OT: Sens Lounge CIV - Keep your damned hands off the door edition

Wipers up or down for a winter storm?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Though I haven't tried the Marshall code 25, I've got a Vox VT30 that I'd recommend as an option if you're specifically looking for a modeling amp, they really nice for a bedroom or apartment amp. I have a Mesa blue angel that is simply too loud to use when anyone else is home, so the VT30 gets a lot of use.

The Yamaha modelers (THR5, 5a, 10 ect) are nice too, and can hook up to a laptop via USB if you want to to basic recording stuff. I have the acoustic one.

Both the Yamaha and Vox amps seem to be available on decent sales pretty frequently, not sure about right at this moment though.
I am actually looking at a keyboard amp/monitor, i can;t recall the name of it, Yorkville perhaps? The NX25P actually. It was really good when I checked it out last week. Gotta get some earplugs too. I was trying out the in-ear monitor as playing live looks to be impossible without some type of ear protection. I just don't like them , so monitor it is and some fancy earplugs! I already have 2 amps at home, an antique Peavey and my sons has a Peavey Vyper 3, a monster. I am finishing the basement and am working on getting a soundstage as part of it

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
No one is saying AirBnB shouldn't exist, the problem is it becoming an industry that only benefits people rich enough to buy properties in order to rent them out.

AirBnB was thought of and designed as a way for regular people to make extra cash, not to make fat cats even fatter.

It is a manifestation of the concentration of wealth, City Councils are briefed of the tremendous problem that inequality represents.

Soak the rich baby!

I think AirBnb was also a way to cut the hotels off at the knees, who were overcharging clients. Not unlike Uber, a market pressure to circumvent taxis who also rip up patrons because...they could.

Maybe a little simplistic, but if I were a taxi driver , I would be pissed to see the city do this, and help the hotel industry (who will go back to raising their predatory rates because...they can), when taxis did not get any support from the city.

There needs to be checks and balances, but the business model of AirBnb is a cheaper fare than a hotel, which also aids the condo owner make money. I don't see a problem with that. And I am not an AirBnber, I am a landlord who is at capacity and see the dire need for apartments, daily. A lot of these AirBnB places are going to be super expensive anyways, so not sure how this will help the rental market. The demand for units is insane, and unprecedented

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
The others probably went extinct for two main reasons: Metabolic and genetic. Neanderthals required a lot more calories per day. Not only that, but it seems that they were "bred out" when they were mating with Sapiens.

Obviously, it's more nuanced than just that, but I don't think technology is too much to blame, as there is evidence that, at the time, Neanderthals used similar technology as Sapiens.
I wasn`t equating the two just making two separate uneducated guesses. :)

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I am actually looking at a keyboard amp/monitor, i can;t recall the name of it, Yorkville perhaps? The NX25P actually. It was really good when I checked it out last week. Gotta get some earplugs too. I was trying out the in-ear monitor as playing live looks to be impossible without some type of ear protection. I just don't like them , so monitor it is and some fancy earplugs! I already have 2 amps at home, an antique Peavey and my sons has a Peavey Vyper 3, a monster. I am finishing the basement and am working on getting a soundstage as part of it

Ah, my bad. I assumed guitar amp. Yorkville makes some nice stuff, or at least they did last time i used anything of there's 15 odd years ago...

Sounds like a cool project for the basement.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Cities have to do something to open up more places for rentals. Otherwise business owners will have to start paying a minimum of $25/hr for even the most basic jobs just to get workers. Too many people simply can't afford to live in the cities anymore, not even sharing smaller apartments and homes. Airbnb is just one one part of a growing problem.

Reactions: DrEasy

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Cities have to do something to open up more places for rentals. Otherwise business owners will have to start paying a minimum of $25/hr for even the most basic jobs just to get workers. Too many people simply can't afford to live in the cities anymore, not even sharing smaller apartments and homes. Airbnb is just one one part of a growing problem.

Lots of cities like to use shortage of rental units to push the projects of developers they are getting kickbacks for, then when those projects go through, the units are anyways too expensive for anyone other than rich people using it as an investment, with AirBnB the perfect way for them to make it bring in money while appreciating.
Progressively taxing the shit out of second/third/fourth/etc homes could help, though generally people who can afford that can also figure out a way to get around such things through chains of businesses.
Honestly I think cities need to get back into the business of developing for themselves and making sure the newly created residential space goes to young families who don't own anything else.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I am on the phone with NSLC. They just drained my bank account 3 weeks before christmas. Now they are telling me the system is down and I have to call back in an hour. How convenient.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Lots of cities like to use shortage of rental units to push the projects of developers they are getting kickbacks for, then when those projects go through, the units are anyways too expensive for anyone other than rich people using it as an investment, with AirBnB the perfect way for them to make it bring in money while appreciating.
Progressively taxing the **** out of second/third/fourth/etc homes could help, though generally people who can afford that can also figure out a way to get around such things through chains of businesses.
Honestly I think cities need to get back into the business of developing for themselves and making sure the newly created residential space goes to young families who don't own anything else.

A lot of these new condos are people trying to rent them out, which is good. Bad thing is new rentals are usually at the very high end of the rental market. Affordable rental housing remains with existing rental properties, which maybe a few who went the BnB route will somewhat help

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
The conversation on here a few weeks back about the different generations and their characteristics somehow caused me to re-read The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemmingway. The book has been described as the definitive portrayal of "The Lost Generation" -- the people born in the 1890's, who felt abandoned by society after WWI.

In short the book is about a group of US and British expats living in Paris in the 20's, portraying their heavy drinking, angst ridden lives.

I remember reading it when I was in my 20's and thinking it was a masterpiece, and how well it captured the pain these characters went thru.

Reading it again over the last few weeks all I could feel was that they were a bunch of obnoxious, superficial, entitled brats.

Interesting how your perspective changes as you get older.

Reactions: maclean

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I don't think you've been in the market recently – this is just not true.

I’m in the market everyday. I own rental properties .

Wasn’t worded the best. Let me explain.

Affordable housing exists with the older properties. Affordable in a general sense, as yes, rents are creeping up. New builds will be higher rents as condo owners are looking to cover costs. This is where it will be interesting to see the BnB effect from council. It may slow down new condo builds significantly

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Reading it again over the last few weeks all I could feel was that they were a bunch of obnoxious, superficial, entitled brats.

So... basically every piece of literature ever written about urban life in 1920's America. :laugh:

The Great Gatsby is legit one of my favorite books, but every character in that novel is an insufferable, irredeemable human being.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
A lot of these new condos are people trying to rent them out, which is good. Bad thing is new rentals are usually at the very high end of the rental market. Affordable rental housing remains with existing rental properties, which maybe a few who went the BnB route will somewhat help

That's the thing, if a developer can choose to aim high end or low end, from a business perspective they're always going to aim at high end. And even if they did aim low end, the more wealthy would still outbid those who could barely afford it. If I'm to be completely honest the main problem is that there are too many people who can just plain afford to spend more.
That's why I mentioned city-developed housing, though in all honesty, historically that hasn't tended to be very well implemented in Canada.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Ugh... If i never hear (or read) another Holden Caulfield reference again it will be too soon.

I must've been like 18 when I read it and I thought it was a ridiculous piece of trash, but I don't know, maybe if I'd read it when I was like 13 I would've had a different opinion? I remember it was one of the favourite books of my girlfriend at the time and that was a serious hit to my estimation of her :laugh:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I must've been like 18 when I read it and I thought it was a ridiculous piece of trash, but I don't know, maybe if I'd read it when I was like 13 I would've had a different opinion? I remember it was one of the favourite books of my girlfriend at the time and that was a serious hit to my estimation of her :laugh:
I read it in highscool and thought it was trash.

Give me heart of darkness over catcher in the rye 7 days a week and twice on sundays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad