Pre-Game Talk: Sens @ Jets Sunday 7PM CST - TSN3 Preseason Game 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013
I just wanna see how long it will take to get into the game.

Scan my ticket, scan my vax card, look at my ID ( which won't look like me because I'm wearing a mask ) ... hopefully they have got this down pat.
So was there long lineups?

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Perfetti's gonna be the new Ray "The Wizard" Whitney. Whitney topped out at 83 points and was a .80 PPG player.
no... he's the next STEVE YZERMAN!!!!!!!!!

Hyperbole? We'll see....

tumblr_nakmg788551s9ab4to1_640.gif

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He just seems to be really slow moving. Big body that protects the puck well and can cycle the boards, but he's not really effective at creating offense.
I was at the game, and I did try to zone in on him a fair bit. I actually thought he looked quite solid. His positioning and routes were solid. I think many are expecting more offense, but I think he is making a lot of progress in the basics.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Lots to be encouraged about from last night!

I already LOVE Dillon. He is going to be so fun to watch. A shutdown D who his but doesn't go out of his way to do so, good passer and just smart plays everywhere.

If Dubois plays like that all year we're in good shape.

I liked Svechnikovs game. He plays so responsibly but has some really nice skill.

Nash is such a good bottom 6 player

I wish they would have given Perfetti PP time and top linemates, but you can see he's still not quite ready, considering the forwards we already have

Vesalainen looks like an everyday player, and Gus was good too - he's so mature for his age.

Heinola had a couple nice moments but I'm not sure he could usurp anyone yet.

Kovacevic was a pleasant surprise, played a pretty simple game.

Comrie really wants to make it, but I just don't think it's in the cards.

Ehlers is going to do big things this year but man he has to start protecting himself better.

I'm all about the crosschecking crackdown, long overdue.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Lots to be encouraged about from last night!

I already LOVE Dillon. He is going to be so fun to watch. A shutdown D who his but doesn't go out of his way to do so, good passer and just smart plays everywhere.

If Dubois plays like that all year we're in good shape.

I liked Svechnikovs game. He plays so responsibly but has some really nice skill.

Nash is such a good bottom 6 player

I wish they would have given Perfetti PP time and top linemates, but you can see he's still not quite ready, considering the forwards we already have

Vesalainen looks like an everyday player, and Gus was good too - he's so mature for his age.

Heinola had a couple nice moments but I'm not sure he could usurp anyone yet.

Kovacevic was a pleasant surprise, played a pretty simple game.

Comrie really wants to make it, but I just don't think it's in the cards.

Ehlers is going to do big things this year but man he has to start protecting himself better.

I'm all about the crosschecking crackdown, long overdue.
Good post. I agree with all points.

Reactions: Jet

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
I was at the game, and I did try to zone in on him a fair bit. I actually thought he looked quite solid. His positioning and routes were solid. I think many are expecting more offense, but I think he is making a lot of progress in the basics.

Yeah, I thought his positioning and ability to read the play were fine. He didn't stand out in a bad way, he didn't seem to elevate himself to stand out in a good way either. Might be following the same path as Armia; drafted for his offensive acumen, but developed as a bottom six winger due to his size and ability to work the dirty areas.

Svech impressed me the most though. He looked very comfortable out there on the ice and might even challenge for that winger role next to Copp and Lowry, assuming the coach doesn't care about having 3 LH shots on the same line.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
You heard it here first: Comrie goes sub .898 in all of his first 3 starts and he's on waivers 15 games into the season.
Comrie was solid in most aspects of the game last night, but he's a smallish goalie in the net and NHL shooters can pick the corners on him, even from relatively low percentage angles. It's hard for a D to eliminate all of those types of chances. Comrie either needs to challenge shooters more aggressively, or I think he'll get picked apart by NHL shooters.

Reactions: thereturn and GNP

Whileee

May 29, 2010
That's an honor :)

Good thing I didn't add that I thought Beaulieu played a really nice game last night haha
Actually, Beaulieu was fine, except one time when he froze with the puck and turned it over. That's the issue with Beaulieu... he plays fine for stretches, and then he just makes terrible decisions / plays that lead to long zone time against and high danger chances for opponents.

Reactions: Jet

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Actually, Beaulieu was fine, except one time when he froze with the puck and turned it over. That's the issue with Beaulieu... he plays fine for stretches, and then he just makes terrible decisions / plays that lead to long zone time against and high danger chances for opponents.
Luckily he should be nothing more than an injury replacement this year. I'll be disappointed if he plays over Stanley

Reactions: surixon

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
Luckily he should be nothing more than an injury replacement this year. I'll be disappointed if he plays over Stanley
Good God me too.
I can't imagine he will though. Stanley got protected over DeMelo. He's clearly in the plans.

Reactions: GNP

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Huge lines. The 300 level entry line was to the HSBC building across st Mary's going from the skywalk, and the other way long past the Robin's.

We ended up lining up outside on Graham, then walking up the stairs to the 300s. Can't imagine this'll sit well when it's -30.
Anyone selling beers outside? $5 cans. Bet you could unload 40 beers in 5 minutes.

Buddy used to do that in Vancouver.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

I will be too -- but I won't be surprised.

Hard to make any solid judgments on the first game of the preseason. Vets are going to play safe -- well, except for Wildman Ehlers -- and skill rookies are going to struggle until they shake the rust off and play with some confidence. IMO these early games are for fringe players to try to score or hit their way into the lineup and for special teams and goalies to get a few reps in.

Happy to see Dillon doing his smart, steady thing and a quicker, more engaged PLD. Liked Gus and Harkins cerebral games, good routes and positioning and some creative passing, liked Ves's commitment to continuing to do what's asked of him and thought Nash and Svetch were slow but strong. I don't see Copp sticking on that 2nd line or keeping a place in the team past this year. He'll be our 20-21 Perrault.

Perfetti is going to be great -- but we knew that. And Heinola needs some consistent first-team reps -- but we knew that. And Comrie -- but we knew that.

MosTLucky

May 25, 2016
I love our depth.
Gus, Svechnikov, Harkins, Vesa all look like they can contribute this year. Going to be interesting to watch them battle it out for the remaining spots.
Perfetti is so impressive. One of the smartest players on the ice. No need to rush him into the league until there is a top 6 spot for him. Playing huge minutes in the AHL will be great for him.
I liked all of our D last night, except for booloo. I like the toughness that we'll have back there. Tough to play against.
Even though we lost I thought there were a ton of positives from this game. Gonna be a fun year :cheers:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Exactly! Everyone thinking Cole should play for the Jets is out to lunch. He would get very little minutes as he isn’t able to bump a top 9 guy out.. so play huge minutes with the Moose is the right decision

Except that (almost) everyone who thinks Cole should play for the Jets think he CAN bump a top 9 guy, even a top 6 guy. There are 1 or 2 who have mentioned playing him on the 4th line ....... which would be a huge mistake.

They may be out to lunch thinking he could bump Copp, but that is out to a different lunch than what you said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille