Post-Game Talk: SENS in Columbus New Years Eve, 7:00pm

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
I forgot there was a game tonight lol. Between my New Year's plans and the Canada-Russia WJC tonight, I didn't even know there was a game. Never thought that would be a thing with me.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Yeah, the same line up, used in the past 4 or 5 games was a winning combination, and nothing should have been changed .........

Senators shakeup: Coach Guy Boucher puts lines in a blender

You trying to obtuse on purpose or just byproduct of your lack of reading skills. People don't have issue with the mix of lines, people have problems with the actual lines. I agree the lines should be mixed up but the main sticking point is breaking up the KT - White - Stone line. I have no issues with Dzingel and Boedker being demoted. They have been playing like crap for the past dozen games or so, maybe more.

Reactions: DrEasy and Deku

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I forgot there was a game tonight lol. Between my New Year's plans and the Canada-Russia WJC tonight, I didn't even know there was a game. Never thought that would be a thing with me.

Ditto for me, the apathy is beginning to creep in big time especially with other sports in full swing, Senators hockey has not been appointment viewing for me for the first time in the teams 25 years existence. I likely will just watch Juniors tonight personally.

Reactions: Rand0m

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
f*** boucher. this guy is so stupid. this is beyond ridiculous. not only is he screwing the sens chances at a win he's also screwing up dzingel's next contract by playing him with scrubs. if your going to trade him anyway why not play him with good players to inflate his stats? we could get a 1st for him. now we'll probably get a 2nd.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
**** boucher. this guy is so stupid. this is beyond ridiculous. not only is he screwing the sens chances at a win he's also screwing up dzingel's next contract by playing him with scrubs. if your going to trade him anyway why not play him with good players to inflate his stats? we could get a 1st for him. now we'll probably get a 2nd.

To be fair he's been playing like crap lately. Maybe this will motivate him to play better. Especially defensively.

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
To be fair he's been playing like crap lately. Maybe this will motivate him to play better. Especially defensively.

I mean boucher always keeps moving him around and playing him with scrubs. there are more players that deserve to be in that spot (like smith or boedker).

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I mean boucher always keeps moving him around and playing him with scrubs. there are more players that deserve to be in that spot (like smith or boedker).

True, but those guys seem to do no wrong in eyes of Boucher. I would put Smith, Boedker and Dzingel all in the same boat. Not very good defensively for the most part and not scoring lately. Which is double bad.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Happens when you are moved game to game from 3rd line to spot duty with Duchene.

Not as though Tierny/Boedker/Smith/Ryan haven't been playing like crap.

Tierny has 7 points in his last 20 and is -11. He had 10 points in his first 8 games and 13 in his past 31. It's the Stone effect, whoever plays with him looks much better than they do anywhere else and perform better. White won't do as good on Duchene's wing, and Tierny will look much better than he did anywhere else. You put Dzingel with Stone and he will look much better and put up much better numbers. Tkachuk has been benefiting from it all year, and White has ever since he was there full time. I guarantee Tierny looks better tonight, as would literally every single player on the team.

That's the difference between Duchene and Stone. Duchene can still make plays and create scoring chances whomever he plays with, but doesn't elevate guys. Stone makes everyone around him better. Duchene does not. Anyone who plays with Stone has career years. Everyone.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Tkachuk-White-Stone have worked extremely well and I'm sure breaking the line up is not something the coaching staff would like to do but at the same time you need more than one line working. I think by now we all know by now Stone works well with just about anyone and Tkachuk compliments him well. Not to say White didn't becuase he did but you've also seen Stone and Tierney have success together early in the year.

They've already tried a number of combinations with Duchene. They recently tired Tierney (to the displeasure of many) for a short time, Dzingel and Boedker have had extended looks. If the goal is to find a second line that can sustain pressure there really arent too many options. White has played on Duchene's wing before and I thought the consensus was that he looked pretty good with Duchene. At the very least its worth a shot, I dont think sitting back keeping things the same is a solution.

Hey I agree we need to try something different. I think White is a catalyst that works well with Stone and Tkachuk. There is chemistry there There is some knowledge developed of where the other guy will be.. I agree Stone is a fantastic player that works well with just about anybody he plays with. He has taken 2 rookies under his wing and they've developed into a really good line. Now I just don't know what to expect. You are robbing from Peter to pay Paul in some ways and I am not sure you are going to gain much; and you stand to lose something. Even though Dzingel has not played well in stretches , is White an automatic upgrade on him to play with Duchene. I am not convinced of that. White has done well blending with Stone and Tkachuk because they support each other.. One goes in the corner to fight, he has support.. and White is effective playing like that .. If he is left on his own to out muscle the D, then find space, then try to make a play , his effectiveness will drop..and I don't think he would be better in that situation than Dzingel or Tierney and I think today, he could be worse. I have also said before, and I will again, that Duchene as good as he is is harder to play with just because he is so unpredictable; He needs someone to look for ; like Hoffman ; or even a little at first like Batherson, Someone that can finish and make quick offensive plays.

Tkachuk White Stone
Dzingel Duchene Ryan
Smith Tierney Paul
Boedker Pyatt Rodewald

Have we tried this.? Why would this not work ?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Boucher quote

“Those three guys (White, Stone and Tkachuk) have worked so hard and they’re great to watch, but we need to have a team,” Boucher added. “It’s not that I wanted to split the line up, but I have to spread my hard working elements throughout the lineup.”

Sens shuffle: Guy Boucher takes blender to forward lines

Not a bad idea in theory, and we're on the road again vs Columbus without favorable matchups. He has spread out the lines before on the road.

Also rewarding Paul and Rodewald for good games and a couple others down to the fourth line as they haven't played well 5 on 5.

I would rather Boucher send a message to the slackers by benching them or making them a healthy scratch while playing a rookie. Wrecking the only line that works is not genius level thinking.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

The team has too many scrubs! That is part of the problem. Dorion is the cause of it.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
This roster is tapped out,everything has been tried and it cant get consistant results ...Maybe we could get a short boost from a new coach but it likely wouldnt last....We need to make purposeful changes to help the team and not ones based solely on EM,s finiacials

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Hey I agree we need to try something different. I think White is a catalyst that works well with Stone and Tkachuk. There is chemistry there There is some knowledge developed of where the other guy will be.. I agree Stone is a fantastic player that works well with just about anybody he plays with. He has taken 2 rookies under his wing and they've developed into a really good line. Now I just don't know what to expect. You are robbing from Peter to pay Paul in some ways and I am not sure you are going to gain much; and you stand to lose something. Even though Dzingel has not played well in stretches , is White an automatic upgrade on him to play with Duchene. I am not convinced of that. White has done well blending with Stone and Tkachuk because they support each other.. One goes in the corner to fight, he has support.. and White is effective playing like that .. If he is left on his own to out muscle the D, then find space, then try to make a play , his effectiveness will drop..and I don't think he would be better in that situation than Dzingel or Tierney and I think today, he could be worse. I have also said before, and I will again, that Duchene as good as he is is harder to play with just because he is so unpredictable; He needs someone to look for ; like Hoffman ; or even a little at first like Batherson, Someone that can finish and make quick offensive plays.

Tkachuk White Stone
Dzingel Duchene Ryan
Smith Tierney Paul
Boedker Pyatt Rodewald

Have we tried this.? Why would this not work ?

Much better but still not good enough.

Tierney needs to get the shock treatment: 4th line to light a fire under his derriere.
I would elevate Rodewald to 3rd line LW with Smith moving to center. Tell the trio to crash and bang or sit on the bench.
Boedker - Tierney - Pyatt would be minimal minutes 4th line to send a message.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
It's both a bad idea in theory and practice.

We aren't scoring much anymore, so let's make sure NONE of the lines are good!

As was said above, Boucher is his own worst enemy. He thinks he's much smarter than he is.

Problem is the Duchene line is hurting the team defensively. The Washington game another example of that. Worth trying

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Problem is the Duchene line is hurting the team defensively. The Washington game another example of that. Worth trying

That much is true, but like I said earlier, we won't be out-defending anyone with this roster. Best strategy is to keep the scorers together and hope they have a better night than the opposition. We're not winning a 2-1 game against Columbus.

Reactions: Deku

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Lmao yeah bouncing around the lineup half the time being on Smith’s wing. These sorts of things almost never motivate anyone to play better

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad