Confirmed with Link: Sens hire Pierre McGuire

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
I’m not gonna be mad about adding some experience to the FO, even if it is Pierre. I’ve been praying we’d get Dorion some help so I’m not complaining about this at all.

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
All good. Doesn’t change the fact that he was 100% wrong. Carey price was touted as the best goalie prospect ever so let’s not pretend Carey Price was a 4th round selection. I think he was ranked #3 in he final rankings.

Not sure what final rankings you are referring too, but ISS is the only combined 2005 ranking I could find with a quick search (central scouting separates NA EU and goalie lists) and ISS had him 10th.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
many fans in Ottawa hoped price would slip to #10 and lots of talk that goalies slide on draft days and could to Ottawa. And I think Ottawa had interest.
I’m sure they did, and it would have been lights out instead of Lee. But he wasn’t the best goalie prospect ever, and he was rated 7th on McKenzie’s list.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Honestly, I don't mind it, might explain why he wasn't part of the roster for the new nation tv deal in the states.

He has a personality that rubs people the wrong way on TV, and can come off a dink but so long as he's not the guy making the final calls and there's a safeguard in place, he could add to the team

My biggest fear is this is Melnyk putting a guy in position to take over as GM in anticipation of firing Dorion. I'm not Dorion's biggest fan, but I don't care for Maguire as a potential replacement...
It's well known that Mcguire has been trying to be a GM for a while. He was outspoken about it on the radio. There is little doubt in my mind he takes this job if he doesn't think it's going to give him the inside track on being the sens next GM.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It's well known that Mcguire has been trying to be a GM for a while. He was outspoken about it on the radio. There is little doubt in my mind he takes this job if he doesn't think it's going to give him the inside track on being the sens next GM.

I don't disagree, though he might see it as a jumping point to opportunity across the league not just the sens.

If we do poorly, he might get a shot with us should Dorion get canned. If we do well, maybe another team promotes him.

What I don't know is what came first, him getting looked at for this role, or him not being included in the on air roster for ESPN.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I think there's a big difference between TV Pierre McGuire and how he'll be in the office. On TV he's paid to entertain, so he's over the top.

I think he knows this isn't an opportunity that will come along that often. He's been on the road for 23 years! Imagine how happy he will be to have more family time? I think he'll work his ass off to make sure he earns the position, and gains experience to eventually advance to a more prominent front office position.

Reactions: Sicko and Cosmix

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
This could change how we draft later this month.

McGuire is a huge proponent of drafting goalies and Europeans.

Wallstedt is very much in play now..

Reactions: PatrickMcC

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Its shame we didn't hire McGuire earlier when Dion was part of the club.

The bro love would have been epic to watch lol

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He loves American players. Sens have lots of those, no surprise to me that he took this job. There is probably a mandate to make the playoffs this year and if they don't it could be an opportunity. I am glad that he is here from a pro scouting perspective they need the help. I am just worried about the chaos that could ensue if Dorion feels too much pressure to win now and starts pushing before the organization should.

Reactions: Emrasie

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I have a hard time believing we'd let a guy come in 2 weeks out from the draft and have any drastic influence on our draft list... Would be a slap in the face of Mann and his team imo.

I'm not saying they won't include him in the process, but don't expect any course changes quite yet.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I have a hard time believing we'd let a guy come in 2 weeks out from the draft and have any drastic influence on our draft list... Would be a slap in the face of Mann and his team imo.

I'm not saying they won't include him in the process, but don't expect any course changes quite yet.
Won’t have any impact on the draft whatsoever

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He loves American players. Sens have lots of those, no surprise to me that he took this job. There is probably a mandate to make the playoffs this year and if they don't it could be an opportunity. I am glad that he is here from a pro scouting perspective they need the help. I am just worried about the chaos that could ensue if Dorion feels too much pressure to win now and starts pushing before the organization should.

I think where he will make his first impact will be to get involved in this summer's UFA/trade decisions as well as planing around the expansion draft.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Wallstedt has always been in play depending how the first 9 picks go. McTavish, Hughes and Clarke are 3 guys they would try to move up for.

Reactions: Bileur

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Notes on his TSN1200 interview:

Pierre and Pierre have had fantastic discussions over the last 5 days.

Melnyk reached out around Father's Day. Had been in constant contact since then. Was an intense process.

had a very long discussion with Dorion yesterday. They see things the same way.

Sens are set for the Expansion Draft. Said the Sens have already done a lot there.

His position is VP of Player Development. Working with Donovan and Jesse Winchester, along with the AHL people in Player Development.

Will be involved in all player discussions (draft, trades, etc).

His family is moving to Ottawa ASAP. Already have their house for sale in Connecticut. He's diving right into working with the Sens. Not working from a distance. That was one of the things he said to Eugene. Wanted to make sure he's not a consultant for the team. Looking forward to speaking with everyone in the organization. Knows a lot of people here already.

On his knowledge from working in broadcasting: very grateful to TSN and NBC. Has worked over 2000 games in his career, made a ton of connections. Is looking forward to working with DJ and Dorion and the Mann bros. Said the Sens amateur scouts are tops in the league. Is really looking forward to working with them.

Brings fresh eyes to the Sens. Has years of experience being an unbiased eye in player evaluating from his broadcasting. Thinks that will help with his assessment of players.

He's been in touch with a lot of player agents the last few days. He expects a lot of NHL business around the league will kick off this week.

He's so excited to get into a front office. His first converstion with Dorion was like "Wow, this is awesome." the emotion high of being involved with putting together a team is amazing.

His wife and mother are extremely excited.

his experience from applying for other front office jobs helped him get here because he's done so much due diligence with preparing for jobs with other teams. He brings all that knowledge here. Melnyk liked that.

On Ottawa. Team has a brilliant plan in place. Amateur scouts are amazing. Had the best draft in the NHL last year. Doesn't want to change that stuff. Will let the coaches do their things. Really excited about the direction of the team.

Sens don't have much media outreach from the front office. Melnyk talked about this to McGuire, and McGuire will handle a lot more media relations stuff.

He let Dorion tell the Sens staff of the hire first. McGuire is going to start out mid-day today to reach out to Sens organization people.

Big part of the decision was the appeal of working in a Canadian market.

First meeting with Melnyk was almost 2 hours.

McGuire really wanted to get back into hockey and in a hockey market and Ottawa is a great fit.

interview over.

My own impression, he's excited as all hell to have a front office job.

I think he wasn't trying to shake the fence on anyhting in the interview. He said he agreed with Dorion on a lot of things...which is good, but I'd also like him to disagree in areas so they can have constructive discussions about things.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Notes on his TSN1200 interview:

Pierre and Pierre have had fantastic discussions over the last 5 days.

Melnyk reached out around Father's Day. Had been in constant contact since then. Was an intense process.

had a very long discussion with Dorion yesterday. They see things the same way.

Sens are set for the Expansion Draft. Said the Sens have already done a lot there.

His position is VP of Player Development. Working with Donovan and Jesse Winchester, along with the AHL people in Player Development.

Will be involved in all player discussions (draft, trades, etc).

His family is moving to Ottawa ASAP. Already have their house for sale in Connecticut. He's diving right into working with the Sens. Not working from a distance. That was one of the things he said to Eugene. Wanted to make sure he's not a consultant for the team. Looking forward to speaking with everyone in the organization. Knows a lot of people here already.

On his knowledge from working in broadcasting: very grateful to TSN and NBC. Has worked over 2000 games in his career, made a ton of connections. Is looking forward to working with DJ and Dorion and the Mann bros. Said the Sens amateur scouts are tops in the league. Is really looking forward to working with them.

Brings fresh eyes to the Sens. Has years of experience being an unbiased eye in player evaluating from his broadcasting. Thinks that will help with his assessment of players.

He's been in touch with a lot of player agents the last few days. He expects a lot of NHL business around the league will kick off this week.

He's so excited to get into a front office. His first converstion with Dorion was like "Wow, this is awesome." the emotion high of being involved with putting together a team is amazing.

His wife and mother are extremely excited.

his experience from applying for other front office jobs helped him get here because he's done so much due diligence with preparing for jobs with other teams. He brings all that knowledge here. Melnyk liked that.

On Ottawa. Team has a brilliant plan in place. Amateur scouts are amazing. Had the best draft in the NHL last year. Doesn't want to change that stuff. Will let the coaches do their things. Really excited about the direction of the team.

Sens don't have much media outreach from the front office. Melnyk talked about this to McGuire, and McGuire will handle a lot more media relations stuff.

He let Dorion tell the Sens staff of the hire first. McGuire is going to start out mid-day today to reach out to Sens organization people.

Big part of the decision was the appeal of working in a Canadian market.

First meeting with Melnyk was almost 2 hours.

McGuire really wanted to get back into hockey and in a hockey market and Ottawa is a great fit.

interview over.

My own impression, he's excited as all hell to have a front office job.

I think he wasn't trying to shake the fence on anyhting in the interview. He said he agreed with Dorion on a lot of things...which is good, but I'd also like him to disagree in areas so they can have constructive discussions about things.
Missed the interview but I see in your Coles notes there was no mention of praise towards the pro Scouts...

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
Strange hire by a strange Owner.

If the team just wanted good pro scouting and contacts they could have done a lot more, sooner, and cheaper. It would also be disruptive to Dorion having a much bigger name as his Assistant.

Only way to interpret this is that Pierre thinks he's going to be GM when Dorion gets canned. Melnyk likewise. So it should be a dysfunctional work environment until then.

Dorian has 1 year left? Pierre 3?

Reactions: Cosmix

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad