OT: Sens Lounge CIII | Stranger Things Fashion Debate Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
It's funny, because when Brian Kibler was a Magic: The Gathering pro before he bailed for an at-the-time more lucrative pro-scene Hearthstone (probably still is, but who knows how Arena will pan out), he was always known as a guy who would "tell it like it is" (or at least his version of it), so it's funny to see him for once in his life be conservative and cautious about this kind of thing.

I guess he's protecting his piece of that pie.

I don't blame him. Can you imagine yourself making decent prize money and then having that all taken away? Having nothing to fall back on?

The guy from Hong Kong who just had that happen who's at the center of this should probably win a legal challenge against Blizzard but who is going to fund that? I can imagine a gofundme type thing working but still... fighting a scummy company like Activision/Blizzard in the courts is going to take years. He's not going to be making any money in the meantime.

This is really where the American congress and civil courts need to absolutely destroy that company and level multi-million dollar fines. What they did needs to hurt them. There needs to be excessive penalties. As far as I'm concerned what they did should be criminal because it's a plain example of a company taking advantage of someone in the worst ways possible and the poor guy getting his money back isn't enough punishment.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I don't blame him. Can you imagine yourself making decent prize money and then having that all taken away? The guy from Hong Kong who just had that happen who's at the center of this should probably win a legal challenge against Blizzard but who is going to fund that? I can imagine a gofundme type thing working but still... fighting a scummy company like Activision/Blizzard in the courts is going to take years. He's not going to be making any money in the meantime.

This is really where the American congress and civil courts need to absolutely destroy that company and level multi-million dollar fines. As far as I'm concerned what they did should be criminal.

Seems like gameplayers are already doing that to them anyway. In a shocking turn of events, the invisible hand of the market really works!

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
There are too many yellow bars to start with.
Many are just part of the seats. Those ones don't really interfere with anything.

Honestly, the people in Ottawa are accustom to getting on and off packed buses, these trains are no worse in that regard, we just have increased anxiety right now because it's new, people will adapt. I think they could have improved on things by making the trains more aimed at standing as opposed to sitting, it's only what, a 25 min trip end to end? Most people don't need to sit for that.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I find inside looks too cluttered.

Paris:
MP_05_-_Interieur_%284%29.jpg

New York
R160FlipSeatInterior0210.jpg

Montreal:
montreal-que-august-25-2015-a-view-of-the-interior-of.jpg

Ottawa:
d6a288ca85ffe19f9711126c10706889.jpg

If your goal is to allow for an easy flow on and off the train, Ottawa has done everything to make it not easy.

probably we (Canadians) are over the top for special requirements to appease every type of need imaginable

not that I am insensitive... just pointing out a fact

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Also also also UPS: Randomly shows up today, when they told me Tuesday. Luckily, someone was home to receive it.

My favourite UPS story is having to pay their brokerage fee (something like 90 bucks) for my own phone (which cost 500 originally and was like a year or two old at this point), after it was shipped to me from Charles de Gaulle Airport after I'd forgotten it at a terminal.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
My favourite UPS story is having to pay their brokerage fee (something like 90 bucks) for my own phone (which cost 500 originally and was like a year or two old at this point), after it was shipped to me from Charles de Gaulle Airport after I'd forgotten it at a terminal.

Probably should have gotten a new phone instead. :)

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
My 16yr old daughter just wrote off my car, what a nice way to start her driving career. Parent's worst nightmare, right? Another few feet and the car would have been t-boned ( with me in the passenger seat). Got to get her back in the car as soon as possible ( i think). But wow. that was a high speed , air-bag popping shunt. We are fine , banged up and sore, but man, wasn't expecting that

A month later and finally got the numbers : 50K to repair, so written off officially. Now , they basically give you days to figure out what to do, so best to have a plan. The first estimate was 38K, which I thought would have been enough, but the insurance company deemed it repairable. So the collision company had to rip it apart and document everything, and that was the final number. Yikes!

My daughter drove and we went to the scene of the accident and she completed the turn, and she was visibly shaking. But, we made it.

I would recommend to go over your policies just to ensure you have the right coverage when a big one happens. I had "new car replacement" and that really paid off. So, once the cut the cheque you have to get cracking. Glad this ordeal is nearing the end. As much as I grew to love my Nissan Altima, the waiting was stressful.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
A month later and finally got the numbers : 50K to repair, so written off officially. Now , they basically give you days to figure out what to do, so best to have a plan. The first estimate was 38K, which I thought would have been enough, but the insurance company deemed it repairable. So the collision company had to rip it apart and document everything, and that was the final number. Yikes!

My daughter drove and we went to the scene of the accident and she completed the turn, and she was visibly shaking. But, we made it.

I would recommend to go over your policies just to ensure you have the right coverage when a big one happens. I had "new car replacement" and that really paid off. So, once the cut the cheque you have to get cracking. Glad this ordeal is nearing the end. As much as I grew to love my Nissan Altima, the waiting was stressful.

Glad it all worked out. I’ve never wrecked a car but was in the passenger seat when my good friend total’d his uncle’s ride. He was really shaken afterwards. Hopefully smooth roads ahead!

Reactions: coladin

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Glad it all worked out. I’ve never wrecked a car but was in the passenger seat when my good friend total’d his uncle’s ride. He was really shaken afterwards. Hopefully smooth roads ahead!

i have been in three. All long ago.

Two minor accidents in first couple of years driving. First one I borrowed my brother’s car (without asking) and hit black ice in the backroads of 1991 Kanata and hit a car that hit a car...Another car slid into a minute later. And another time I was downtown Ottawa... just dumb and not paying attention. rear ended a car. Minor damage.

Then in 1999, I was t-boned in red deer Alberta. Scary. I was tired and heading to work one frosty morning. Really shaken up. Air bags all deployed. RCMP officer was super nice and drove me back into town to rent a car. When I got to work, my boss sent me home ‘because I was still in shock’ apparently.

That was the last one. Knock on wood.

I still super double check intersections before crossing, regardless of right if way.

stay safe all! Don’t drive tired.

Reactions: coladin

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
probably we (Canadians) are over the top for special requirements to appease every type of need imaginable

not that I am insensitive... just pointing out a fact

I'd love to know how OC Transpo meddled with the original designs.

Seems likely that what the people who make these train originally envisioned was much cleaner and less cluttered. Never underestimate the ability of people who get paid too much to wreck a perfectly fine idea because they want to justify their outrageous salaries.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

Thanks! It is a crazy experience that we both won't soon forget. I sometimes pinch myself at how scary it actually was.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
The one car I've had written off was parked in my driveway...

Was a lease though and under 2 years old, so ended up getting full replacement value for it... Which was great since in those two years I'd had it, I'd put on over 4 years worth of kilometers lol.

Also, about time to make a new thread. Someone come up with something witty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad