Pre-Game Talk: SENS in Chicago, Thursday night 8:30 pm

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009
Might want to tell pending UFA Duchene he's experiencing fake outrage...

Sure it will help the coming contract negotiations.

Only way either of Stone or Duchene signs with Ottawa is if we overpay for them.... anyone see that happening?

Gotta wonder how Melnyk got so rich in the first place, what he's doing will cost him money in the not too distant future. Or his plan is to trade Duche and Stone for a pile of rubber dung and say we gotta get younger and faster. Forget any real talent, that doesnt win cups...

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Only way either of Stone or Duchene signs with Ottawa is if we overpay for them.... anyone see that happening?

Gotta wonder how Melnyk got so rich in the first place, what he's doing will cost him money in the not too distant future. Or his plan is to trade Duche and Stone for a pile of rubber dung and say he gotta get younger and faster. Forget any real talent that doesnt win cups...

Any hope we had of retaining them vanished when the "we be rebuilding meow" video dropped.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Might want to tell pending UFA Duchene he's experiencing fake outrage...

Sure it will help the coming contract negotiations.

Yeah, his re-signing in Ottawa is 100% dependent on whether or not an overpaid ZS, and his 5 goals last season, remains in Ottawa.

iu

Studzle

Dec 1, 2013
Toronto
Yeah, his re-signing in Ottawa is 100% dependent on whether or not an overpaid ZS, and his 5 goals last season, remains in Ottawa.

iu
It certainly doesn’t help. Stone is watching all of his buddies get traded and replaced by rookies who probably should either be in junior or the AHL.

If Stone stays I will be absolutely shocked. Human nature is to win, especially for professional atheletes.

These guys know they aren’t winning anytime soon.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I love the fact that some posters and journalists are just now coming around to the idea that Sens moves are money motivated because of Zach Smith.

Umm, the moment EK went in the trade block the evidence was crystal clear. No other team in the NHL would have seriously considered getting rid of Karlsson.

Bah... it's been a while, it started slowly...

When we went through a partial rebuild in 2011, Murray traded several veterans WITHOUT taking any salary back (although it's understandable when you rebuild). Returns could have been different if you accommodate those teams with their salary cap situations. Ex : could have gotten a young players instead of picks.

in 2014, spent an additional 5th round pick to get retained salary on Hemsky, even though the Sens had plenty of cap space. That was the first sign of what would happen.

Trading Spezza and only getting Chiasson's salary ($900,000) back. Could potentially have had a different return if they took a veteran with salary left to be paid.

Lehner deal, could have gotten another asset on top of the 1st if we didn't have to make the Sabres take on Legwand last year salary ($3,500,000)

A 2nd round pick added to Zibanejad to avoid paying Brassard's bonus, so he would come even cheaper (10.0 salary for 3 years)

The Phaneuf deals. Complicated deals to make it work financially.

Hoffman for Boedker. MB is more attractive to a team like Ottawa because even though is cap hit is 4.0, his salary is only 3.0 for the next 2 years, and they expect 35-50 pts from him. Dollar per point baby. Even though Hoff's value was destroyed, probably could have gotten a better return if we were willing to take salary back.

Basically, Ryan is the last deal we've made that we were "let's not worry about finances, let's go for it!"

Even the Duchene deal wad dollar in dollar out with Turris going the other way.

Finally EK, Tierney is attractive for the Sens with a salary under 3.0 for the next 2 years, another guy they probably expect to put between 35 and 50 pts per season. DeMelo is also cheap... but seriously if they didn't take Braun back because he is more expensive, it's infuriating. The deal would be more acceptable with Braun instead of DeMelo, a solid top-4 D IMO.

Just on top of my head. The cap has been rising fast the last few years and it got Melnyk really concerned about the money in/money out stuff. 64.3 M$ in 2013-14 and almost 80 M$ 5 years later. Melnyk just couldn't (and/or didn't want to) follow the 15 M$ raise in such a short time span, that we like it or not.

Sure, he still makes money with other venues, but it's easy for him to see the hockey team and the arena venues as different entities, unfortunately for us.

Last edited:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
It certainly doesn’t help. Stone is watching all of his buddies get traded and replaced by rookies who probably should either be in junior or the AHL.

If Stone stays I will be absolutely shocked. Human nature is to win, especially for professional atheletes.

These guys know they aren’t winning anytime soon.

Pretty much all of last season, a segment of fans, who post in these threads wanted all the "old guys" shipped out, benched or sent to the AHL, and the younger players and rookies in Bellville elevated to the Senators NHL roster.

Reactions: Back in Black

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Pretty much all of last season, a segment of fans, who post in these threads wanted all the "old guys" shipped out, benched or sent to the AHL, and the younger players and rookies in Bellville elevated to the Senators NHL roster.

We didnt have the pool to try and start a rebuild ,and by trading our best assets for nothing we still dont have one..The timing of dong a complete teardown wasnt this season...There is playing the odd kid on the 3rd line,and there is gutting the entire team to play kids...The latter makes absolutely no sense when you dont even have a pick for the upcoming draft in the first round...

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Do we know the projected lineup for tonight?
by Craig Medaglia @craigmedaglia / Ottawa Senators

No line rushes this morning so here's my best guess at the projected forward lines:

Dzingel - Duchene - Boedker
Tkachuk - Smith - Stone
Forementon - Tierney - Ryan
McCormick - White - Chlapik

Still not sure who will be inactive tonight but here's a look at how the defence pairings could look in Chicago:

Chabot - Ceci
Wolanin - Borowiecki
Lajoie - Jaros
DeMelo - Harpur

Condo vs Forsberg

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

No line rushes this morning so here's my best guess at the projected forward lines:

Tkachuk - Smith - Stone

Still not sure who will be inactive tonight but here's a look at how the defence pairings could look in Chicago:

Chabot - Ceci
Wolanin - Borowiecki
Lajoie - Jaros
DeMelo - Harpur

Condo vs Forsberg

They were saying on the radio Wolanin isn't expected to play, has that changed?

I actually like the forward lines. Sub out McCormick for Paajarvi, and if I had my way swap Smith and Chlapik but overall not too bad.

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013

Tkachuk - Smith - Stone

Chabot - Ceci
Wolanin - Borowiecki
Lajoie - Jaros
DeMelo - Harpur

Condo vs Forsberg

Not inlove with our forward lines but it's the best we can do. Looking forward to the game.

Reactions: solidprospect

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
They were saying on the radio Wolanin isn't expected to play, has that changed?

I actually like the forward lines. Sub out McCormick for Paajarvi, and if I had my way swap Smith and Chlapik but overall not too bad.

The disconnect between management and coaching is quite evident only by looking at where Smith and Chlapik are being played.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad