn't it wrong to mass sell something thats harmful? Companies and governments profiting off of people damaging themselves. I see them no different then cigarettes.

Personally, Ill never understand why people would want beer or weed. The negative out weighs the positive. Its common sense to not have them. Its like downloading one of those emoticon/smilies toolbars while knowing your getting malware.

Basically selfish reasons.

Yeah. I realize that.

This is the only reason to have it legal. imo.

It would be wrong to sell things that are harmful and advertise it as not, or beneficial in a way it's not.

I personally think people should have free will and make choices for themselves. If you want to smoke a joint, sit on your couch and watch Beevis in Butthead all night, I don't have a problem with that. No one's being harmed. That person may have done some damage to their lungs and they're probably fully aware of that. Other people like to go to the beach and sunbath and do damage to their skin, and I don't have a problem with that either.

Did you say that beer is harmful? Beer is really no more harmful than any soft drinks , high sugar drinks or diet drinks with aspartame. Are you for banning those substances?

Why would someone want these things? Because they enjoy them. You enjoy professional hockey, professional hockey is terrible for one's health. Essentially every contact sport is with the amount of life changing injuries and concussions.

You think people should have drugs if they need them for medical reasons. What is your opinion on depression? Many people do drugs with depression who can't afford to be labeled mentally ill in their careers like in the military as they'll lose their jobs.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
It would be wrong to sell things that are harmful and advertise it as not, or beneficial in a way it's not.

I personally think people should have free will and make choices for themselves. If you want to smoke a joint, sit on your couch and watch Beevis in Butthead all night, I don't have a problem with that. No one's being harmed. That person may have done some damage to their lungs and they're probably fully aware of that. Other people like to go to the beach and sunbath and do damage to their skin, and I don't have a problem with that either.

Did you say that beer is harmful? Beer is really no more harmful than any soft drinks , high sugar drinks or diet drinks with aspartame. Are you for banning those substances?

Why would someone want these things? Because they enjoy them. You enjoy professional hockey, professional hockey is terrible for one's health. Essentially every contact sport is with the amount of life changing injuries and concussions.

You think people should have drugs if they need them for medical reasons. What is your opinion on depression? Many people do drugs with depression who can't afford to be labeled mentally ill in their careers like in the military as they'll lose their jobs.

Depression counts as medical reasons. For sure. Expect for beer. Thats a depressant. :P

Im all for banning pop. Doesnt bother me. I haven't touched that garbage in years.

I understand your reasons. Cant really argue them. Only thing I can say is, the majority of people ive known that use either aren't educated about them.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Depression counts as medical reasons. For sure. Expect for beer. Thats a depressant. :P

Im all for banning pop. Doesnt bother me. I haven't touched that garbage in years.

I understand your reasons. Cant really argue them. Only thing I can say is, the majority of people ive known that use either aren't educated about them.

Why do you care what other people do? You don't want to drink pop, don't drink it. Let people do what they want if they're not hurting anyone else.

I've known a lot of people that use all kinds of drugs, and almost every single one knew what the negative health effects were.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Why do you care what other people do? You don't want to drink pop, don't drink it. Let people do what they want if they're not hurting anyone else.

I've known a lot of people that use all kinds of drugs, and almost every single one knew what the negative health effects were.

Well I would never actually go out of my way of stopping people. It just annoys me. I hate watching people drink pop.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
Question for y'all. I have to be in Gatineau tomorrow for 9:00a.m. for something, and I live down in Kingston. I plan on leaving at 5:00a.m. at the latest (to ensure I have plenty of time with an traffic I might encounter on the 417).

Do you think that is sufficient time to get there? Or is traffic worse than I'm anticipating? I have no issue with getting there an hour early or whatever, as I can find something to do to kill time, I just want to know if I'm leaving myself enough time to get there with the morning rush hour traffic.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The way I see it, people should be free to do whatever they want (which doesn't hurt others or stomp on others freedoms)......as long they - and they alone - pay all the costs associated with doing whatever they want.

Want to climb a mountain? Go ahead...but if you get stuck, you're getting the $100k rescue bill to save your butt.

Want to smoke? Go ahead...but pay for all the cancer treatments, drugs and lost time at work yourself. No taxpayers' monies. etc, etc, etc

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
So I wake up today to find out that one of my buddies from middle school from when I lived Belgium played lottery for the first time ever in his life a few days ago

He won 67.9 million Euros

A millionaire at 30

Wow!

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
So many reasons to legalize marijuana.

1) taxable.
2) the majority of war on drugs cost is marijuana. Add the taxes, subtract the expenses and its a huggggee plus.
3)freedom. If it doesn't harm others, who cares?
4)safety. Rules and regulation on the production means you're getting what is advertised. No spraying or lacing.
5)gateway BS: the only reason people called it a gateway is because you had to go to your dealer to buy weed. Your dealer would then maybe have or get other drugs and would continuously offer and make sales pitches on the other drugs causing you to maybe try it some day. With regulation you go to the corner store/beer store type set up, get id'd buy your weed, and never come into contact with other drugs. The possibility of moving on to other harder drugs is gone.
6) harder accessibility. Its way easier for a high schooler to get weed than it is alcohol because of the fact it's not regulated and sold by the government. Dealers don't ask for ID.

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
Question for y'all. I have to be in Gatineau tomorrow for 9:00a.m. for something, and I live down in Kingston. I plan on leaving at 5:00a.m. at the latest (to ensure I have plenty of time with an traffic I might encounter on the 417).

Do you think that is sufficient time to get there? Or is traffic worse than I'm anticipating? I have no issue with getting there an hour early or whatever, as I can find something to do to kill time, I just want to know if I'm leaving myself enough time to get there with the morning rush hour traffic.

I suppose traffic could vary, but 4 hours sounds like plenty of time. I would suspect that you will be there with time to spare, sir.

So I wake up today to find out that one of my buddies from middle school from when I lived Belgium played lottery for the first time ever in his life a few days ago

He won 67.9 million Euros

A millionaire at 30

Wow!

67.9 million Euros --> Just shy of $100 million CAD.

That's a ridiculous amount of money.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB

This is going to sound harsh, but you sound like the worst kind of person.

I don't know why you care so much about what OTHER people do. People with similar "control what others can do" are the entire reason that gay people can't marry, etc. It doesn't affect them AT ALL, but for some reason they need to have their input.

My favourite people are like FQL just said. That's who I try to be. If you want to smoke a cigarette, cool. I think cigarettes are gross, but does it affect me? If they're smoking next to me, yes. Okay, this is a good place for a rule/law. However if that person is in a backyard with 4 friends that are all adults and all wish to smoke, are they harming anyone other than themselves? No. Then let them do what they want.

"I don't like pop, it's garbage, so because I'm not a fan of it, no one else should be able to use it"

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I'm already completely for legalization of marijuana. In fact to me it's such a no brainer I can't believe it hasn't been done yet. I think it will make a lot of money on taxation, but I think it will be a jaw dropping amount of savings from police forces, especially in the US. When people figure out HOW MUCH of our precious taxpayer dollars are spent on arresting 21 year olds with a joint (again speaking more about the US), it will enrage anyone who claims to be "fiscally responsible" (looking at you Conservatives/Republicans)

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'm already completely for legalization of marijuana. In fact to me it's such a no brainer I can't believe it hasn't been done yet. I think it will make a lot of money on taxation, but I think it will be a jaw dropping amount of savings from police forces, especially in the US. When people figure out HOW MUCH of our precious taxpayer dollars are spent on arresting 21 year olds with a joint (again speaking more about the US), it will enrage anyone who claims to be "fiscally responsible" (looking at you Conservatives/Republicans)

Definitely. Put it on the same level as cigs and alcohol, and watch the tax money roll in.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
Just to be play devil's advocate for a second:

People who guzzle pop and/or smoke a pack a day generally become a burden to society later on in life. Who covers their medical costs? Everyone!

There is a legitimate reason for wanting to ban these substances that goes beyond wanting to control what others do.

That being said... I don't wish to control what people do, and I don't actually think we should ban things that slowly kill people. You are free to live your own life as you please, for the most part. I put a pound of sugar in each cup of coffee.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

People who guzzle pop and/or smoke a pack a day generally become a burden to society later on in life. Who covers their medical costs? Everyone!

There is a legitimate reason for wanting to ban these substances that goes beyond wanting to control what others do.

That being said... I don't wish to control what people do, and I don't actually think we should ban things that slowly kill people. You are free to live your own life as you please, for the most part. I put a pound of sugar in each cup of coffee.

That's another reason to legalize weed in comparison to cigarettes and alcohol because it's a lot healthier. Heck, people have died from eating too much McDonalds, no ones ever died from smoking too much weed. It even helps fight the growth and helps prevent cancer.

Here's for anyone who's interested on how THC helps against cancer. Harvard has published their study as well as other medical institutions.

http://www.whydontyoutrythis.com/20...annabis-can-cure-cancer.html?m=1#.U8fdtMvD8m8

Which is why I laugh and leave any argument when people say you'll get lung cancer if you smoke weed. Weed fights cancer. It does not give you cancer.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

That's pretty much why I say, do what you want, as long as you pay for the consequences yourself.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
That's pretty much why I say, do what you want, as long as you pay for the consequences yourself.

Problem is it will never be like that. So many injuries or illnesses someone could say "well I would have done things differently which would have minimized the risk therefore I don't want my tax money going to help you"

Its no different then:

1) a guy goes mountain biking in the woods and is paralyzed. "I wouldn't do that because its dangerous therefore he shouldn't get aid from the government which originally comes from my salary."
2) buddy works in a mine and has respiratory problems after retirement. "Well I got an education and got a job in an office. He should have done that. I don't want the government taking my money to help him"
3) buddy gets a brain injury in a car accident driving a tiny car. "If he was in a bigger,heavier,safer car he walks without a scratch. Its his fault for not being as safe as possible. I don't want to have my taxes help him"

Where do you draw the line? Where does freedom of choice and humanity come into play?

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014

This could be said about the over-consumption of almost anything.

I'm under the idea that people should be able to do whatever they want so long as it does not harm another person, within reason.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
How do you define "within reason" though

That's always the killer: realizing that the problem with common sense is that it isn't common

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Problem is it will never be like that. So many injuries or illnesses someone could say "well I would have done things differently which would have minimized the risk therefore I don't want my tax money going to help you"

Its no different then:

1) a guy goes mountain biking in the woods and is paralyzed. "I wouldn't do that because its dangerous therefore he shouldn't get aid from the government which originally comes from my salary."
2) buddy works in a mine and has respiratory problems after retirement. "Well I got an education and got a job in an office. He should have done that. I don't want the government taking my money to help him"
3) buddy gets a brain injury in a car accident driving a tiny car. "If he was in a bigger,heavier,safer car he walks without a scratch. Its his fault for not being as safe as possible. I don't want to have my taxes help him"

Where do you draw the line? Where does freedom of choice and humanity come into play?

It's all about balance.

Someone getting into a car accident after a split-second wrong decision is a helluva lot different than someone spending years living a lifestyle where they end up morbidly obese, or drank their liver into oblivion, or specifically chose to make an obviously stupid choice (say, going mountain biking on an expert trail as a novice, skiing down a mountain that is classified off-limits due to hazards, stunt driving, etc).

Sure, there will always be areas that get very close to the line, and there will always be times where the line itself is blurred.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
It's all about balance.

Someone getting into a car accident after a split-second wrong decision is a helluva lot different than someone spending years living a lifestyle where they end up morbidly obese, or drank their liver into oblivion, or specifically chose to make an obviously stupid choice (say, going mountain biking on an expert trail as a novice, skiing down a mountain that is classified off-limits due to hazards, stunt driving, etc).

Sure, there will always be areas that get very close to the line, and there will always be times where the line itself is blurred.

That's what I'm saying. It will always be too hard to set a line on who deserves others help, and who doesn't, so the easiest thing is to either help all or not help anyone. Having grey areas would cause way too many court battles.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
The taxes cigarette smokers pay to the governed probably far outweigh the costs to treat their health issues down the road.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
The way I see it, people should be free to do whatever they want (which doesn't hurt others or stomp on others freedoms)......as long they - and they alone - pay all the costs associated with doing whatever they want.

Want to climb a mountain? Go ahead...but if you get stuck, you're getting the $100k rescue bill to save your butt.

Want to smoke? Go ahead...but pay for all the cancer treatments, drugs and lost time at work yourself. No taxpayers' monies. etc, etc, etc

That is a slippery slope. Same can be said for people who dont exercise regularly, or dont eat properly or who participate in dangerous sports.

BTW, we do pay for these costs through taxes and employee benefits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad