GDT: Sens @ Leafs - October 2, 2019 - 7 pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I am surprised and disappointed that Jason Spezza isn't in tonight's lineup, but if that's what it takes to win then I'm all for it.

I have a strong hunch that the coaching staff has a much better idea of who can do what than I do looking from the outside in.

Reactions: Mikey88 and Hustlr

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
But he did earn a spot on the team, because Babcock has already said he'll be in the lineup on Friday.

He just didn't give him the home opener, which would have been one of the more memorable nights of Spezza's career, because he's petty and small - as many in the media, and former players, have said.

Why would it have been one of the more meomrable nights of Spezza's career? Spezza was a god in Ottawa, but it's been nearly 6 years since he left there. I guess t would have been nice to have Spezza be in the season opener for likely the last time in his career but w.e, it's not even important. Spezza should have retired a year or two ago IMO. He's a whatever 4th liner, but come'on ...

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
I am surprised and disappointed that Jason Spezza isn't in tonight's lineup, but if that's what it takes to win then I'm all for it.

I have a strong hunch that the coaching staff has a much better idea of who can do what than I do looking from the outside in.

Good take buddy

GO LEAFS GO

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
A player like this doesn't end up in the KHL, so if he was a much better option than spezza how come he wasn't in the NHL on any of the 31 teams. THis isn't about spezza being left out, its that Shore is being put in. Neither player did anything in the pre season, anything at all good or bad so its not like shore won the spot fair and square here

Spezza played in the NHL last season and sucked, he's not equipped to play on the 4th line if Babcock intends to use it like he normally does

If your going to be used in defensive situations sucking defensively is a pretty serious issue Walshy, Spezza is a very limited player and his most useful trait is the PP

We don't need the PP opinion we need a PK opinion

Subway Schenn

Jun 24, 2018
London, UK
Thrilled that we're back to playing real hockey, with a team that gives us our best shot at a cup in decades.

Excited to see a captain announced tonight... we have 3 choices who are all very "can't miss".

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Spezza played in the NHL last season and sucked, he's not equipped to play on the 4th line if Babcock intends to use it like he normally does

If your going to be used in defensive situations sucking defensively is a pretty serious issue Walshy, Spezza is a very limited player and his most useful trait is the PP

We don't need the PP opinion we need a PK opinion

The point is. In good faith he should have been played, the guy came here for almost nothing and it's his old team, and his fav team. All things considered, there is no tactical advantage to Shore of Spezza. Even if you let Spezza go, this night which probably many of his family are attending, was the night to be respectful to one of Canada's top players.

I don't care if he never plays again. Tonight you don't dick move the guy, it's very poor taste and looks bad on the entrire organization.

Reactions: Madap

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I think the only people who will complain about Spezza are people who are looking for something to complain about. That group is going to include a lot of media and the type of fan who calls radio shows and posts on message boards.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
The bigger issue is that Dubas didn't quietly read the roster and have a private talk with Babcock that Spezza would play tonight. That his decision in this particular case does not bode well for him attracting vets in the future. Then the roster with Spezza should have been submitted. So already we have an unsettled start because a hard head and a terrible GM. Nice one.

No, it's only an issue to you. Dubas in no way impacts this. Y'all are acting like this is an elite player.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I think the only people who will complain about Spezza are people who are looking for something to complain about. That group is going to include a lot of media and the type of fan who calls radio shows and posts on message boards.

Your attitude is the reason for 50+ years!

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
The bigger issue is that Dubas didn't quietly read the roster and have a private talk with Babcock that Spezza would play tonight. That his decision in this particular case does not bode well for him attracting vets in the future. Then the roster with Spezza should have been submitted. So already we have an unsettled start because a hard head and a terrible GM. Nice one.
Link?

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
I am surprised and disappointed that Jason Spezza isn't in tonight's lineup, but if that's what it takes to win then I'm all for it

A 4th liner won’t make a difference between them winning or losing. Lol.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I didn't even really notice Shore on the ice ever. He was no better than Spezza and no worse. In this case you let your past Star player put his hand up for his home town and get his cheer. Play the game and do whatever next game. What's so freaking hard about that?
But shore is absolutely better than Spezza in a 4th line/PK/shutdown role. ....which is the position we are trying to fill here.
If we needed a 2/3c, Spezza would absolutely get the nod over Shore.

Spezza played absolutely zero on the PK in the last two seasons and isn't known for his defense. What's the harm in waiting a couple days, having him learn and letting him in next time?

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Arguably our worst player in the preseason gets scratched and the board gets up in arms?

Yup, hockey is back! :highclap:

Please continue.....

:popcorn:

Reactions: TML Dynasty

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
Crest on the front not name on the back !!!

Tonight is about winning, and announcing the Leafs captain.

Everything else is simply unwanted white noise, and taking the spotlight away from what matters most. . IMO

Like unnecessary benching Spezza in this game instead of next game vs. Columbus, that stirs up media buzz and takes spotlight away from captain towards your asshat coach showing his power for nothing and pissing on his team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad