Post-Game Talk: SENS @ Jets, Thursday 8pm on TSN (2nd last pre-season game)

MoreGore

Jul 13, 2022
Those of you who watch the Sens play regularly (pre season game 1 to final whistle of reg season game 82) , what would you say is the biggest factor to the teams pre-season success ???

A win is a win pre season or not and always better than a loss...

Depth on NHL and Bellville rosters.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Methot was always a reasonable guy. People on here just like to hate on him for some reason

I don’t hate Methot. I agree with many of his hockey opinions aside from his Brannstrom take.

It’s surprising because he’s been very consistent on his opinion of Brannstrom’s (in)effectiveness.

Reactions: Emrasie

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Never thought I’d see the day:

Branny out here changing hearts and minds.

Brannstrom is great through the neutral zone and he’s also an automatic out of the zone. He’s very good at beating the first man and eaother slinging a pass for the tip in or making the red line and smart dump.

Reactions: DrEasy and Bileur

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Brannstrom is great through the neutral zone and he’s also an automatic out of the zone. He’s very good at beating the first man and eaother slinging a pass for the tip in or making the red line and smart dump.

He’s obviously limited at box outs but he is also clearly improving. He’s tiny but he clearly has a good understanding of leverage.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
I have to imagine that type of gameplay is exactly what DJ is looking for…bottle it up and apply each game.
They broke Winnipeg last night, they were so frustrated. No space, no time.

The D moves the puck so well. The whole team was slinging the puck around with kind of confidence you have when you know you’re good.
Really great to see it.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I don’t hate Methot. I agree with many of his hockey opinions aside from his Brannstrom take.

It’s surprising because he’s been very consistent on his opinion of Brannstrom’s (in)effectiveness.
Well he's everything that internet hockey fans dispise. They don't like physical hockey, they think they know more than former players and they don't think size matters. Clearly this Brannstrom take by Methot is going to gas light them.

However the majority of hockey fans like him as they aren't the type to go on Twitter and complain about everything.

He’s obviously limited at box outs but he is also clearly improving. He’s tiny but he clearly has a good understanding of leverage.
Yeah he's really found a role in the NHL now. I think he's a great asset on this team as a bottom pair guy his compete level is great. He is what he is at this point and can step into a top 4 role periodically. I don't think he is a top 4 d man on a playoff team that goes on a deep run but as a depth guy he's fantastic. Can pp, pk etc. Moves the puck controlled.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Loved the bailey goal.

Smejkal and bailey fought like animals for the puck on the boards, then bailey won the puck and didn't panic, he made an astute pass to the d-man, then got back into position in the slot.

Previous years only Tkachuk would really do that.

Reactions: DrEasy

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Loved the bailey goal.

Smejkal and bailey fought like animals for the puck on the boards, then bailey won the puck and didn't panic, he made an astute pass to the d-man, then got back into position in the slot.

Previous years only Tkachuk would really do that.
I missed the game but thought the same. Bailey has terrific vision. He has made a few really nice seam passes in pre season. He has the hockey IQ to play with skilled players.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Hamonic is terrific as a net front presence and breaking up the cycle. That's what he does best. You don't have to inaccurately put a player down to defend another.
I’m not. He’s not great at defending the net. Countless times last year I said jokingly “I thought hamonic was good at boxing out?” Right after he got beat there lol.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I’m not. He’s not great at defending the net. Countless times last year I said jokingly “I thought hamonic was good at boxing out?” Right after he got beat there lol.
Seeing something completely different. Especially when you're at the games live. He breaks up alot of plays down low. And moves players from the front of the net. He's hard to play against. I'm not going to pretend he makes a good breakout pass or pushes the pace but he is good defensively in his own end.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Lord Littlefinger Bailey was the star last night, both on the spinning goal and the set up on Chychrun's open net finish. Credit where it's due - just don't know where the money would come from to sign him unless Andlauer doesn't mind paying NHL salary of one of Kelly of McEwen to play in Belleville, potentially both of those guys if My Precious Smejkal also makes it to a bare minimum, 20-man roster with Pinto still to be signed.

Personally wish him luck elsewhere, not sure what Dorion's boss DJ is thinking.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Pretty good game from the Senators last night especially considering that Norris, Pinto and Batherson were not in the lineup. In general, they had a lot of jump, forechecked and created pressure, and frustrated the Jets.

Brannstrom & Hamonic looked pretty decent. Brannstrom is effective at moving the puck up the ice, in making zone exits and a good pass for offensive zone entries. Hamonic does the defensive things generally quite well & is good in his end. Odd to see opposite impressions but good to know who to ignore I guess. Overall, our defense has looked good in the preseason.

Our 4th line is tough to play against. They are heavy line & Smejkal is a nice addition along with Kastelic.

It would nice to see our full lineup.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I’ve seen hamonic get absolutely torched by players trying to get into the crease. Brannstrom inability in that area is overblown. He’s fine at it.

I think his positives outweigh his negatives. Clearly he can’t clear the crease like a 6’4 230 guy could but he’s good at many other things.

I agree he’s good enough at it to get by. Below average but OK and very willing.

I've seen him land some nice hits in the pre-season, including knocking a much bigger guy on their arse.

He’s definitely strong, short but stocky.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad