Confirmed with Link: Sens hire Pierre McGuire

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Strange hire by a strange Owner.

If the team just wanted good pro scouting and contacts they could have done a lot more, sooner, and cheaper. It would also be disruptive to Dorion having a much bigger name as his Assistant.

Only way to interpret this is that Pierre thinks he's going to be GM when Dorion gets canned. Melnyk likewise. So it should be a dysfunctional work environment until then.

Dorian has 1 year left? Pierre 3?
Not sure how MGuire is a much bigger name, he's been out of the league for the last 20 years...

I mean, he's a recognizable name because he's a media personality, but he isn't some coveted front office guy that all the other teams wanted he has no recent track record in the GM role, or any front office role for that matter.

Reactions: Cosmix

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I'm not à fan of this move. Pierre McGuire has been rumoured for jobs around the league for decades, and never seems to get hired.

His TV personality is knowing small trivial bits of information about many players and just repeating it at high volume. That's not information that helps you run a hockey team.

I hope I'm wrong, but, I don't think this works out well for us.
I like Pierre. But to be honest this is part of what worries me. If you’re going to fool anyone it’s going to be Eugene so I hope that’s not what’s going on with PM here.

As long as he doesn’t overstep and try and steer/influence the Mann bros it should be good overall. Hopefully he can help PD in his areas of weakness.

Reactions: Emrasie

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Not sure how MGuire is a much bigger name, he's been out of the league for the last 20 years...

I mean, he's a recognizable name because he's a media personality, but he isn't some coveted front office guy that all the other teams wanted he has no recent track record in the GM role, or any front office role for that matter.

So what you're saying is he likely costs less than someone with a track record over the last twenty years.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I like this move. Say what you will, but PM knows hockey. He just does. He has likely forgotten more than most people will ever learn. You can like or dislike him all you want but he knows the league and the players. He knows tons of college programs. He has connections everywhere. The sheer volume of information he possesses makes him an asset.

This is a great hire.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I like this move. Say what you will, but PM knows hockey. He just does. He has likely forgotten more than most people will ever learn. You can like or dislike him all you want but he knows the league and the players. He knows tons of college programs. He has connections everywhere. The sheer volume of information he possesses makes him an asset.

This is a great hire.
The role he’s in is perfect. Absolutely maximizes his skill set.

I’d take him by himself over our entire pro scouting catalog.

Gives another layer of questioning for Dorion, can help push/veto trades and signings.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Maybe it's because the majority of my experience with McGuire is listening to him on the radio but I don't think this is a bad hiring. He's extremely knowledgeable, he's a super passionate person about the game of hockey, he has the ability to do media in a professional way for a team that has lacked significantly in that department, he's a great sounding board for GM + scouts on players to acquire and I think he brings a certain level of credibility to his position having been in broadcasting and watching players at ice level for so long.

Obviously, the fact he hasn't been in a management/front office position for the last 20-something years would be of concern but I feel his attributes can overcome that.

I'm a wait and see kind of person but I think it's encouraging anytime this team takes a step in the right direction.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

This is a great hire.
Yup, it is the perfect role for him and a huge win for us imo. I suspect our "bang for buck" on this hire will be fantastic.

I would be interested to see some interviews with McGuire where he talks about our needs. I am sure there are some out there on 1200. Would give an interesting window into our direction, or at least what he believes it should be.

Reactions: slamigo

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Sweet Jesus.
I’ve always wanted Maguire hired somewhere so I could follow the weirdness…and it’s us lol
Definitely needed someone/anyone for Dorion to bounce things off of and knows people around the league. I just….*sigh* I hope this works.

I mean we are going from one guy who has a hard time communicating to a guy with a very noticeable weirdness to him doing all the communicating. This all has the potential to be really…weird.
Good luck to all longs. lol

Reactions: Cosmix

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
What have been the biggest weaknesses with Senators management in recent years? Pro scouting and media relations. McGuire addresses both of those. Even if he isn't pro scouting himself, his relationships with people around the league could help the Senators find better pro scouting candidates.

I don't know if he's signed on because he didn't find a place to land on tv, though I'd find it hard to believe that TSN or Sportsnet wouldn't sign him, but I look at it as him seeing the opportunity for the Senators to make a huge leap forward and he'd like to be in a position get some credit for it. If the Senators do well, it might have other team's looking more favourably at him for a GM role. And if things turn dire maybe he replaces Dorion. Right now there's no one else in the organization that could take over from Dorion even on an interim role.

JimmySpaetzle

May 16, 2014
So people complain that our front office is too thin, and then complain when we hire a very knowledgeable hockey guy to fill a role... I’d take Pierre McGuire any day of the week over some nobody who’s coming outta being a manager in Junior like we usually hire

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Strange hire by a strange Owner.

If the team just wanted good pro scouting and contacts they could have done a lot more, sooner, and cheaper. It would also be disruptive to Dorion having a much bigger name as his Assistant.

Only way to interpret this is that Pierre thinks he's going to be GM when Dorion gets canned. Melnyk likewise. So it should be a dysfunctional work environment until then.

Dorian has 1 year left? Pierre 3?

I could not tell who reached out to PM first; Melnyk or Dorion. I got the impression it was Melnyk.

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
Eugene is no different than we are. He saw the trades and free agent signings of the last 2 years and went, ouch. He knew that he needed an overseer at the pro end.

Who cares whether it is Pierre McGuire or any other person, what is important? Melnyk recognized it and took some steps to correct it.

Dorion is an amateur scout/development guy. J. Clark needs a new organization. As long as the Mann brothers are here for another 2-3 years, the foundation they lay will last for 6-10 years. The Pro side though, that is a killer. Even brilliant moves will only last 3-5 seasons. The pro side must perform consistently. You make a bad draft, you get a kid that never develops and costs you 3 years of 85 K minor league salary. You make a bad trade or free agent signing and he is here for 3-5 years and you are paying serious coin and the ripple effect is felt for years.

Eugene..good move, regardless of the "who", the "what" is important...Let's hope more Toffolis and less Dadonovs.

Reactions: Emrasie and Cosmix

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
I'm guessing Pierre isn't thrilled about this. He's always had to answer to Eugene, but he's never had anyone inside the FO who posed a serious challenge to his decision-making authority. That has changed.

Reactions: bert and Cosmix

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad