Pre-Game Talk: Sens @ Jets Sunday 7PM CST - TSN3 Preseason Game 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Anyone selling beers outside? $5 cans. Bet you could unload 40 beers in 5 minutes.

Buddy used to do that in Vancouver.
TNSE could do it (I mean, if they had some kind of variance from the city to sell beer on the streets). If anyone else tried there'd be an immediate crackdown.

I think they'll figure out how to get the lines moving a lot quicker after a few games.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
No way this loss is on Comrie. He got beat by some very nice plays/shots. Sometimes you have to give the other guy a little credit.
Comrie is too small so he overcommitted.

The first goal he gave up way too much room on the short side.
The second goal - nice shot. No problem.
Third - His angle was a foot too far to his left. It was brutal.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
No way this loss is on Comrie. He got beat by some very nice plays/shots. Sometimes you have to give the other guy a little credit.
An NHL goalie can't give up those 3. Maybe one gets by him, but they were all from angles that should have allowed him to leave no corners to pick.

A problem is that he put three of his teammates on highlight reels for their defense, basically unnecessarily. He'll need to garner the confidence of teammates, and last night he didn't make progress on that front.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
An NHL goalie can't give up those 3. Maybe one gets by him, but they were all from angles that should have allowed him to leave no corners to pick.

A problem is that he put three of his teammates on highlight reels for their defense, basically unnecessarily. He'll need to garner the confidence of teammates, and last night he didn't make progress on that front.

I was ok with the first two goals he gave up but that OT one was just awful as mentioned he overcomitted and left the far top side wide open.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You liked that OT goal?

It was pretty lazy 'checking' from 80 but no NHL goalie should get beaten like that

I put that one on PLD, not Comrie.

He made quite a few good saves last night. I've been a Comrie skeptic for a long time already, but I'm not going to write him off based on that game. He looked a lot better than he has in his other Jets games. Of course that was the first exhibition game and was not against an NHL team. But it was the first game for him too.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I was ok with the first two goals he gave up but that OT one was just awful as mentioned he overcomitted and left the far top side wide open.
2nd goal should be a routine save with the right angles.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Comrie is too small so he overcommitted.

The first goal he gave up way too much room on the short side.
The second goal - nice shot. No problem.
Third - His angle was a foot too far to his left. It was brutal.

If you want to micro-analyze all of the goals, every goalie is a bum. I'm not sure if I agree with your points or not. Would need access to a lot more video.

Mostly he played well last night. He made a lot of good saves. None of the goals against stood out as bad goals to me.

I will be a little surprised if he succeeds as an NHL backup, but I thought we should have given up on him 2 years ago. Last nights game was not his worst in the NHL - and don't forget that it was the first pre-season game for him too. Don't expect mid-season form.

Reactions: larmex99

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If you want to micro-analyze all of the goals, every goalie is a bum. I'm not sure if I agree with your points or not. Would need access to a lot more video.

Mostly he played well last night. He made a lot of good saves. None of the goals against stood out as bad goals to me.

I will be a little surprised if he succeeds as an NHL backup, but I thought we should have given up on him 2 years ago. Last nights game was not his worst in the NHL - and don't forget that it was the first pre-season game for him too. Don't expect mid-season form.
I also thought Comrie looked solid most of the game, except for 2 or 3 bad goals against ..

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

Bringing Comrie back honestly feels a bit like a Winnipeg loyalty thing... not a huge fan of it -
Just as long as it doesn’t cost us too many games

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I also thought Comrie looked solid most of the game, except for 2 or 3 bad goals against ..

:laugh: That is a perfect description of a not NHL calibre goalie.

I didn't think any of the goals were that bad. The OT goal was the worst one, and he probably expected Dubois to prevent that shot, cheating a bit to the other side in case there was a pass to an open shooter.

But everyone is demanding perfection from him - mid-season form. Come on guys, it was hist first game action of the season too. Pre-season even. The important thing to me was that he didn't appear nervous like he has several times in the past.

Reactions: Classic16

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Bringing Comrie back honestly feels a bit like a Winnipeg loyalty thing... not a huge fan of it -

I'm not thrilled with it, but it is what was done. I would rather have kept Brossoit, even if it meant not retaining Stastny. But Chevy never asked for my advice this time. :laugh:

Reactions: Adam da bomb

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm not thrilled with it, but it is what was done. I would rather have kept Brossoit, even if it meant not retaining Stastny. But Chevy never asked for my advice this time. :laugh:

Brossoit wasn't coming back even if we could have afforded him. He wants to try to establish himself as a platoon goalie and that isn't happening behind Helle.

Not really sure who else was on the market for cheap this offseason.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Brossoit wasn't coming back even if we could have afforded him. He wants to try to establish himself as a platoon goalie and that isn't happening behind Helle.

Not really sure who else was on the market for cheap this offseason.

Well, I can't blame Brossoit for wanting to move up. I think there were a few goalies available, but not for 750k.

Reactions: surixon

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
Uh, no. He is generously listed as 6'1.
"Generously" is correct. He may be 6'01".....on skates and even at that he looks small in the net. I remember going to my son's first junior game and to my surprise, the program had him listed at an even 6'. I was surprised because at the time, he was 5'10". After the game I pointed it out to him and he said that for the program, the players were measured with skates on. We both had a good chuckle.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
I think it was more of a "we aint got no more money, so we have no choice" kinda thing lol.

Nov 24, 2006
He is going to cost us a lot of games IMO.

His entire career in the NHL is a 4.07 GAA and a save percentage of .873

This guy can't be our backup, there's just no way.

Reactions: rubikscube

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Yeah I'm kind of with you here. OT he could have been centered a little better but it was also a great shot. As for "an NHL goalie doesn't let in that shot", every goalie regardless of skill lets in that shot sometimes. I can find videos of Roy, Brodeur, Hasek, you name it letting in worse goals than that at more important times. There's also no reason that Pinto should ever get that clear of a chance from that distance off of that play. Insanely weak by Dubois.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad