OT: Sens Lounge CIII | Stranger Things Fashion Debate Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
TBH I just don't really want to see anything politics related bleed into live sporting events that I'm watching. I wouldn't want to hear a player go off on Trump during a live interview either. There are no shortage of platforms anyone can utilize if they want to publicize or bring attention to a political issue.

The problem was the severity of Blizzard's response, not that they acted.

I actually expect the ramifications of Blizzard bending over and begging for it to matter: this is something about 90% of people agree with and when you have that much support, it gets out of control in the social media age.

Blizzard wouldn't let people delete their accounts because of how many people were requesting deletions. I assume it was an automated process but that really shows you how people feel about how Blizzard reacted.

Reactions: DrEasy

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
That coupled with mouthbreathing morons unable to properly operate doors is not a great look...

It's amazing to me that these trains can actually be derailed by f***ing with the doors. It's not meant to excuse the morons screwing with the doors, but my god you'd think it would be built to withstand stuff like this considering the company who made them "has been making trains for 100 years" or whatever.

Reactions: DrEasy

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Blizzard also scrapped the two people who were conducting the interview, which seems insane as they had no involvement or knowledge the statement was going to take place.

The clip looks like the broadcasters did know what was coming, they told him to say his piece.
The caster was Taiwanese, and Taiwan does not like China. Blizzard likes China because it is a huge marketplace.

I hate how many businesses and countries just let China do whatever they want because of the economic impact they have. America and China are too powerful on the world stage.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I don't disagree Blizzard bent over for China, but you can't set a precedent that your live gaming events that are being broadcast to millions of people globally are a suitable stage to discuss politics. I was just stating that I don't blame them for punishing him for that (the issue is with the severity of the punishment). Doesn't matter if it's Trump or China, the events are about gaming and there's no place for politics anywhere near them.

Maybe the guy imagined for a second he lived in a free country?
Remember back in the nineties when the Beastie Boys were all like "ohh hey guys hey Tibet"? Now imagine that they started getting pulled from record stores for that, or banned from MTV because MTV was trying to break through in China or something. Personally I can't actually imagine that. Honestly I think people are reacting so much to this because it IS actually something shocking that just does not happen, and I say that fully aware that there are lots of situations in America where people have to hold their tongue and that freedom of speech is not absolute anywhere, but this is certainly another level.
I would also add that you can't really compare statements on American domestic politics with statements on the domestic politics of another country, which 95% of America doesn't really give a shit about and can really be considered absolute inoffensive and non-divisive.

Imagine if NHL players/broadcasters started making political statements during live broadcasts? That would not be okay.

Pretty sure Don Cherry does it all the time. What happens? Ron MacLean just steers him onto another topic

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
TBH I just don't really want to see anything politics related bleed into live sporting events that I'm watching. I wouldn't want to hear a player go off on Trump during a live interview either. There are no shortage of platforms anyone can utilize if they want to publicize or bring attention to a political issue.

Do people ever want to have protests, whether political in nature or not, bleed into any of their regular activities? The whole point is to interrupt things and make people uncomfortable so that you can raise awareness for something that merits (in their opinion) attention.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It's amazing to me that these trains can actually be derailed by ****ing with the doors. It's not meant to excuse the morons screwing with the doors, but my god you'd think it would be built to withstand stuff like this considering the company who made them "has been making trains for 100 years" or whatever.

The trains were made by a French company. They likely underestimated how dumb dumb north americans are :laugh:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Thought:

The Hobbit trilogy is the Star Wars Prequel trilogy of the 2010's.

Great original trilogies that pave the to way to absolute garbage.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
It's amazing to me that these trains can actually be derailed by ****ing with the doors. It's not meant to excuse the morons screwing with the doors, but my god you'd think it would be built to withstand stuff like this considering the company who made them "has been making trains for 100 years" or whatever.

Same trains and systems installed worldwide. Weird eh?

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Thought:

The Hobbit trilogy is the Star Wars Prequel trilogy of the 2010's.

Great original trilogies that pave the to way to absolute garbage.

If we are following this analogy, we are getting more LOTR movies in the future that are so bad that they make the Hobbit look good in comparison. I'm pretty sure I don't want to be in that timeline.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Brian Kibler (another popular gamer/broadcaster) had an excellent statement that pretty much nailed it on the head.

He doesn't nail anything. He's too chicken shit to come out strong and risk his Hearthstone career and tie up his earnings in a long protracted legal battle so it's some lame duck "I see both sides, I don't know anything about what's going on in Hong Kong or China so I won't comment PLEASE DON'T GET MAD AT ME CHINA".

Weak, pathetic and self-serving.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
He doesn't nail anything. He's too chicken **** to come out strong and risk his Hearthstone career and tie up his earnings in a long protracted legal battle so it's some lame duck "I see both sides, I don't know anything about what's going on in Hong Kong or China so I won't comment PLEASE DON'T GET MAD AT ME CHINA".

Moreover he says it's not about China/Hong Kong but about that it's about making any political comment. To take another current situation, if he had said something about Rojava, this wouldn't have happened. If he had said something about the climate, say, this wouldn't have happened. Hell, even if he had said something about Trump I don't see him getting a year ban and all his money taken away. So yes, it's definitely very specifically about China and shifting the benchmark and anyone claiming otherwise is disingenuous.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I was in Paris for 2 months this summer and not a day went by where someone didn't hold open or push a door when getting in or out. Done so myself many times.

First train my wife and I tried to catch was one to Versailles (last one for the day too) and only took up half of the platform, so I managed to hop on the last car just in time... Forced the door open so she could get on and about 20 people behind us managed to get in too.

Took about two or three more trains to realize that you had to look at the floor to see where cars for specific lines will park since they share platforms.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Same trains and systems installed worldwide. Weird eh?
Apparently the spirit models are new for Ottawa (we are the first to order them, Toronto is next). They are part of the Citadis family of trains, but a new North America variation.

Not sure how our doors differ from those used in other Citadis variations...

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Moreover he says it's not about China/Hong Kong but about that it's about making any political comment. To take another current situation, if he had said something about Rojava, this wouldn't have happened. If he had said something about the climate, say, this wouldn't have happened. Hell, even if he had said something about Trump I don't see him getting a year ban and all his money taken away. So yes, it's definitely very specifically about China and shifting the benchmark and anyone claiming otherwise is disingenuous.

This is political and will get removed, but China poses unique concerns, namely massive human rights violations and possibly genocidal behaviour mixed with expansionist tendencies into a nomimally free Hong Kong.

It has some parallels to Rojava, but has no parallels to Trump in scale. Trump is a uniquely bad president but the American system is durable and looks like it's going to take care of him.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Apparently the spirit models are new for Ottawa (we are the first to order them, Toronto is next). They are part of the Citadis family of trains, but a new North America variation.

Not sure how our doors differ from those used in other Citadis variations...
I find inside looks too cluttered.

Paris:
MP_05_-_Interieur_%284%29.jpg

New York
R160FlipSeatInterior0210.jpg

Montreal:
montreal-que-august-25-2015-a-view-of-the-interior-of.jpg

Ottawa:
d6a288ca85ffe19f9711126c10706889.jpg

If your goal is to allow for an easy flow on and off the train, Ottawa has done everything to make it not easy.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
I find inside looks too cluttered.

Paris:
MP_05_-_Interieur_%284%29.jpg

New York
R160FlipSeatInterior0210.jpg

Montreal:
montreal-que-august-25-2015-a-view-of-the-interior-of.jpg

Ottawa:
d6a288ca85ffe19f9711126c10706889.jpg

If your goal is to allow for an easy flow on and off the train, Ottawa has done everything to make it not easy.

Weird.

Are the Ottawa LRT's made up of less cars than those equivalents and so are trying to pack more people onto them? Are the ride times longer so they need more seating as opposed to hopping on and off?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Weird.

Are the Ottawa LRT's made up of less cars than those equivalents and so are trying to pack more people onto them? Are the ride times longer so they need more seating as opposed to hopping on and off?

I would suggest the opposite. Removing seats means more capacity, not less.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Weird.

I would say stops in Paris and new york are spaced out more than in Ottawa. Looks like in Ottawa the tried to replicate the interior of buses. Definitely not designed to move people efficiently. Style over substance.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
This is political and will get removed, but China poses unique concerns, namely massive human rights violations and possibly genocidal behaviour mixed with expansionist tendencies into a nomimally free Hong Kong.

It has some parallels to Rojava, but has no parallels to Trump in scale. Trump is a uniquely bad president but the American system is durable and looks like it's going to take care of him.

My point was only to counter the point that the problem was making any political statement in such a forum. Clearly it was the subject of the statement that touched off the overreaction, not the mere mention of anything political. As far as scale goes, it really depends on perspective and where you live, but what does make this situation unique is that it is starting to affect freedom of speech in other countries, which I would say is rather unprecedented. Just this week the city of Prague ended its partnership agreement with Beijing because it wanted to remove a sentence recognising a single China and the Chinese side naturally wouldn't hear of it. The agreement was signed a few years ago when Prague was trying to get a panda for its zoo (all pandas in the world officially belong to China and it controls who gets them and can keep them), which it didn't end up getting anyway in the end. Now the local football team Slavia is worried they will end up paying for this act, as they are owned by a Chinese company. All very interesting

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I would say stops in Paris and new york are spaced out more than in Ottawa. Looks like in Ottawa the tried to replicate the interior of buses. Definitely not designed to move people efficiently. Style over substance.

Agree with you here; the interior looks more similar to the UP express in Toronto (in terms of layout). UP express only has 4 stops, the Confederation line has 13 and will expand to something like 20. We should have gone with mostly standing room and seats facing inward lining the walls.

Reactions: Stylizer1

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
He doesn't nail anything. He's too chicken **** to come out strong and risk his Hearthstone career and tie up his earnings in a long protracted legal battle so it's some lame duck "I see both sides, I don't know anything about what's going on in Hong Kong or China so I won't comment PLEASE DON'T GET MAD AT ME CHINA".

It's funny, because when Brian Kibler was a Magic: The Gathering pro before he bailed for an at-the-time more lucrative pro-scene Hearthstone (probably still is, but who knows how Arena will pan out), he was always known as a guy who would "tell it like it is" (or at least his version of it), so it's funny to see him for once in his life be conservative and cautious about this kind of thing.

I guess he's protecting his piece of that pie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad