OT: Sens Lounge CVI - The O & D Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
Would love to hear everyone’s recommendations for local brewers.

My personal favourites these days are Flora Hall, Nita, Vimy and Tooth and Nail.
Dominion City in Ontario, Earl Grey Marmalade and Lost Train are good.

+1 on 5e Baron, went to school with one of the owners and their beers are excellent. I think the last one I tried was Maui

Reactions: FunkySeeFunkyDoo

OUTHOUSE

Feb 16, 2008
99 Rideau
Would love to hear everyone’s recommendations for local brewers.

My personal favourites these days are Flora Hall, Nita, Vimy and Tooth and Nail.

Bar Lupulus sells a great assortment of beers from all over. And like you said, Flora Hall and Tooth and Nail are awesome. Dominion City is probably my favourite, as well as Beyond the Pale. The Pink Fuzz was what got me into craft beer when I first tried it at the Manx years ago.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
It was just ok, season 2 of For All Mankind, I find that a lot of the season two shows for Apple have struggled, same with the horro one, which the name escapes ...the Servant... it was alos just ok.
Sopranos...loved it
Leftovers...loved it

Heard a lot of good things about the wire and madmen, but I ended up starting Breaking Bad, two episodes in and I am hooked!

Liked:
Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul
The Wire
The Americans
Sons of Anarchy
The Kominsky Method
Mindhunter
Ozark
Manhunter

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Tooth and Nail is friggin' awesome. Once we're able to do things a little more freely I'm making a day of going down to Hintonburg and doing an escape room, hitting up Suzy Qs and then going to Tooth and Nail. Such a neat ambience in there.

Other than them, I like Dominion City, Perth Brewery, Beyond the Pale and Big Rig. 5e Baron is also high on my hit list when I can get out there, it looks like they're doing all the little things right.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Bar Lupulus sells a great assortment of beers from all over. And like you said, Flora Hall and Tooth and Nail are awesome. Dominion City is probably my favourite, as well as Beyond the Pale. The Pink Fuzz was what got me into craft beer when I first tried it at the Manx years ago.

The Cheshire Cat has a really great assortment too but not quite as esoteric as Bar Lupulus. There's also some amazing delivery options in Ontario. Nickel Brook has been a go to option for me lately with free shipping on Tuesdays.

Reactions: OUTHOUSE

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
the mods will kick in soon. Let's hope you read it before then.

I am amazed at how we move towards greater level of education, how we have more universities than ever, how way more people attend them. Yet, I fully believe, we are dumber and our elected officials are way worse than ever before.

I would take Mackenzie King over anyone today and he was elected by people who were borderline illiterate and the bulk never made it past grade 5. None of my grandparents could read or write. My Father had a grade 5. My mother, grade 7. Yet they are savants next to us their kids and we are savants next to our children.

I don't believe that for one second, any politician today, would be elected in 1960, 1950, 1940, etc.

King was a tad weird.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Tooth and Nail is friggin' awesome. Once we're able to do things a little more freely I'm making a day of going down to Hintonburg and doing an escape room, hitting up Suzy Qs and then going to Tooth and Nail. Such a neat ambience in there.

Other than them, I like Dominion City, Perth Brewery, Beyond the Pale and Big Rig. 5e Baron is also high on my hit list when I can get out there, it looks like they're doing all the little things right.

Perth Brewery seems like a microbrewery from 20 years ago and not in a good way. Big Rig has some solid deals from time to time but since they've gone corporate I can't justify supporting them over locally owned places.

OUTHOUSE

Feb 16, 2008
99 Rideau
The Cheshire Cat has a really great assortment too but not quite as esoteric as Bar Lupulus. There's also some amazing delivery options in Ontario. Nickel Brook has been a go to option for me lately with free shipping on Tuesdays.
Free shipping? I’m sold.

Whitewater brewing has 15% off with the coupon code “wallyandmethot”.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Perth Brewery seems like a microbrewery from 20 years ago and not in a good way. Big Rig has some solid deals from time to time but since they've gone corporate I can't justify supporting them over locally owned places.
Fair enough on both counts! I think Perth's appeal to me is mostly rooted in the last time I was there — the folks were just above-and-beyond friendly, talked to me like a friend more than a customer, and were glad to talk specifics/offer samples on any of the beers. In the same sense that I completely understand not wanting to support large and corporate breweries when there are smaller ones trying to make their way up, I also can't help but want to support a place that left me feeling so good about them.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
A wild and crazy dog! Love "em!

Nothing better and nothing worse. One of life’s great bittersweet experiences. I love him so much.

That being said, getting a red leather interior in my car was not a smart move. One headrest has been put to pasture and I’m sure more will follow.

He is a money vampire.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Nothing better and nothing worse. One of life’s great bittersweet experiences. I love him so much.

That being said, getting a red leather interior in my car was not a smart move. One headrest has been put to pasture and I’m sure more will follow.

He is a money vampire.

We used to have a dog like that. He did not like to be left home alone. Tore apart a couch, a door and a metal cage. Crashed through the door window to bark at the postman. Never bit anyone but he was a very exhuberant dog. Would not let me get our baby's pacifier, which he loved to get when it was dropped. Let the baby crawl all over him to get it, but would snarl and snap at me. :)

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
We used to have a dog like that. He did not like to be left home alone. Tore apart a couch, a door and a metal cage. Crashed through the door window to bark at the postman. Never bit anyone but he was a very exhuberant dog. Would not let me get our baby's pacifier, which he loved to get when it was dropped. Let the baby crawl all over him to get it, but would snarl and snap at me. :)

He's getting more calm and well-behaved with age but every so often he gets possessed by the devil himself. He's like a bull in a china shop at that point and he gets really playful and really rough. I've got lots of battle scars.

He's never been aggressive towards me or anyone else but he does occasionally cross the line when he gets amped up to play. Something that takes a lot of work to deal with.

But he's really an incredible dog. Despite all of the stress and work I couldn't be happier.

Reactions: Cosmix

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Rabbits and chipmunks:

A mama rabbit set up her nest here this spring. I have not seen in her in a while...Junior on the other hand has been feasting on the lawn (well, more like jungle in the back) for a while now. Little guy/gal. About the size of a cantaloupe. Bravest damn thing ever. I was out doing seem minor work and almost stepped on him. He did not flinch! I darn near fell over. I then lost a staring contest to him.

I have chipmunks, red squirrels, grey squirrels, black squirrels..I have had raccoons (greatest thing ever, he stood there and lifted his paw..it looked like he was waving. Then climbed the tree and had a snooze on a high branch). Elephants are next.

Now onto a serious note: Chipmunks are destructive. They packed the vent for my dryer with pine cones. It was beautiful to see. A hexagonal arrangement in one column after another. It blew the dryer though! The vent lid was not fully sealing.

Then a few months later, the neighbors and I had to clean a solid 40-50 pine-cones from around our car engines.

Make sure you protect against the little suckers. And inspect your car. With stay at home the last few years, their isn't as much pollution/human traffic to harm them, so wildlife is increasing.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Feel bad for sens super fan matthew Perry. Dude not looking good these days.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
I am f,ng bored

Typical Ottawa RH in June is 53% mid day. Today it was at 36% (pre-rain). Assuming T dry is 25 C. The difference in moisture in the air. ~ 8.19 billion Kg. Or about a lake that is 1 km x 1 km x 9 M deep.

Typical Ottawa rain PSD produces a point value of about 11 mm/hr. Assuming a C of .5, and area of 50 km x 25 km. The missing water needed about ~ 50 sec of rain to be put back.

since it lasted ~15 seconds, 1.56 e 10 l/sec flowed into our sewers and eventually into the Ottawa river. And 2.34 e 11 L all told fell on us (more fell, but a large chunk will be absorbed by green space). Or a lake about 5 km x 5 km x 9 deep flowed into the river, the time to concentrate varies, but 5-20 minutes.

the humidity now registers 38 %. Meaning we still need about 1/2 hour or so for the humidity to rise back up to ~ 40% or so.

AHH nature.

If you live downstream of Ottawa. Wait an hour before you have any contact with the Ottawa river.

I am well past bored.

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad