Speculation: Sens, Lebreton, and the NCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Soooo, all those years of my childhood where my dad would throw me into the Lebreton mud pits to play for 8hrs while he worked may have been bad for my health?

No one told me I wasn't supposed to eat the mud cupcakes that I made for me and my imaginary friends.

Ol' Chester and whacky uncle Nigel sure did love a good tea party!

On topic: f*** Eugene right in the ear hole... Lebreton... NCC... Taxes... LRT?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Soooo, all those years of my childhood where my dad would throw me into the Lebreton mud pits to play for 8hrs while he worked may have been bad for my health?

Where did your Dad work?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I guess it's because they don't know how much it's going to cost, until they actually start construction and soil remediation over the projected 15 to 20 years it's going to take to complete the entire project.

Like I mentioned before, they're going to be doing it, "on the go" and some places may be worse than others.

How does that stop NCC from paying remediation costs as they arise?

And the Real-estate prices could also fluctuate over 15 to 20 years, affecting the "fair market value" of the land.
Not sure what you are suggesting here. Are you saying that the price to purchase the land will change as the project moves forward? How does that change what cost is borne by the NCC?

Like i said. It all seems convoluted to me. Only thing i can think of is the NCC can avoid imcluding any of this in their budget if they never technically pay for it. Instead they just get less revenue selling the land which is probably politically preferable.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Like i said. It all seems convoluted to me. Only thing i can think of is the NCC can avoid imcluding any of this in their budget if they never technically pay for it. Instead they just get less revenue selling the land which is probably politically preferable.

The NCC is staffed by appointees, so no need to answer to the voters.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The NCC is staffed by appointees, so no need to answer to the voters.
And who makes those appointments? Do they serve at the pleasure of the GIC? Where does the NCC get it's funds? Do you honestly beleive that politics plays no role in the NCC?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
And who makes those appointments? Do they serve at the pleasure of the GIC? Where does the NCC get it's funds? Do you honestly beleive that politics plays no role in the NCC?

I know they're appointed by the minister responsible for the NCC, but do not know how long their appointments last, but know that they don't face the public every four years, as elected politicians do.

I don't think politics play a role in any Crown Corporation that I can think of, do you?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I know they're appointed by the minister responsible for the NCC, but do not know how long their appointments last, but know that they don't face the public every four years, as elected politicians do.

I don't think politics play a role in any Crown Corporation that I can think of, do you?
4 year max term at the pleasure of the gov, max two terms. They are most certainly not immune to the pressures of politics.

Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Downtown Ottawa is going to be fantastic in a few years. LRT, large buildings on Albert, Lebreton, Amazon, etc. It has been years in discussion but it's finally starting to happen.

I really hope so, It looked that way when I lived there in the early 90s, but it fizzled out because of Nortel. I hope to move back to Ottawa in the next five to ten years! It could be good timing.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Having covered the inner politics of the NCC myself, it's laughable to suggest they're a non-political entity. Absolutely laughable.

No one is saying they're not a political entity, they're a Crown Corporation.

But the board member's are not subjected to the will of the people, by having to be elected or re-elected every four years ..... and this is what makes their jobs much different from a MP who does.

Can anyone recall an instance, when a NCC board member was "let go" over something that irked the taxpayers, who called for their dismissal?

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I really hope so, It looked that way when I lived there in the early 90s, but it fizzled out because of Nortel. I hope to move back to Ottawa in the next five to ten years! It could be good timing.

It really is a shame. Nowadays the market is mostly just a bunch of dudebro bars and I stay in Hull cause the bars and pubs there are less corporate dbag.

Ottawa is lot more like Montréal now :laugh:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
4 year max term at the pleasure of the gov, max two terms. They are most certainly not immune to the pressures of politics.

Just an update on how someone (now) becomes a NCC board member.

It seems as though you were slightly mistaken when you said they were appointed and "serve at the pleasure of the GIC"

It seems since November of 2016 the Government began asking for qualified people who are interested in capital affairs to send in their resumés, to get selected to serve on the board.

You, too, can sit on the NCC's board of directors — but you'd better hurry | CBC News

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Do you think it's possible that no tangible headway has been made because Kristmanson and Watson really harbour a deep personal dislike/distrust towards Melnyk? I do

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Do you think it's possible that no tangible headway has been made because Kristmanson and Watson really harbour a deep personal dislike/distrust towards Melnyk? I do

First J Watson only has observer status on the NCC board, and cannot vote on anything.

Second, back in April, Kristmanson said he had a “good lunch with NCC chair Marc Seaman, Melynk and John Ruddy.... the project is moving ahead pretty well .... RendezVous can alter their blueprint according to market conditions as an agreement on the master development plan nears..... the LRT will be a great driver of development in the capital across the entire rail line....We’ll have our ups and downs on this process, but so far, so good, I’m not dismayed.

I doubt Kristmanson, who has been dealing with Melnyk and the RLG for over two years now, has a good view on the long term benefits of the Lebreton re-development deal, and is beyond sinking to the level of pettiness of having a "dislike/distrust towards Melnyk" that you're suggesting............. that is of course, unless you think Kristmanson is a liar too.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
First J Watson only has observer status on the NCC board, and cannot vote on anything.

Second, back in April, Kristmanson said he had a “good lunch with NCC chair Marc Seaman, Melynk and John Ruddy.... the project is moving ahead pretty well .... RendezVous can alter their blueprint according to market conditions as an agreement on the master development plan nears..... the LRT will be a great driver of development in the capital across the entire rail line....We’ll have our ups and downs on this process, but so far, so good, I’m not dismayed.

I doubt Kristmanson, who has been dealing with Melnyk and the RLG for over two years now, has a good view on the long term benefits of the Lebreton re-development deal, and is beyond sinking to the level of pettiness of having a "dislike/distrust towards Melnyk" that you're suggesting............. that is of course, unless you think Kristmanson is a liar too.

He was probably being diplomatic. I doubt he can bear being in the same room as EM.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Just an update on how someone (now) becomes a NCC board member.

It seems as though you were slightly mistaken when you said they were appointed and "serve at the pleasure of the GIC"

It seems since November of 2016 the Government began asking for qualified people who are interested in capital affairs to send in their resumés, to get selected to serve on the board.

You, too, can sit on the NCC's board of directors — but you'd better hurry | CBC News
Well since they didn't ammend the national capital act i suspect this is simply a policy change in how they determine who to select from. Doesn't change that they still serve at the GIC's pleasure or that they are appointed by the authority of the national capital act. Nice that they aren't just picking friends anymore though. The national capital act sets some limitations on eligibility but nothing about how an eligible candidate is to be selected so this change was likely at the discretion of the minister.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
He was probably being diplomatic. I doubt he can bear being in the same room as EM.

So you must have some insider information, that contradicts his public statements... so can you share that with us?

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
So you must have some insider information, that contradicts his public statements... so can you share that with us?

Are you that naive to not believe that the majority of public statements are lies to appease public opinion?

All these people do is lie. They lie professionally. It's unbelievable.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Whenever the NCC is involved with something, take your expectations and lower them by 150-200%

I agree 100% ...... it's taken the NCC over 50 years to get something done on Lebreton Flats, and now that the Agreement in Priciple has been struck with the RLG, back in January ...... I'll bet there is not a shovel in ground until the spring of 2019 at the earliest ... never mind the urgency to re-locate the Senators franchise to a centralized location in the National Capital region, to give it a fighting chance to survive, and be competitive.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Are you that naive to not believe that the majority of public statements are lies to appease public opinion?

All these people do is lie. They lie professionally. It's unbelievable.

But you indicated that you strongly felt that Kristmanson could not " bear being in the same room as EM. " Surely you must have something more than just your complete and utter distrust in anything a politician, a political appointee, a NHL Owner, a NHL GM or a NHL head coach publicly states publicly???

Is there anyone that you take what they say, at face value, and not totally dismiss as lying?

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
But you indicated that you strongly felt that Kristmanson could not " bear being in the same room as EM. " Surely you must have something more than just your complete and utter distrust in anything a politician, a political appointee, a NHL Owner, a NHL GM or a NHL head coach publicly states publicly???

Is there anyone that you take what they say, at face value, and not totally dismiss as lying?

My mother
A couple of my best buds
My gf

That's about it. Anyone in an executive role is typically mandated to use diplomacy in their day to day actions, and if that diplomacy requires lying and stretching the truth they have no qualms about using those methods.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Whenever the NCC is involved with something, take your expectations and lower them by 150-200%

While they're not going to speed anything up it feels like we've hit a point of no return with the NCC. This isn't 50 years wondering what to do with it. They've made a decision. They're moving forward with their preferred choice and I'm sure the second choice will come into play if Melnyk's group backs out (which they almost certainly won't).

I wish it would move faster for the sake of the city. This isn't about the Senators. This is about the city.

Reactions: branch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad