Speculation: Sens, Lebreton, and the NCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
With so much upside to make money off of the Ottawa market...is it fair for the Ottawa market to expect some additional investment in the team in the short-term?

The upside and attached profits, are years away when the new Arena is opened.

But, yes, the team should get their house in order today, on a number of issues, and that includes signing EK65 and Matt Duchene to eight year extensions, and signing Stone to a long term contract before the arbitration meeting.

But the problem of the CTCs location remains, and some fans are not motivated to make the trip out to Carleton Place to see games in the dead of winter ..... and perhaps have decided to what until the Lebreton Flats arena opens.

This is a big problem for a small market team with the worst Arena location in Canada.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Umm, ya. It matters a lot.

How do you think Melynk`s partners feel when he pulls out this line of "negotiating"?

Melnyk to NCC: "We aren't sure the project will work...too many condos being built in the area."

Trinity to Melnyk: "WTF are you doing? We are building the biggest condo development of them all."

NCC to Melnyk: "Well Mr. Melnyk, perhaps you should discuss cancellation or reduction 1,400 units your partner Trinity Group is currently building if you feel like the market is flooding and making this project's viability questionable."

If this is an example of Melnyk's business acumen and negotiating skills, it is no wonder the team is in the state we currently find them.

Find a mirror...consult it![/QUOTE

Ha ha, this totally FAKE conversation occurred only inside your head.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
You really have tunnel vision don't you.

Does it really matter which one of the numerous companies are building the most Condo towers, in and around Lebreton Flats?

You're missing the point.

But it appears you're playing a little game or something ......... what is the score?

Eugene Melnyk is rightfully concerned about the total number of Condo Towers, and the total number of units that are being built, piggybacking on the Lebreton Flats redevelopment plan that the RLG is undertaking.

Now is he throwing this out, as a negotiation tactic, perhaps?

But it in no way proves what you're alleging, in regards to his partners in the RLG.

No amount of wishful thinking, praying or making up rumours and spinning them on your part, is going to provoke Eugene Melnyk into selling the Senators franchise, and bailing on the Lebreton Flats deal he's worked so long and hard at.

There is just to much upside and profit to abandon this project, while he is standing on third base, with no one out, with the bases loaded ........... home-plate is clearly in his sights.

A re-located Senators Franchise, playing in a brand new arena, surrounded by condo towers, sitting between two LRT stations, that services areas both east and west of the downtown core, in addition to the existing O train line servicing the south end........ this is good for the Franchise, and good for the fans of the Ottawa Senators, whether you hate, like, loath, tolerate or can just put up with the owner.

“There is just to much upside and profit to abandon this project, while he is standing on third base, with no one out, with the bases loaded ........... home-plate is clearly in his sights.”

So he’s switching to baseball.... oh man, GREAT NEWS!!!

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
LOL, not sure what Kanata did to you, but why the animosity for a whole suburb? How does Kanata differ than Barrhaven or Orleans?

Nobody thinks Barrhaven is anything more than rows of houses and box malls. Meanwhile, Orleans has grown more gradually over time. Kanata meanwhile, due to sprouting up in the 80s and 90s, is basically a bunch of nouveau-riche hicks who think having the tech-sector makes them indepentent (even though the federal government still employs more people who live out there than the tech-sector last I checked). They don't care about science, as evidenced by electing a climate-change denier in the last provincial election for the Stittsville portion of the area. They only care about the tech-sector because they're told it brings money into the region. And because it distances them from "da guverment!"

As for why? I had the unfortunate displeasure of working retail out there. Yeah, bias, I won't deny it. But from that experience, after working retail in other parts of the city, both downtown and the burbs within the Greenbelt, let me tell you that Kanata was the worst. "Oblivious" and "entitled" are the best descriptors, both from myslef and coworkers, including ones from Kanata. You can tell many people out there have never worked a service job, or if they did they look back on it as some sort of punishment mummy and daddy forced on them for a summer or two. Retail sucks wherever you go, but wow does Kanta take the cake in Ottawa in my experience.

I mean, given how religious Kanatans like to say they are during election time, you'd think they'd be rather occupied on Sundays. But I can tell you from experience that shopping is what matters most to them on the sabbath :p

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Ha ha, this totally FAKE conversation occurred only inside your head.
Did I misrepresent Melnyk's position?

What do you think the Trinity Group's reaction was to his outburst?

Once the NCC representatives stopped laughing, what do you think their response to his complaints of too many condos would look like?

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Nobody thinks Barrhaven is anything more than rows of houses and box malls. Meanwhile, Orleans has grown more gradually over time. Kanata meanwhile, due to sprouting up in the 80s and 90s, is basically a bunch of nouveau-riche hicks who think having the tech-sector makes them indepentent (even though the federal government still employs more people who live out there than the tech-sector last I checked). They don't care about science, as evidenced by electing a climate-change denier in the last provincial election for the Stittsville portion of the area. They only care about the tech-sector because they're told it brings money into the region. And because it distances them from "da guverment!"

As for why? I had the unfortunate displeasure of working retail out there. Yeah, bias, I won't deny it. But from that experience, after working retail in other parts of the city, both downtown and the burbs within the Greenbelt, let me tell you that Kanata was the worst. "Oblivious" and "entitled" are the best descriptors, both from myslef and coworkers, including ones from Kanata. You can tell many people out there have never worked a service job, or if they did they look back on it as some sort of punishment mummy and daddy forced on them for a summer or two. Retail sucks wherever you go, but wow does Kanta take the cake in Ottawa in my experience.

I mean, given how religious Kanatans like to say they are during election time, you'd think they'd be rather occupied on Sundays. But I can tell you from experience that shopping is what matters most to them on the sabbath :p

CjL9GkaXEAAl-P1.jpg

I'll be sure to inform my family that we are now nouveau-riche hicks.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013

Lol I worked retail in Kanata as well. I can kind of see where you’re coming from (although it wasn’t that bad in my experience).

Stittsvegas was always worse than Kanata (unless we are considering them one and the same).

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

Way to paint a whole suburb with the same brush. I'm sure some portion of the area fits your view, but this reads much more as an Orleans inferiority complex and a confusing ramble than any comment on Kanata as a community.

Personally, as a Kanata resident who's literally five minutes from CTC, I'll be ecstatic to see the Lebreton plan come to fruition and have to commute farther for games. And if that "takes us down a peg," then I can't honestly say I'll care. Nor will most friends I know in the area. Although now I kind of want to see power rankings of Ottawa and area communities...

Reactions: Bean Drown

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Way to paint a whole suburb with the same brush. I'm sure some portion of the area fits your view, but this reads much more as an Orleans inferiority complex and a confusing ramble than any comment on Kanata as a community.

Personally, as a Kanata resident who's literally five minutes from CTC, I'll be ecstatic to see the Lebreton plan come to fruition and have to commute farther for games. And if that "takes us down a peg," then I can't honestly say I'll care. Nor will most friends I know in the area. Although now I kind of want to see power rankings of Ottawa and area communities...

1.Kanata
2.Stittsville
3.Everything from Moodie to St.Laurent
4.Barhaven
5.Vanier
6.Orleans

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa

Seems like you had an isolated bad incident and now paint the whole place as the same.

I bet you can find anyone in any city or suburb around the world, that will be just like you describe. It's not like Kanata is any different than any other community.

Orleans just had a rash of teen swarmings, does that make Orleans a crime hole? Should I paint them all as violent thieves?

If Kanata has more government workers as you say, than why would the majority care about the tech sector to distance themselves from "da guverment"? Kind of contradicting.

I'd advise to stay away from sweeping generalizations about whole suburbs. It never gets you very far.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
I don’t care about any rankings so long as Richmond is last. Thank God they have Royals to somewhat redeem them.

Reactions: branch

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
This is actually a fun break from the Lebreton mud slinging debate.

I've been rocking out in Hintonburg and Westboro for about 7 years. It's a mix of young rich yuppies, hipsters spending what little disposable income they have on the entertainment scene, and unemployed addicts (ahem, Mechanicsville, which is where I am now).

I love it so much. Just skuzzy enough in some areas to make you realize you're not in some "everybody is fake" neighbourhood, but still classy in the right spots.

Reactions: branch

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa

I feel sad for your inferiority complex....

I can't comment on your retail episodes so I'll yield to your experiences, but the bolded parts of your statement seem to be your own, internally-created bitterness, born of slices of observation and extrapolated over demographics in a weird and horribly misguided way. I assume it stems from the fact the arena was build there, based on a previous comment you made regarding the arena moving downtown knocking Kanata down a peg (or however you put it). I'm from Kanata (probably an evident fact since I'm replying to you) and I know no one who doesn't want the arena moved downtown. Nothing more to add there. It has been convenient, but no one I know from Kanata cares more about their convenience than the long-term sustainability of the team.

Also, you must have been busy collecting data on how and why people vote the way they do. I respect people's opinions and voting preferences, whether they differ from mine or not, but I do feel sad for you.

Wow.

Last edited:

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Also, you must have been busy collecting data on how and why people vote the way they do.
Considering that only about 50% of eligible voters actually vote and only about 40% voted conservative, he’s basing his sweeping viewpoint on 20% of the eligible voters. Lol

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Something big incoming on this front...and it is not good news...

GREAT NEWS!
Did EM sell????Or did he actually use his head ,and realise budgets and pie charts dont work in building a hockey team???You actually have to spend money and take risks

Reactions: Ray Kinsella
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad