OT: Sens Lounge - Golf season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Anyone here build, race or are generally into cars at the hands on level?

I currently have a few projects going on (in various states):

1972 BMW 2002 (e10) widebody with Honda S2000 engine, future drift / hill climb car

2009 Subaru STi hatch widebody, lightly modified daily driver

Toyota 2JZ engine, stripped down and will be rebuilt with stroker kit

2009 Subaru Sti hatch, fully stripped and caged, future GT racer with built EJ22 long block, PPG Sequetial transmission, Motec ECU, bypass antilag, big turbo, dry sump oiling... Car is just about prep'd and engine ready to be dropped in. Hope to be track ready in 2024. Targeting Global Time Attack and GT racing.

The last one is the primary focus with the BMW being a project that I might never finish. The 2JZ engine I'll just have on the shelf for a future project, ideally a muscle car restomod.

I always wanted to build cars and race but never did so in the last 5 years I've tried to make up for lost time but with family and no real shop things are very slow going...

that sounds like some sweet projects! you definitely need to partner up with some folks to get those built. :)

It's a lot of time and even more money... I have a friend who is a time attack champion, he has a shop and a partnership for the engineering side. He did it with a family, but your weekends are gone in the summer, for sure.

Best of luck and don't give up the dream!

Reactions: PlayersLtd

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
that sounds like some sweet projects! you definitely need to partner up with some folks to get those built. :)

It's a lot of time and even more money... I have a friend who is a time attack champion, he has a shop and a partnership for the engineering side. He did it with a family, but your weekends are gone in the summer, for sure.

Best of luck and don't give up the dream!
Haha, thanks!

Yeah, I have a friend who took the E10 in free of charge and is tinkering with that which is sweet.

As for the Subaru racer I'm just getting it stripped and I'll do all the body prep etc myself and drop the engine in before passing most of the rest of it off for reassembly. There are several things that are beyond me and considering the quality of the build I think my skills will reach their limit pretty quick. I will need to team up with an engineer for sure, I have my tuner figured out. Because of the anti lag I have to tap into the rally scene out this way for tuning which actually gives me tons of comfort, tuning anti lag to them is nothing whereas if I didn't have professional teams nearby I'd be taking on a lot of risk.

I'll be a privateer for the first bit and maybe once I settle in to a home track ill partner up with a shop that can offer more support.

I'm diving in headfirst and just saying F*&k it. Once I wind things down and get on the semi retirement path I know I want racing to be a big part of my summers and building this car is the first step. Cheaper than Porsche Cup anyway... Hopefully I don't regret it and I actually get there.

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

1972 BMW 2002 (e10) widebody with Honda S2000 engine, future drift / hill climb car

2009 Subaru Sti hatch, fully stripped and caged, future GT racer with built EJ22 long block, PPG Sequetial transmission, Motec ECU, bypass antilag, big turbo, dry sump oiling... Car is just about prep'd and engine ready to be dropped in. Hope to be track ready in 2024. Targeting Global Time Attack and GT racing.

The last one is the primary focus with the BMW being a project that I might never finish. The 2JZ engine I'll just have on the shelf for a future project, ideally a muscle car restomod.

I always wanted to build cars and race but never did so in the last 5 years I've tried to make up for lost time but with family and no real shop things are very slow going...
The odd autocross, and before , the odd motocross race.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley

I do my own mechanics on my vehicles, minus wheel balancing and anything a/c related. I have a 2009 Touareg TDI and 2002 S8 to keep me quite busy there... Nothing huge so far, but did the timing belt and associated components on the S8, will need to do the timing chain tensioners this winter.

I haven't been into the tuning scene since I parted out my 1992 Talon TSi AWD, but that was a lot of fun - I had tuning software that could set anti-lag at whichever RPM you choose. Couple that with a short wastegate dump and it was obnoxiously loud and could spin all tires on a launch. :)

Reactions: coladin

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
I do my own mechanics on my vehicles, minus wheel balancing and anything a/c related. I have a 2009 Touareg TDI and 2002 S8 to keep me quite busy there... Nothing huge so far, but did the timing belt and associated components on the S8, will need to do the timing chain tensioners this winter.

I haven't been into the tuning scene since I parted out my 1992 Talon TSi AWD, but that was a lot of fun - I had tuning software that could set anti-lag at whichever RPM you choose. Couple that with a short wastegate dump and it was obnoxiously loud and could spin all tires on a launch. :)
I've got stickies on my daily STi which has headers, big injectors and a good tune but with the AWD I have a hell of a time breaking it loose off a launch. Its really hard committing to dumping the carbon clutch so it could have something to do with that...

Reactions: StoicSensFan

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
I've got stickies on my daily STi which has headers, big injectors and a good tune but with the AWD I have a hell of a time breaking it loose off a launch. Its really hard committing to dumping the carbon clutch so it could have something to do with that...
I used to engage the e brake and load up the rear axles then disengage it while I dumped the clutch to protect the driveshaft from snapping, guess I didn't care about my clutch much. If it was carbon and expensive I probably would have been nicer to it.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
I used to engage the e brake and load up the rear axles then disengage it while I dumped the clutch to protect the driveshaft from snapping, guess I didn't care about my clutch much. If it was carbon and expensive I probably would have been nicer to it.
Opposite. The Exedy twin disc carbon clutch I have is pretty stout. It's that the engagement point is so sensitive I still sometimes have trouble getting a clean launch.

I just need to drive it harder but I don't want to be that guy on the streets and if I'm lapping at the track I'm not launching at all so I really don't get any practice.

Reactions: StoicSensFan

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
Opposite. The Exedy twin disc carbon clutch I have is pretty stout. It's that the engagement point is so sensitive I still sometimes have trouble getting a clean launch.

I just need to drive it harder but I don't want to be that guy on the streets and if I'm lapping at the track I'm not launching at all so I really don't get any practice.
Lots of paved backroads in Ottawa/Gatineau that I went to, don't know if you have that option where you are. ;)

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I usually scour reddit for local subreddits on what they recommend - literally google 'what to do in barcelona reddit' and see what threads pop up.

Sagrada Familia is incredible. It is predictably a tourist hotspot but 100% worth braving the crowds.

That's what immediately came to mind. Are you going to rent a car, @bicboi64 ? If so, there are lots of other places in the area worth visiting as well!

If you want to see a lot of the city those hop on- hop off buses are great & affordable to see the city & then get to go where you want afterwards or get off anywhere that seems interesting. Barcelona is a great city, the Gothic area is nice, lots of restaurants, good food, watch out for pick pockets, keep your money & important stuff in your front pockets. Enjoy.

Thanks for all the advice everyone, going to bookmark this and keep this in mind the next time I plan a trip there. Everything fell a part because my partner and I waited too long to get tickets. We found a deal with $600 round trip to barcelona ($320 each). Its our first time booking an international vacation (only ever done ontario trips before), and we were naive enough to assume they'd be available the next day. We had a whole itinerary plannef for $1200 for 6 night 7 days. Round trips are now like $1100+ and the only week we can go is June 25th-30th (we can't get time off work at the same time any other week until winter).

Next time we try to plan, we're going to just get the tickets the minute we see a too good to be true deal like that and might just try doing an all inclusive in Cuba/Dominican or do a small NYC trip

• Wow
Reactions: DrEasy

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
All this meat talk is making me hungry.

That said, I would really like to be able to eat the grass clippings when I mow my lawn. Free greens. And think how much better life would be if we all just walked around on free food under our feet everywhere? The calories are right there waiting for us, our lame evolution just doesn't let us get them.

Somebody invent me a clean, cheap mechanical digester that can break down cellulose but isn't a cow. A cow's stomach can digest this stuff, so build me a simple machine based on their stomachs that can too. No more of this sun -> grass-> cow -> me. Time to cut out the middle man...er, cow.

Build that machine and you may have just ended world hunger.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

That said, I would really like to be able to eat the grass clippings when I mow my lawn. Free greens. And think how much better life would be if we all just walked around on free food under our feet everywhere? The calories are right there waiting for us, our lame evolution just doesn't let us get them.

Somebody invent me a clean, cheap mechanical digester that can break down cellulose but isn't a cow. A cow's stomach can digest this stuff, so build me a simple machine based on their stomachs that can too. No more of this sun -> grass-> cow -> me. Time to cut out the middle man...er, cow.

Look up food forests. You can create a densely packed areas full of food, if you plan it right.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

Swap your grass for a well-planned garden. If you're going to do maintenance anyway, may as well be of something you can eat at the end of the day.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008

600 hrs in iRacing here. Dozens of wins. I'm your driver @PlayersLtd

Convert the STi to RWD!

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
That said, I would really like to be able to eat the grass clippings when I mow my lawn. Free greens. And think how much better life would be if we all just walked around on free food under our feet everywhere?
Speaking of lawns, I'm making raised flower bads in my backyard. My family loves gardening, been doing it in India for herbs and veggies for sustenance, but over here they've wasted backyard space on ornaments and the occasional mint for chutney and tomatoes. I did the math and am building loads of flowerbeds to grow produce, mainly leafy greens. Kale is easy to grow and with the cost of greens, the kale and lettuce alone will pay for the lumber.

Reactions: Que

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Swap your grass for a well-planned garden. If you're going to do maintenance anyway, may as well be of something you can eat at the end of the day.
I wasn't really suggesting that I want a garden.

I want a machine that replicates a cow's stomach and makes all of the inedible cellulose heavy plants edible to humans.

A device that could potentially end world hunger, since it would vastly increase the food supply by allowing humans to get our energy requirements from raked tree leaves, grass clippings, sawdust, hay, ferns, etc. The stuff that grows everywhere without any need for farming. The stuff that I put into huge brown bags for the city to haul away.

In theory, that stuff we throw away is all huge quantities of food. We just can't digest it, so we don't see it like that. Instead we're limited to a small subset of the world's plants that can be directly processed by our human stomachs. Doesn't have to be that way. And those edible plants generally consume a ton of energy, water and human labour to be cultivated.

So I'm suggesting the world needs a device that can transform those waste products into edible food. Cow stomachs are nature's version of that device. And since they already exists in nature, we know it's possible to build one that uses less energy than it produces.

And then one day we'll figure out another device that can efficiently replicate photosynthesis and we'll cut out the grass as a middleman too.

Since that's all food is....just a means of converting solar energy and some basic raw materials into the chemical energy our bodies run on.

But it's an insanely inefficient way to do it when you have to go from sun to grass to a cow to a truck to a processing facility to a steak to a truck to a supermarket to my car to my stove to my mouth.

One day we'll just be able to mix sun and some raw materials together in a machine and get directly consumable food energy out the other end.

That may sound like science fiction but there's really no reason to believe it's not possible.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018

Just eat the bugs on your lawn if you’re looking for free food.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I wasn't really suggesting that I want a garden.

I want a machine that replicates a cow's stomach and makes all of the inedible cellulose heavy plants edible to humans.

A device that could potentially end world hunger, since it would vastly increase the food supply by allowing humans to get our energy requirements from raked tree leaves, grass clippings, sawdust, hay, ferns, etc. The stuff that grows everywhere without any need for farming. The stuff that I put into huge brown bags for the city to haul away.

In theory, that stuff we throw away is all huge quantities of food. We just can't digest it, so we don't see it like that. Instead we're limited to a small subset of the world's plants that can be directly processed by our human stomachs. Doesn't have to be that way. And those edible plants generally consume a ton of energy, water and human labour to be cultivated.

So I'm suggesting the world needs a device that can transform those waste products into edible food. Cow stomachs are nature's version of that device. And since they already exists in nature, we know it's possible to build one that uses less energy than it produces.

And then one day we'll figure out another device that can efficiently replicate photosynthesis and we'll cut out the grass as a middleman too.

Since that's all food is....just a means of converting solar energy and some basic raw materials into the chemical energy our bodies run on.

But it's an insanely inefficient way to do it when you have to go from sun to grass to a cow to a truck to a processing facility to a steak to a truck to a supermarket to my car to my stove to my mouth.

One day we'll just be able to mix sun and some raw materials together in a machine and get directly consumable food energy out the other end.

That may sound like science fiction but there's really no reason to believe it's not possible.
I imagine the resulting food would be an acquired taste...

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
600 hrs in iRacing here. Dozens of wins. I'm your driver @PlayersLtd

Convert the STi to RWD!
My friend and co-driver was an accomplished sim racer. He used to drift a 240 that we built. Thing is he also has his SuperLicense and raced F2000 cars as well... He actually just texted me today saying he got a VR headset and is getting back into Assetto Corsa. You can be our third, how about that?!

And heck no to the RWD conversion! At 600-700 whp I''ll need my 2500 lb car to be putting down that power to all 4 corners. That kind of ratio would be way too much to handle on the hill climb and tighter circuits we will run at, at least for this amateur :)

If it appeases you the 2JZ engine will one day go in a RWD car and will be pushing 800whp. Likely just for straight line racing though.

• Love
Reactions: branch

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
So I let my mom take my LEGO into her school to use as a classroom aid so when the school had ‘whatever days’ there was a LEGO club to keep kids entertained.

And last year my mom had to take a leave for the last half of the year. Upon cleaning her room the following summer we found most of my LEGO was missing. Like someone had rebuilt entire sets piece by piece and taken them.

Now we’ve contacted school admin but they’re pretty useless. Do I go over their heads and contact the RCMP? It turns out my LEGO was worth a lot of money.

I don’t really want it back but I’d like it back for the kids. But I’m worried a kid took it and could get charged with theft. Catch 22.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad