OT: Sens Lounge CIV - Keep your damned hands off the door edition

Wipers up or down for a winter storm?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
I bought a 21 foot all purpose ladder for $130. Was like 65% off or something.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Anyone finding any good deals over this weekend?

I ended up pulling the trigger on a new PC build that was a total unnecessary splurge but one I'd been thinking about for several months.

Got a few good deals on the components I was looking at.

But not finding much in terms of things for Christmas presents for people personally.

Also didn't see any of the sous vide contraptions people were mentioning on sale either :(
I saw some good deals for PC parts and was ready to pull the trigger on a new build but realized that a decent 4k monitor with the refresh rate I'm accustomed to was gonna be way more than I was willing to pay. My 1070 is more than enough to run almost anything on my current monitor at 1080p on ultra settings. There were 2080s on sale for about $800 at Canada computers, that I nearly got but just felt dumb running it with a processor that is already starting to bottle neck.

Just gonna wait until DDR5 comes out and 4k monitors come down a bit. Maybe see if the rise of the Ryzen processors forces Intel to do something drastic.

I saw Occulus Quests on sale for about 100 off that I might still get so I have something to run Half Life on. There's enough of a back log of stuff I'm interested in the VR market now that I can justify the purchase.

My other big purchase was food for my kitten. Royal Canin at Pet Valu, buy 6 cans get 1 free. Lol. Not a great deal but I'll take it.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Got an amazon fire stick at about 50% off which is decent I think, other than that not much really...I'm buying my wife a bunch of personal protective tools this year so saved on pepper spray and a defense device and also building out our emergency preparedness kit saved a bit through amazon in these items, with the craziness these days you cant be to prepared!

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I saw some good deals for PC parts and was ready to pull the trigger on a new build but realized that a decent 4k monitor with the refresh rate I'm accustomed to was gonna be way more than I was willing to pay. My 1070 is more than enough to run almost anything on my current monitor at 1080p on ultra settings. There were 2080s on sale for about $800 at Canada computers, that I nearly got but just felt dumb running it with a processor that is already starting to bottle neck.

Just gonna wait until DDR5 comes out and 4k monitors come down a bit. Maybe see if the rise of the Ryzen processors forces Intel to do something drastic.

I saw Occulus Quests on sale for about 100 off that I might still get so I have something to run Half Life on. There's enough of a back log of stuff I'm interested in the VR market now that I can justify the purchase.

My other big purchase was food for my kitten. Royal Canin at Pet Valu, buy 6 cans get 1 free. Lol. Not a great deal but I'll take it.

Building myself a 2k 144Hz system.

There were a few good 2k gaming monitors that were discounted nicely including a 32 inch 144Hz VA monitor at 400 bucks (free sync). There is a 27" TN panel from Asus at 450 right now too (gsync).

Was hoping to get a new pet water fountain but didn't see one I liked on a good discount.

Did get a new computer desk though for 180. Wanted one that was 50% off at 200 but it sold out by the time I decided to pull the trigger on it.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Bought my son a Marshall Code25 amp for 40% off.

Considering Marshall gear never goes on sale (because it never has to), that was a big find.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Anyone finding any good deals over this weekend?

I ended up pulling the trigger on a new PC build that was a total unnecessary splurge but one I'd been thinking about for several months.

Got a few good deals on the components I was looking at.

But not finding much in terms of things for Christmas presents for people personally.

Also didn't see any of the sous vide contraptions people were mentioning on sale either :(

CanadianTire and Best Buy has Sous-vide thingies on sale.

In terms of computers, just going to look today. The deals are okay. I am after a new monitor. Going to go with Canada Computers for deals for Cyber Monday

Anyone see deals in EcoBees?

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
CanadianTire and Best Buy has Sous-vide thingies on sale.

In terms of computers, just going to look today. The deals are okay. I am after a new monitor. Going to go with Canada Computers for deals for Cyber Monday

Anyone see deals in EcoBees?

For monitors (or any computer parts)
Pick parts. Build your PC. Compare and share.

Easiest way to shop between the different Canadian vendors, and better search filters than most vendor sites.

Reactions: Variable26

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
My biggest issue with the Amazon Alexa related devices is that a good chunk of the functionality does not work outside of the US.

But I've had a fire stick and a chromecast for a while now and I like both of them. Was handy to have one of each while Amazon and Google weren't getting along.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
My biggest issue with the Amazon Alexa related devices is that a good chunk of the functionality does not work outside of the US.

But I've had a fire stick and a chromecast for a while now and I like both of them. Was handy to have one of each while Amazon and Google weren't getting along.
My biggest issue with Alexa would be it data mining my life for the benefit of corporations. :sarcasm:

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
My biggest issue with Alexa would be it data mining my life for the benefit of corporations. :sarcasm:

Credit card companies have been doing that for years. I don't put the devices with microphones or cameras in the bedroom or bathroom, so there's still some privacy. Well, other than my phone... Which is gonna record more than alexa or a home mini anyway :P

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I asked Alexa if she was data mining me.
She said "No, we take privacy very seriously. Here are some sales you may be interested in since you are a white 6'4 male living in Canada."

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Credit card companies have been doing that for years. I don't put the devices with microphones or cameras in the bedroom or bathroom, so there's still some privacy. Well, other than my phone... Which is gonna record more than alexa or a home mini anyway :P
Tech is great but man does it like to turn us into slaves.

Humans will go extinct because of technology. There used to be different species of humans and for some reason they went extinct. All that is left is us now.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014

When you think about it the Pyramids would probably be the only man made thing that could have survived some of these great catastrophes.

The Pyramids and astrology :) This video to me demonstrates one thing in particular, scientists can do all kinds of work examining the universe, but as soon as they stick a stylised animal picture on it, everyone will be chomping at the bit to dismiss it.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Bought my son a Marshall Code25 amp for 40% off.

Considering Marshall gear never goes on sale (because it never has to), that was a big find.
Nice. I actually forgot to go to Long & McQuade as I need an amp, good thing I checked this thread!

I did buy a really nice Samsung Smart TV for 400$, 43", and a host of Christmans stuff for the fam

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Toronto's win at appeal board over short-term rental regs paves way for Ottawa's rules

About damn time we go after the scum that produce nothing and simply leech from people needing a place to live. Kill the Airbnb industry.

Hopefully this will help with affordability, unless you are married or rich you simply cannot buy anything that isn't in the outskirts.
I don't think the issue is that simple or straightforward.

The reason why AirBnb, Uber, Lyft, etc...exist is due to capitalism and the pressure of this system, plus monopolies with regards to business plan. It is part of the reason why Canada has insane cell phone plans.

Of course, things can escalate too far in a direction, once greed and gluttony gets in the way. Totally predictable as is human nature.

I think that AirBnb has a place in the marketplace, but needs more check and balances. I also don't believe for a second that city council retaliated in a heavy handed fashion because it cares about homeowners being subjected to noisy AirBnBers. This is about the rental market and trying to force more rental units into the market. That is kind of crossing some lines

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I think Airbnb as it was intended is a great idea.
You are gone for a few weeks, or you have a cottage that you only get to a couple times a year, put your place up on Airbnb and maybe you can rent it out or not.

I dont think it was ever intended to be a bunch of jackasses buying condos and putting them up as short term rentals for the entire time.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014

The reason why AirBnb, Uber, Lyft, etc...exist is due to capitalism and the pressure of this system, plus monopolies with regards to business plan. It is part of the reason why Canada has insane cell phone plans.

Of course, things can escalate too far in a direction, once greed and gluttony gets in the way. Totally predictable as is human nature.

I think that AirBnb has a place in the marketplace, but needs more check and balances. I also don't believe for a second that city council retaliated in a heavy handed fashion because it cares about homeowners being subjected to noisy AirBnBers. This is about the rental market and trying to force more rental units into the market. That is kind of crossing some lines

I would agree with the premise that AirBnB has a place on the market "as originally intended". Which should be clear as temporarily renting out temporarily available space in one's own place of residence. I put the as originally intended in quotes because the company has clearly had no problems with becoming a means to mask circumventing accommodation regulations as well as in many cases tax evasion and continues to protect those who are abusing the system. I'm glad cities are finally managing to get some additional regulations in place, but what I would really love to see is a crackdown on the company itself to make it responsible for enforcing the existing laws, because as much as I hate and am personally affected by what has happened to housing markets the world over, I find it hard to blame the specific people renting out places because of course people are going to take advantage of possibilities to make money if they are able to and as you say it is largely due to the pressure of the system (say people using it to mitigate the struggle to pay already overinflated rent).

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Nice. I actually forgot to go to Long & McQuade as I need an amp, good thing I checked this thread!

I did buy a really nice Samsung Smart TV for 400$, 43", and a host of Christmans stuff for the fam

Though I haven't tried the Marshall code 25, I've got a Vox VT30 that I'd recommend as an option if you're specifically looking for a modeling amp, they really nice for a bedroom or apartment amp. I have a Mesa blue angel that is simply too loud to use when anyone else is home, so the VT30 gets a lot of use.

The Yamaha modelers (THR5, 5a, 10 ect) are nice too, and can hook up to a laptop via USB if you want to to basic recording stuff. I have the acoustic one.

Both the Yamaha and Vox amps seem to be available on decent sales pretty frequently, not sure about right at this moment though.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

No one is saying AirBnB shouldn't exist, the problem is it becoming an industry that only benefits people rich enough to buy properties in order to rent them out.

AirBnB was thought of and designed as a way for regular people to make extra cash, not to make fat cats even fatter.

It is a manifestation of the concentration of wealth, City Councils are briefed of the tremendous problem that inequality represents.

Soak the rich baby!

Last edited:

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
Tech is great but man does it like to turn us into slaves.

Humans will go extinct because of technology. There used to be different species of humans and for some reason they went extinct. All that is left is us now.

The others probably went extinct for two main reasons: Metabolic and genetic. Neanderthals required a lot more calories per day. Not only that, but it seems that they were "bred out" when they were mating with Sapiens.

Obviously, it's more nuanced than just that, but I don't think technology is too much to blame, as there is evidence that, at the time, Neanderthals used similar technology as Sapiens.

Reactions: FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Union2017

Welcome to Ottawa, Michael Andlauer.
Feb 23, 2018
Ottawa
For all Ottawa music fans, there is a new band (duo to be more precise, a female vocalist and a guy who plays and writes their music) from Ottawa area. They sound really good, they are on Spotify, iTunes and Youtube. Take a listen and share if you like them. I love supporting local artists and these two sound legit. Young and talented kids looking for a break.

Here is their youtube page with some songs: Rose Blood

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad