GDT: Sens @ Leafs - October 2, 2019 - 7 pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
Arguably our worst player in the preseason gets scratched and the board gets up in arms?

Yup, hockey is back! :highclap:

Please continue.....

:popcorn:

I noticed him once the whole preseason I believe. Did he actually do anything of note?

Mikey88

Feb 18, 2010
Troll City
I noticed him once the whole preseason I believe. Did he actually do anything of note?

Nothing at all. I remember calling Spezza the turnover king back when he was with the Sens lol not saying he's a horrible player but cmon, he's a 4th line guy at best.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
A player like this doesn't end up in the KHL, so if he was a much better option than spezza how come he wasn't in the NHL on any of the 31 teams. THis isn't about spezza being left out, its that Shore is being put in. Neither player did anything in the pre season, anything at all good or bad so its not like shore won the spot fair and square here

Not to mention that he got additional kicks at the can in Calgary and Ottawa before heading off to the KHL.

I don't want to slag Shore too much. I'm sure getting in this game is a big deal for him and he'll give it everything's he's got.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
Nothing at all. I remember calling Spezza the turnover king back when he was with the Sens lol not saying he's a horrible player but cmon, he's a 4th line guy at best.

I think we should walk away from the Spezza issue. Let’s at least see how the weekend plays out guys.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Why would it have been one of the more meomrable nights of Spezza's career? Spezza was a god in Ottawa, but it's been nearly 6 years since he left there. I guess t would have been nice to have Spezza be in the season opener for likely the last time in his career but w.e, it's not even important. Spezza should have retired a year or two ago IMO. He's a whatever 4th liner, but come'on ...

The game is in Toronto. He grew up in Toronto. His favorite team growing up was the Leafs. He dreamt about playing for them, which is why he took the minimum to play there in what's likely to be his last season.

The guy bought 30+ tickets for friends and families, and according to Jeff O'Neill, had over 20 people in the stands for the morning skate.

Getting announced as a Leaf in the home opener would have been awesome for him and his entire family.

There's not one former player or hockey media person who's said this is a reasonable decision that makes sense. It's being panned.

But of course, as always, Mike Babcock is smarter than everyone.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Your attitude is the reason for 50+ years!

So, the Leafs haven't won the Cup in 50 years because I (and others) think the media and a "mouthy" part of the fanbase like to make mountains out of molehills???

Note that I'm not saying fans and media should not question the decisions of the Leafs' coaches and management. I'm saying that sometimes they pick the stupidest little things to question.

I think the Leafs haven't won in 50+ years because various parts of the organization (from owners down to players) have failed to do their jobs at various times.

Reactions: Hustlr

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
I am surprised and disappointed that Jason Spezza isn't in tonight's lineup, but if that's what it takes to win then I'm all for it.

I have a strong hunch that the coaching staff has a much better idea of who can do what than I do looking from the outside in.
Playing Shore over Spezza is absolutely not what it takes to win against Ottawa. It will make no difference in this game at all.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
The point is. In good faith he should have been played, the guy came here for almost nothing and it's his old team, and his fav team. All things considered, there is no tactical advantage to Shore of Spezza. Even if you let Spezza go, this night which probably many of his family are attending, was the night to be respectful to one of Canada's top players.

I don't care if he never plays again. Tonight you don't dick move the guy, it's very poor taste and looks bad on the entrire organization.

For a start the tactical advantage of Shore over Spezza is his ability to do a better job with difficult defensive usage and his ability to help the PK

As for the other stuff I couldn't care less, this is a business and the other guy is better suited for the position and usage

We're not running a charity, so perform or perish

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
The game is in Toronto. He grew up in Toronto. His favorite team growing up was the Leafs. He dreamt about playing for them, which is why he took the minimum to play there in what's likely to be his last season.

The guy bought 30+ tickets for friends and families, and according to Jeff O'Neill, had over 20 people in the stands for the morning skate.

Getting announced as a Leaf in the home opener would have been awesome for him and his entire family.

There's not one former player or hockey media person who's said this is a reasonable decision that makes sense. It's being panned.

I'm not disagreeing with you that Spezza should have played today, but everyone is blowing this massively out of proportion and the hypocrisy is real.

It's very hypocritical that Leaf fans make fun of Borkowski's comments defending Sabourin about only making 70k a year fighting in the AHL, and then get all emotional about the Spezza situation, a guy who is a goddamn multi-millionaire and making over 700k this year. Either pick the player's side of things or don't lol.

Sabourin is a guy who's probably been wishing his whole life to play in the big leagues. And then Matthews destroys him in one of his only few pre-season stints. The guy grew up dreaming to play in the big leagues, and now he's known as a meme.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
So, the Leafs haven't won the Cup in 50 years because I (and others) think the media and a "mouthy" part of the fanbase like to make mountains out of molehills???

Note that I'm not saying fans and media should not question the decisions of the Leafs' coaches and management. I'm saying that sometimes they pick the stupidest little things to question.

I think the Leafs haven't won in 50+ years because various parts of the organization (from owners down to players) have failed to do their jobs at various times.

No, it's the fans supporting stupid drama and overpays. Paying money to go see them even when they were at their worst. It's the same ultra dramatic team as it ever was. The only owner we had that tried to break the cycle was Stavros, but he ran into financial difficulties and the TPP bought in. They milked us. Rogers and Bell? It seems they want to win but then this drama crapstorm comes over our heads and you have all the same old drama that killed this teams for years and years once again, all supported by blind trust fans.

I have walked away from this team, I did it before and will do it again. Know when I did it? When the TPP bought the Leafs and they refused to rebuild, I was outta here.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
For a start the tactical advantage of Shore over Spezza is his ability to do a better job with difficult defensive usage and his ability to help the PK

As for the other stuff I couldn't care less, this is a business and the other guy is better suited for the position and usage

We're not running a charity, so perform or perish
What does having an organization that treats its players right have anything to do with running a charity? Its actually a good business decision to make sure your players are happy with you.

Make the tough decisions when its needed. Not the first game of the season against a joke of an NHL team.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

So, do you think that Dubas made any guarantees when Spezza signed? I sincerely doubt it. Heck, I think there's a good chance that Dubas told Spezza close to what Babcock has been saying throughout training camp. And Spezza was likely told that he would be scratched sometimes.

Either Spezza himself or his family made an incorrect assumption if they thought he was a lock to play tonight.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
What does having an organization that treats its players right have anything to do with running a charity? Its actually a good business decision to make sure your players are happy with you.

Make the tough decisions when its needed. Not the first game of the season against a joke of an NHL team.
By sending the message that everyone else has to earn it their job except Jason Spezza, ‘cause he’s from Toronto?

:laugh: I can’t.

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
By sending the message that everyone else has to earn it their job except Jason Spezza, ‘cause he’s from Toronto?

He wasn't bad enough to not earn it. I don't even remember shore and Goat was best at C! Now Goat is a freaking wing!? WTH

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
No, it's the fans supporting stupid drama and overpays. Paying money to go see them even when they were at their worst. It's the same ultra dramatic team as it ever was. The only owner we had that tried to break the cycle was Stavros, but he ran into financial difficulties and the TPP bought in. They milked us. Rogers and Bell? It seems they want to win but then this drama crapstorm comes over our heads and you have all the same old drama that killed this teams for years and years once again, all supported by blind trust fans.

I have walked away from this team, I did it before and will do it again. Know when I did it? When the TPP bought the Leafs and they refused to rebuild, I was outta here.

You can have your opinion. And honestly, I don't respect you or your opinion enough to bother arguing with you any further.

Reactions: DankinIT and Hustlr

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I think the only people who will complain about Spezza are people who are looking for something to complain about. That group is going to include a lot of media and the type of fan who calls radio shows and posts on message boards.
No, BabCOCK haters like myself complain because we hate the man.

DankinIT

Freddie's Angels
Nov 26, 2018
Calgary

Keep walking then, there are plenty of true leafs fans still here.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada

I'm not saying play him the whole year when he doesn't deserve it. We saw it last year with Marleau and no one was happy with that.

But Spezza is a veteran who can help this team a lot, and he took less money and rejected other offers after meeting with Dubas. He's bought tickets for his family to attend the game and I heard Oneil mention that Spezza came in early to help out with the team (not exactly sure what he meant by that but its clear Spezza wants to help the team in any way he can).

Play the man for the first game. Its a 4th line role. You and I know that it will make zero difference on the outcome of the this game. It would have been a classy thing to do and it would have been a good look on the organization to do so.

We don't to be some ruthless organization who doesn't care about its players, because we want to attract and keep players here for less than they deserve in the future, and we will certainly need to do so with our cap situation.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
He wasn't bad enough to not earn it. I don't even remember shore and Goat was best at C! Now Goat is a freaking wing!? WTH
Goat was better. Shore was better. Timashov was better. Korshkov was better. Moore was better. Agostino was better.

Almost every one of the guys he was competing with performed better. A good case could be made that he should have been waived.

Reactions: BayStBullies
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad