GDT: Sens @ Leafs - October 2, 2019 - 7 pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Guys, why can’t you just be excited? I love to bash on Babcock as much as the next person, but I am not enraged by this.

It just seems spiteful, this should have been a nice moment and now its not. It's not like Shore is that deserving either. Spezza is playing the harder game on Friday. The first game of the season is a lousy time to send a message.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
So we're kicking off Babcock's 5th year here. It really seems like he wants fans to picture his face when people think of the Toronto Maple Leafs, and not their actual star players.

Strange man. A very good man who lives right, eats right, treats people right, but at end of day is strange. Way to make Game 1 about himself, in this highly anticipated season. Never understood the nicknames for his name but that EGO one sure rings true right about now.

ANYWAY. Get the 2 points boys! Hockey is back!

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
But he did earn a spot on the team, because Babcock has already said he'll be in the lineup on Friday.

He just didn't give him the home opener, which would have been one of the more memorable nights of Spezza's career, because he's petty and small - as many in the media, and former players, have said.
We won’t agree. I think merit and integrity are more important than a players feelings after he got beat out by several younger players.

Reactions: leuf

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
My issue is that Spezza wasn't signed as a tryout. He should of been using preseason to get in shape, not trying to earn a spot. He had a spot on the team, that's why he signed here. If he wasn't given a spot that should have been made clear at the beginning. Spezza's a vet, he should be using preseason to shake the rust off, not killing himself to earn a spot.
Spezza was scratched multiple times by Dallas that is ridiculous to think just because he has an NHL contract that he shouldnt have to earn a spot lol

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Respect for what? He has yet to do anything for us. If anything Babcock should be more consistent with this approach and do away with the 'tie goes to the vet' nonsense.
You make an exception in this instant. He is a leafs fan who took a discount to come here. Got tickets for his family, and playing against his former team.
The human in me wouldn't be happy.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Why aren’t we whining about Michael Neuvirth?

He has feelings.

He passed up guaranteed contracts for a PTO with his childhood team (so he said). He had health issues and couldn’t play, but the big meanie Babcock didn’t care about his feelings.

Someone should reach out to him after they’ve finished apologizing to Spezza’s friends and family.

Reactions: Primary Assist

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I wonder if Spezza is just a victim in the fight of Babcock vs Dubas. Dubas clearly wants a skilled 4th line that can score as well. Babcock then makes a 4th line that is going to struggle to score. We had players like Spezza, Agostino, Petan who all showed good offensive skills in the preseason but Babcock gonna Babcock.
I thought Spezza and Goat looked good together. Even commented on it during games. WTF Babcock?

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Bad decision by Babcock here. Spezza came here cheap with other offers on the table, because he wanted to play here. That's exactly what this team needs now and in the future - players who want to be here and are willing to come here for less.

Even if Spezza is worse than Shore, who gives a sh*t? Its our 4th line and if that's going to be the difference between us winning and losing against Ottawa, then we have bigger issues. This situation is way different than having Marleau stapled to our top line last year.

Have some class Babcock. Should be playing him in the home opener at the very least.

Reactions: dsred and NiftyMits

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
It just seems spiteful, this should have been a nice moment and now its not. It's not like Shore is that deserving either. Spezza is playing the harder game on Friday. The first game of the season is a lousy time to send a message.
It's the perfect time. This isn't the country club anymore. Spezza doesn't just waltz in and pick his games whilst mailing preseason in. Leafs are going for it this year. Jason better pull his finger out or he won't be a Leaf for long. You'd think a 1600 game vet would understand that. He hasn't yet

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Why are people up in arms here?

Spezza has been scoring at a fourth line rate at even strength over the last few years, and has been equally bad on the PP. He's never been a PK guy, he doesn't drive play. All he's got is the faceoffs. By merit alone, he might actually be our 15th best forward right now. Him out of the lineup isn't a huge controversy, it just shows that this team isn't all about name recognition.

It's a relief if anything.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Lots of in-your-face, faux hard asses on this thread. LOL

rebelwithoutclue.jpg

Reactions: Leaf4Life79

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
We won’t agree. I think merit and integrity are more important than a players feelings after he got beat out by several younger players.
That seems to be the divide.
Some see Shore as earning the start, others see Babcock as being an ass.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Spezza has been scoring at a fourth line rate at even strength over the last few years, and has been equally bad on the PP. He's never been a PK guy, he doesn't drive play. All he's got is the faceoffs. By merit alone, he might actually be our 15th best forward right now. Him out of the lineup isn't a huge controversy, it just shows that this team isn't all about name recognition.

Then why play him Friday?
I don't know much about Shore but is he honestly that much better?

Reactions: NiftyMits

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Can you honestly give me 5 reasons why Shore is in C over Goat to begin with? Goat was doing well at C for Spezza. This is just some strange BS.

Shore is strong defensively and he can PK, if the 4th line is going to be getting DZS Shore is a much better option than Spezza

Some guys should get respect. It's a performance based business, but these players are human beings.

It would seem I'm way more ruthless than you Stickty :laugh: if you don't perform up to scratch you go, professional sports are supposed to be a merit based business not a lifetime achievement award

Reactions: Prominence

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018

Jason is from Toronto or nearabouts (depending who you talk to) and his family have tickets

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
That seems to be the divide.
Some see Shore as earning the start, others see Babcock as being an ass.
I guess.

For what it’s worth I said during camp Shore would be on the team if it’s my call. He’s a good PK’er and. RH FO guy that would have gone in for Hyman against Boston in the playoffs.

As one of Dubas’ harshest critics, I really like the move to bring in Shore. He was on my short list of bottom 6’ers that could help fill a void.

Dubas brought in a useful player and the fans are whining because Babcock is PLAYING him instead of a washed up veteran. (Because it’ll hurt his feelings)

There’s no winning with some people.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
This fanbase really seems to enjoy torturing itself lol. Instead of spending the day excited about the best team we have had in decades we spend it *****ing about the 13th forward being disrespected.
Yeah, wish we'd limit the drama and discuss the upcoming game instead lol

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Hope I don't have to see Babcock look so confused again this year. I hear he's great at being prepared. Maybe trouble at adapting to his opponent once they've adjusted to us is his real problem.

BBVI9nM.img

Reactions: definedMF
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad