OT: Sens Lounge CVI - The O & D Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Last sentence kind of says it all though. Somehow people think just trying to gentrify a neighbourhood by moving in rich people will make its social problems disappear. Surprise, there's a reason it used to be so cheap.

Here’s the last sentences

Saad says he and his neighbours aren't content to wait any longer for help.

"People who have lived in the area for years or even decades all say the same thing: 'We have never seen it this bad.'," he told blogTO.

"I used to brag that 'I live in one of the roughest neighborhoods in Toronto, but I don't mind if my kids go out at 11pm to get a burger.' This is simply no longer the case."

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
"I used to brag that 'I live in one of the roughest neighborhoods in Toronto, but I don't mind if my kids go out at 11pm to get a burger.' This is simply no longer the case."

It's the idea that they could just move into a rough neighbourhood and everything would be fine, property values would push out the rough elements and the market would kind of take care of it all. I get the concept that it wasn't always this bad and has in fact declined. Certainly the pandemic will have had some impact on that. But the fact seems to be that rising property values have just pushed out the regular families, while the presence of more affluent people has increased the pay-off of theft for the unaddressed destitute. Feel free to correct me, last time I lived in Toronto was almost 15 years ago and Cabbagetown had long been being touted as the next big thing, with slums being replaced with condos, and I can't say I'm entirely shocked to see it have gone wrong, as poverty can't just be endlessly pushed out.

Reactions: variable26

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I hate selfish, entitled people.

The other day I saw a man picking on a little old lady for wearing a mask.
Good for him. Don’t waste the masks ;)
Also, let people know you are an ahole so they can avoid you.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
zcJi2T4.gif

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Anyone familiar with the siege in Waco Texas in the 90's would remember it was one of the first LIVE television events a la The O.J. chase/9/11 that gained so much notoriety just from the framing of what was occurring. I just found this video of one of the members of the house hold you gives a very different account from what was reported. With the amount of fake news/conspiracy info we are being bombarded today with I think it's important to understand where this line of thinking comes from. Far too often only one side of the story gets recorded as history whether factual or not. I can appreciate this guys explanation for his side of the story which obviously makes their side out to be 100% innocent. In the end so many question went unanswered and then the news cycle moved on and the truth went with it.

It's a really good listen.

“The arts of power and its minions are the same in all countries and in all ages. It marks its victim; denounces it; and excites the public odium and the public hatred, to conceal its own abuses and encroachments.”

― Henry Clay

Last edited:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
This GameStop play is absurd. My son wants to buy in, and he iskicking himself for not buying in like his friends did at 50 and at 90, it think it is over 300 now in 24 hours ,and they are forecasting maybe 1k by Friday. This , for a 19yr old kid, is the best way to invest. But as dad, I am ot worried about this trade, it will be the next one when you are making investments that are not found in business principles

Reactions: branch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad