Post-Game Talk: SENS @ Jets, Thursday 8pm on TSN (2nd last pre-season game)

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Seeing something completely different. Especially when you're at the games live. He breaks up alot of plays down low. And moves players from the front of the net. He's hard to play against. I'm not going to pretend he makes a good breakout pass or pushes the pace but he is good defensively in his own end.
Once upon a time yes

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Projected Lineup? Not sure this fits under the cap

TkachukStutzleGiroux
BathersonNorris*Tarasenko
KubalikPinto*Joseph
SmejkalKastelicKelly
Bailey/McEwen

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Projected Lineup? Not sure this fits under the cap

TkachukStutzleGiroux
BathersonNorris*Tarasenko
KubalikPinto*Joseph
SmejkalKastelicKelly
Bailey/McEwen
That's a great forward group. Though I would be disappointed not to see Greig here, the flip side is the *our prospect well is dry* panic.

Reactions: SensFactor

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
Loved the style of play and pace for this game. Frustrated the hell out of the jets. If sens play like this consistently they'll be a tough team to beat, even moreso if we figure out centre depth. 1st line dangerous every shift, 3rd and 4th lines just rolling and pressing, D corps looks solid throughout with any one of Chabot, Chychrun, Sanderson likely to step up with a great game night in night out. Exciting stuff.

Bailey - shit man, a good game on the scoresheet couldn't come at a worse time. He has been lethargic and unable to press the play on either side of the puck for the entire preseason. He didn't even look that much better this game on those metrics, but definitely displayed some great vision and passing on the PP. Credit where it's due.

But he's not going to see much PP time this season unless something really goes off the f***in rails. It will be a mistake to have him take a spot / cap space in the bottom 6 instead of someone who will play with more tenacity, speed, and jam. I really hope DJ and Dorion see that, and the favour they are presenting to him ends at preseason.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
I don’t hate Methot. I agree with many of his hockey opinions aside from his Brannstrom take.

It’s surprising because he’s been very consistent on his opinion of Brannstrom’s (in)effectiveness.
Brannstrom playing on 3rd defensive pairing on his Left side with Hamonic who is more the stay at home D allows Brannstrom to shine. We've never had the depth we have now so I expect Brannstrom to have a great year barring any injuries to the top 4.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I didn't see the entire game, but based on what I saw: the team showed a lot of hustle chasing the puck, but that also means they didn't have the puck all that much. When they did have the puck, there was a lot of short passes and quick transition, that looked good sometimes but didn't lead to a lot of puck possession. Missing our #2 and #3 centres will probably do that...

Bailey did legit look much better than in past games, he showcased his vision on the pass to Chychrun on that goal.

My favorite thing about the team so far is all the one-timer options we have now, with players who don't hesitate to use it: Chychrun, Kubalik, TaraSENko, and more and more Stu as well.

If Norris can join this team I'm very optimistic about our playoff chances. I think we could survive Pinto sitting out the season if it came to that. But Norris is key.
If Norris is healthy and remains so, and we sign Pinto while retaining Joseph, Kubalic, Brannstrom, I think we will have a playoff team. If not, then we will be a bubble team. I think the roster will be, assuming no trade:

Tkachuk - Stutzle - Giroux
Tarasenko - Norris - Batherson
Kubalic - Pinto - Joseph
Kelly/Smejkal - Kastelic - MacEwen/Smejkal

Chychrun - Chabot
Sanderson - Zub
Brannstrom - Hamonic

Korpisalo
Forsberg

Reactions: DrEasy

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
He’s obviously limited at box outs but he is also clearly improving. He’s tiny but he clearly has a good understanding of leverage.
What he is missing in strength and size to play physically and box out opponents, he can make up for with his skating to get to the puck first, make a pass or skate the puck out of the D zone. I think he will be fine as a 3rd pair D until we get someone better at the same or lower salary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad