Post-Game Talk: Sens lose 2-1 to Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I have to say that was probably one of Watson's least noticeable games. Usually he's at minimum making life hard on the opposition but tonigh he really had no impact.
He was good on the PK and he had a few good hits in the Ozone but he only played 7 minutes EV.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He had a few glaring turnovers, one led to Sens getting stuck in their own end for over 2 minutes and ended with us taking a penalty. I think he's pressing so much because the guy in between him and Stutzle is a black hole.
I really don't understand why we don't swap Stepan and Tierney, Tierney isn't perfect but he does just about everthing better than Stepan...

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
If we lose Stepan, we better get someone who can win faceoffs. Stepan isn't amazing in the dot, but he does OK and has to go against other team's #1 centres.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If we lose Stepan, we better get someone who can win faceoffs. Stepan isn't amazing in the dot, but he does OK and has to go against other team's #1 centres.

He and Tierney aren't that different at the dot, Norris has brought himself to the top fo% on the team, Paul is taking some draws now too and is pretty good,

As a team our FO% is improving i don't see it as a big issue going forward

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Considering the strides this team has made compared to the west coast, I am a little surprised at the comments in here. They outplayed the best team (allegedly). The Leafs had the mental fortitude of midgets as they clearly were playing last game in their heads pretty much all game. That was a fragile team last night. Sens played so well but failed to capitalize, that's hockey.

I don't disagree that Stepan, Anisimov and Gud were not amazing, but Step and Gud were not horrific. Everyone made a bad gaffe. My concern is more the White line which was invisible. Other than that, great PK, need work on the PP...and Murray was excellent

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
On the topic of faceoffs, White's efficiency has taken a nosedive this year, not sure why that is, he was never great but he really is having issues this year.

I wonder if the style of a players faceoff technique might creat good and bad matchups for certain guys, White has been matched up a lot against Draisaitl, Tavares and Matthews, three big centers, i don't think he's done well against any of them where as he's done better against guys like mcdavid, and Stastny,

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I see many comments thinking we are going to trade Stepan... I don't want to be a debbie downer, but there is undoubtly NO TAKERS. He has a 6.5 AAV in the midst of a global pandemic. Many teams are doing taxi squad gymnastics just to save a few $ on their salary cap (and to not get a penalty for next season). The teams not doing that either don't have the cap space or have absolutely no use for Stepan. Why wouldn't you want to try out your cheap Chlapik guys instead?

I complained right away in the Stepan thread but it's crazy to think that it was an UNDER reaction. It was such a short sighted move, and I thought Stepan could at least play at a 3rd line level. Don't think we have ever wasted a 2nd like that. People have criticized the Burrows trade (Dahlen was a recent 2nd round pick) a lot but this one is much worse. Burrows was still useful down the stretch and in the playoffs, he was not a detriment taking away ice time and opportunities to better/younger players. It,s the extension that suck but it was "only" 2.5 AAV and he was not worse than Stepan now on the 1st year.

It really feels like this trade was made based on 2 factors. He he only makes 2 M$ in salary vs his cap hit and "name recognition". 739 NHL games, 479 pts, Stepan was actually a good player in his first 8 seasons so Dorion automatically assumes giving a 2nd rounder for him is a good trade

Stepan =\= Legwand 2.0. Every play just dies on his stick and is inexplicably given lots of power-play time despite obviously better options on the team.

Legwand on his last NHL LEGs was still much better than Stepan right now. He could actually move the puck on the PP.

I thought C. Brown had a good game. Good motor, intercepted the puck a couple of times, created some offense with some nice passes. Clearly he's not a finisher, but he's useful.

Connor Brown is an excellent player. Just don't expect him to be a "goals scorer" and you'll see him quite positively. That being said, only 3 Sens players have more goals than him this season and only 3 had more last year.

He has to be a better PP option than Stepan or Anisimov.

Listen, I am a better PP option than Stepan or Anisimov and I'm a 40 y/o amateur goalie.

I am talking with my goalie equipment on :sarcasm:

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
He and Tierney aren't that different at the dot, Norris has brought himself to the top fo% on the team, Paul is taking some draws now too and is pretty good,

As a team our FO% is improving i don't see it as a big issue going forward

Plus if you have a guy who is 48% (not good) on draws playing in the place of a guy who is 52% (good) in a game, what happens? The most active faceoff man this year (Horvat) is taking 16.8 draws per game. At that rate a guy winning at 52% would win 8.7 draws per game. The guy at 48% would win 8.1 draws. That's just under 23 faceoffs, total, for the rest of this season.

Even White, who has struggled at the dot, would still lose about 1 draw per game more than Stepan, at their current rates. That's if you used him more than every other C in the league on draws, with the exception of Horvat.

It sucks to lose draws in key situations but in the grand scheme of things it's mostly a nothing burger over the course of a season. The Ottawa Senators are not going to lose games this season because of faceoffs.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

Your boy Stepan on the powerplay passed it to Brannstrom 4 times and all 4 times he gave him BAD passes.
And then he finally make a pass ON tape... to a Toronto player in a 1-1 hockey game in the 3rd period. And , i am not counting all the play he kill because he is slow and soft and can't keep up. You tell me he play well because he's got a 54.55CF%? You only base your opinion on a Corsi number that look good because of Stutzle and Batherson are the one who are leading the play in the offensive zone while Stepan is still at the Sens blueline trying to catch up.

I didn't say he played well. I said he played OK. You said he was awful. He wasn't .

Reactions: swiftwin

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
I didn't say he played well. I said he played OK. You said he was awful. He wasn't .

He was awful and he’s been awful since his first game in Ottawa. I could use abysmal if you prefer.

So for you, a guy who can’t keep up with the rest of the team, making bad passes, turnovers, most nights below 50% in the circle and don’t produce is playing OK? You don’t win game with guy who play ‘’OK’’ like you said.

The only positive thing I could say is that he finally was +50% in the circle other than that he is abysmal. I think you are the only one who’s saying he play OK...

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Kinda perfect. Played well, lost. We aren't done needing elite talent. Lose this year, add one more premium guy and bring them along with Sanderson, JBD, Pinto, etc. Brandt Clarke would be just great.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Kinda perfect. Played well, lost. We aren't done needing elite talent. Lose this year, add one more premium guy and bring them along with Sanderson, JBD, Pinto, etc. Brandt Clarke would be just great.

Agreed. And I bet fan turnout will be great in October. A couple more prospects getting roster spots and this team will be electric next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad