Confirmed with Link: Sens hire Pierre McGuire

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
For years he's expressed his appreciation for Colin White - who was not one of the twelve players spoken of by McGuire in Brucey's exclusive scoop (Norris was). Could have been an editorial thing, but I'm interested to see how he approaches the White situation now.
I do recall him once giving an insane production prediction for White. He definitely called that one wrong.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I'm not à fan of this move. Pierre McGuire has been rumoured for jobs around the league for decades, and never seems to get hired.

His TV personality is knowing small trivial bits of information about many players and just repeating it at high volume. That's not information that helps you run a hockey team.

I hope I'm wrong, but, I don't think this works out well for us.

Dorion and Mcquire get along well so I’m happy for Dorion because he could use some support.

Reactions: OgieO

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
For years he's expressed his appreciation for Colin White - who was not one of the twelve players spoken of by McGuire in Brucey's exclusive scoop (Norris was). Could have been an editorial thing, but I'm interested to see how he approaches the White situation now.

McGuire is the main reason people around here were expecting him to be a Bergeron lol.

wonder how hard Simmer already been begging PM to get him a job

Reactions: SensHulk

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
McGuire is the main reason people around here were expecting him to be a Bergeron lol.

my lasting memory of Pierre Mcquire will be his comments at the draft questioning the Carey Price pick and praising the Brian Lee pick - this happened 30 minutes apart and kinda sums up my thoughts on his hockey know how

Reactions: otown

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I'm not à fan of this move. Pierre McGuire has been rumoured for jobs around the league for decades, and never seems to get hired.

His TV personality is knowing small trivial bits of information about many players and just repeating it at high volume. That's not information that helps you run a hockey team.

counter point

his radio segments where he is just himself and no TV personality… those radio segments show off an incredible knowledge of the game

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
my lasting memory of Pierre Mcquire will be his comments at the draft questioning the Carey Price pick and praising the Brian Lee pick - this happened 30 minutes apart and kinda sums up my thoughts on his hockey know how

He also told Sens fans to chill and that EK was a great pick when they werent happy bout that one.

You can do your exercise to any draft person on TV. No one bats 1000

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
He also told Sens fans to chill and that EK was a great pick when they werent happy bout that one.

You can do your exercise to any draft person on TV. No one bats 1000

true. But to have the great idea not to draft Carey Price because you have Jose Theodore is like saying don’t draft Thomas Chabot because you have EK - stupid.

Lots to like, work ethic, Dorion likes him, media experience, hockey network.

But he is annoying, and condescending.

Reactions: Sicko

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
jesus christ

Pierre Mcquire on Jesus Christ “I’m telling you he blew my socks off. The maturity of this kid, and I’m telling you, he’s going to be a player. Family man, I even told Scotty Bowman about him and Scotty was like “I wanna meet this Jesus”.” Wasn’t in the best development leagues as a kid, played most of his hockey in a manger but I’m telling you, thick bottom half. Hockey Sense is off the charts - god like almost, or Alfie like as they say here in Ottawa. He blew me away, he really did. Reminds me of a younger Phil Kessel”

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
true. But to have the great idea not to draft Carey Price because you have Jose Theodore is like saying don’t draft Thomas Chabot because you have EK - stupid.

I wouldnt fault anyone for having a (wrong) hot take on a goalie at the time of the draft unless they were a former goalie.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Goalies are notoriously hard to project at the draft and Theodore was a very recent Hart/Vezina winner coming off a strong season. Changes to equipment after the lockout seem to have shifted the league towards bigger goalies, these are tough secondary effects to predict.

Lots of people are against drafting goalies that high, Price turned out to be a good pick but it's not like MaGuire is the only guy to shy away from selecting goalies high.

As for Lee, I really wanted Kopitar, so I won't defend the selection, but the selection gets criticised more than is fair imo, Lee had an undiagnosed degenerative knee problem that started causing him big issues early in his Tim as a Sen, he was on the drive with Mendes talking about how he couldn't do a lot of the lower body workouts because his knees were shot at 20 or 21.

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown

I'm not a fan of his at all, but to your point, he's been rumoured for jobs around the league because he's been interviewing for GM jobs. He had a massive salary at NBC, no way he'd leave that for anything less than the primetime of being an NHL GM.

But he's no longer at NBC, and likely (rightfully) sees this as an opportunity to work his way towards being GM in a year. So he'll take the $45K and wait in the weeds.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Pierre Mcquire on Jesus Christ “I’m telling you he blew my socks off. The maturity of this kid, and I’m telling you, he’s going to be a player. Family man, I even told Scotty Bowman about him and Scotty was like “I wanna meet this Jesus”.” Wasn’t in the best development leagues as a kid, played most of his hockey in a manger but I’m telling you, thick bottom half. Hockey Sense is off the charts - god like almost, or Alfie like as they say here in Ottawa. He blew me away, he really did. Reminds me of a younger Phil Kessel”
Wham, Kabaam.. And that's a double Jesus

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuna99

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Goalies are notoriously hard to project at the draft and Theodore was a very recent Hart/Vezina winner coming off a strong season. Changes to equipment after the lockout seem to have shifted the league towards bigger goalies, these are tough secondary effects to predict.

Lots of people are against drafting goalies that high, Price turned out to be a good pick but it's not like MaGuire is the only guy to shy away from selecting goalies high.

As for Lee, I really wanted Kopitar, so I won't defend the selection, but the selection gets criticised more than is fair imo, Lee had an undiagnosed degenerative knee problem that started causing him big issues early in his Tim as a Sen, he was on the drive with Mendes talking about how he couldn't do a lot of the lower body workouts because his knees were shot at 20 or 21.

All good. Doesn’t change the fact that he was 100% wrong. Carey price was touted as the best goalie prospect ever so let’s not pretend Carey Price was a 4th round selection. I think he was ranked #3 in he final rankings.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I'm not a fan of his at all, but to your point, he's been rumoured for jobs around the league because he's been interviewing for GM jobs. He had a massive salary at NBC, no way he'd leave that for anything less than the primetime of being an NHL GM.

But he's no longer at NBC, and likely (rightfully) sees this as an opportunity to work his way towards being GM in a year. So he'll take the $45K and wait in the weeds.
45k? He’s not an intern

Agree with the overarching point though

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Would Montreal have won a cup with Kopitar instead of Price ?

Reactions: MCNSTY

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
All good. Doesn’t change the fact that he was 100% wrong. Carey price was touted as the best goalie prospect ever so let’s not pretend Carey Price was a 4th round selection. I think he was ranked #3 in he final rankings.
No he wasn’t

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad