Post-Game Talk: Sens in Buffalo, the Shawville Showdown, Round 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derivation

Jan 4, 2010
One regulation win since nov 7 iis a slap in the face. Develop the kids, and we'll get McDavid

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I don't want my team to be "bad enough" for anything. Losing is for suckers.

Tanking is for losers and I wouldnt be for it.. EXCEPT that the 1 piece that I think we are truly missing is a piece pretty much impossible to acquire through anything but great drafting. We have had 2 in our franchises life... one was drafted first overall... the other was drafted second overall. Its like looking at our team.. what are we missing.

1C.
an LW
a D
AND then, mixed with some time were done.

LW's can be had around the league. steep price but can be had. good ones.

same with a D.. I personally don't feel we need a world beater, just a solid guy.

a 1C. how do we acquire that. we literally can not. unles we strike gold later in the draft, and with how good scouting is becoming, most of the real talent is going early.
I see tanking as a transaction.. a trade almost. its a pipe dream more or less. but we are very close to the bottom five.. If we were missing any other position I wouldn't suggest the tank, I never have before.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Missed the entire game tonight due to prior commitments. Had it already ready to go on PVR until one of my coworkers told me the score. :rant: Actually now that I think of it I'm glad he did cause basically I just watched the highlights and we were bad. That's enough for me folks! **** me, what happened???:(

we were not bad! we lost it for about 5 minutes in the second.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Well, that's basically the regular day to day emotional roller coaster around here.

Win? We're turning the corner! We can make a run!

Lost? We are what we are, time for a top 5 pick.

You know what would be the worse? If we win too much to get out of the McDavid/Eichel. No matter what we are not in the playoffs contention unless we win 8 straight

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
....let's at least wait until February before we officially say we're in or out of contention for the playoffs.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
No they don't.

All shootout statistics don't count as individual stats, either for the skaters or the goalies.

I didn't say they counted for goalies or shooters. They count as GA for the team. There will be a discrepancy in the numbers between individuals and teams.

It's crazy to think that a decade after the shootout was implemented people still don't understand certain aspects of it

Ya for real.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I didn't say they counted for goalies or shooters. They count as GA for the team. There will be a discrepancy in the numbers between individuals and teams.

A shootout win counts as one "goal for" for the team, a shootout loss counts for one against.

If a team wins a shootout 6-5 in extra shooters, it still only counts for one GF for the winning team, and one GA for the loser. A goalie can lose a shootout 0-3, and it's stil only one GA for the team.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Sens have played like 21 (or more if you count empty net goal games) of their games decided by 1 goal. Problem for them is they only have 7 wins (7-8-6), They're close but they've been letting go too many attainable points...

It's great in my opinion because they are close to winning more consistently but in a draft like that, it will be worth it to pick around 8th-12th OA, which is the position I have envisioned this team to finish this season, around 20th. You can scream and curse all you want on players and coaching, management, owner, etc. but the end result will be about the same. If they make the playoffs? That'd be a great accomplishment, a bit like in 2012-13

So I don't see why people continue with their roller coaster of emotions, seems rather weak to me... It's a development year where we see future key players starting to get comfortable (Ceci, Cowen, Lehner, Hoffman, Stone, Lazar, Chiasson, Turris... etc)

Why are expectations for this team are so much higher than other teams like Oilers, Sabres, Isles, Flames, Panthers, etc? They are as young, as cheap, as inexperienced, small market...

Is it because management is trying to sell "playoffs" to people? What do you expect them to do? Saying, nah, chances are not super high that we make the playoffs... Wake up people, they are ticket sellers... Of course they are going to say they believe in their team. The Sens are not a rich team like the Habs or Leafs, they have to take time to rebuild, not enough money to buy shortcuts. So realize all this, or just continue to be mad :laugh:

Yeah, but Buffalo is going to play spoiler all season long. They have nothing to lose and are running on hot wheels right now.

I don't see why people are expecting Ottawa to be much better than Buffalo...

- Their line-up cost 2.5 M$ more
- They are 0.2 years younger but if you count out guys like Methot, Phillips, Neil who are not playing, the Sens are he younger team in the league
- They also have more NHL games experience, as crazy as it sounds, Sens have the least in the whole NHL

We're so much better defensively guys.

In 2/3 of Cameron's games we've let in 5 goals.

Under Maclean? Only two 5 GA in 27 games.

Ok so now an empty net and a shootout deciding goal (for the standings) are now used for saying "having given up 5 goals in a game"

How convenient?

s/o goals count as GA's.

New to the NHL? It counts in the standings only...

You're being either ignorant or dishonest. I hope it's because you just didn't know...

Notice how it says 83 GA :

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?fetchKey=20152ALLSAAAll&sort=goalsAgainst&viewName=goalsAgainst

And it's 86 GA in the standings because 3 SO loss...

:teach2:

Ouch..

4 points out of a top 5 pick.

Last time the team sucked, they got Zibanejad... Difference is that this draft should be a lot better than 2011, so Sens could get an even better young player... so if there's one year I don't mind the team missing the playoffs, it's this year. And you all know how I am against tanking, but I find the timing perfect... Like how the Flyers got a 2nd OA pick in 2007 or Habs got the 3rd OA in 2012, Sens should been allowed to suck as well. It will close out the rebuild too IMO.

Last edited:

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
a 1C. how do we acquire that. we literally can not. unles we strike gold later in the draft, and with how good scouting is becoming, most of the real talent is going early.

I see tanking as a transaction.. a trade almost. its a pipe dream more or less. but we are very close to the bottom five.. If we were missing any other position I wouldn't suggest the tank, I never have before.

If we do get a high pick, there are some interesting centres to look at in Zacha and Strome. Not a fan of Marner or Konecny because of size. Svechnikov as LW or Ds Roy and Kylington.

I see us at 5 with Kylington, Strome and Zacha sitting right there. And with our 2nds, Dergachev and Roy should be there for us if we want them.

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
....let's at least wait until February before we officially say we're in or out of contention for the playoffs.

Do we really need to wait that long, the team has been woefully inconsistent and is trending downward. This team was projected as a bubble team and it won't be that much of a surprise when we find ourselves in 9th or 10th in the place. The question I pose is when do the Sens either clean out the rest of the closet or make a trade to bust out of the bubble?

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I agree McEichel would be best bet for this team for next decade++

Wouldn't mind Hanifin too, aside from that naw im good.

Well, I know we just got over a losing skid of our own on Sunday, but it's pretty difficult to out-suck the bottom 3 teams right now.

Arizona L5
Carolina L5
Edmonton L4

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Well, that's basically the regular day to day emotional roller coaster around here.

Win? We're turning the corner! We can make a run!

Lost? We are what we are, time for a top 5 pick

whats funny about this is that it isn't emotions saying this... its the actual standing.. Win and were a few points out of the wild card.. lose and were a few points out of the bottom five.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Do we really need to wait that long, the team has been woefully inconsistent and is trending downward. This team was projected as a bubble team and it won't be that much of a surprise when we find ourselves in 9th or 10th in the place. The question I pose is when do the Sens either clean out the rest of the closet or make a trade to bust out of the bubble?

I agree. I really don't see use getting and staying ahead of Boston and NYR. They're gonna start heating up and we're just not gonna be consistent enough to stick around. Our only real shot is waiting for the classic TO collapse, but even then, we would need to stay ahead of Florida, and I could also see Philly and Columbus at least being respectable soon. I completely understand people who are against tanking, and I'm not saying we should tank, but I really don't want to see any knee jerk reactions that get us into a solid 9th place finish.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I agree. I really don't see use getting and staying ahead of Boston and NYR. They're gonna start heating up and we're just not gonna be consistent enough to stick around. Our only real shot is waiting for the classic TO collapse, but even then, we would need to stay ahead of Florida, and I could also see Philly and Columbus at least being respectable soon. I completely understand people who are against tanking, and I'm not saying we should tank, but I really don't want to see any knee jerk reactions that get us into a solid 9th place finish.

Never know what the future may hold. Matt Cooke may decide to stomp on Lundqvists' achilles the next time those two teams meet. Boston's geriatrics might just fall apart completely by January. And Toronto, well, we know what happens to them every March.

Heck, for all we know Karlsson & Ryan might get a super mega version of the mumps and be out for a month or two and we end up with McDavid.

Point I'm making is, deciding to tank or go for it in December is way too early.

For the record, I don't want to see any crazy trades. Under no circumstances should we part with our 2015 first rounder, or any of our 'core' kids.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Never know what the future may hold. Matt Cooke may decide to stomp on Lundqvists' achilles the next time those two teams meet. Boston's geriatrics might just fall apart completely by January. And Toronto, well, we know what happens to them every March.

Heck, for all we know Karlsson & Ryan might get a super mega version of the mumps and be out for a month or two and we end up with McDavid.

Point I'm making is, deciding to tank or go for it in December is way too early.

For the record, I don't want to see any crazy trades. Under no circumstances should we part with our 2015 first rounder, or any of our 'core' kids.

This is the most important part. I'm ok with jettisoning some useless bodies (Greening, Phillips, etc.), but no core kids should be moved.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Anyone else notice that we essentially can never really get all the guys going at once, one week it's one set of guys playing really well and another who cannot find their game. Then the next week it's like reversed....so strange lol

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Hoffman will be a superstar.

He took over the entire OT it was just an unbelievable display.

Zibanejad also playing like a completely diff player. Same as last year. Ryan playing brilliantly.

Hoffmans iCorsi numbers are pretty awesome.

Can't remember his team Corsi, but I am sure it is awesome as well.

Chiasson on the other hand, his iCorsi is horrible.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Hard to blame Lehner for any of the goals last night.

That said Andy will likely be the starter.

I don't know. Two of the goals were kind of weak 5 hole goals. But maybe I'm too harsh on the guy since our goalies have been playing at such a high level.

Still, he does seem to have problems with rebounds which inflates the number of shots he faces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad